U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,149,986 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that many of you have had the odd affair another forum somewhere. Luckily, there is a "don't as, don't tell" policy around here.

I find City Data to be one of the better forums, and I think that there are a few things that could be improved. How about you? After your brief moments of infidelity with other forums, why do you keep coming back for more punishment, and why do you enjoy the odd fling with another site?

Here are a couple of pros and cons I can think of about City Data:

Pros:
1) A good wide mix of people.
2) Excellent moderators.
3) Lots of contributors. This is good because you can always find someone who wants to discuss just about anything. Some of my strange interest subjects go unanswered on other sites with less users because of too few contributors.
4) A global audience, which provides a wide range of viewpoints and perspectives.
5) The forum software is very user friendly and efficient. Posting lists, pictures, and the like takes less time and effort here as it does on other forums I've come across.
6) Good prize forum contests.

Cons:
1) The Jokes section is too restrictive, in my view.
2) No ability to save drafts. This is a handy feature on other sites, especially when you are in the middle of typing a long post, and then your wife hints that it's time to go to bed.
4) The inability to change posts after 90 minutes of posting is a drag sometimes.
3) Nothing else that I can think of off the top of my head. Keep up the good work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM

386 posts, read 608,995 times
CD is definitely moderated better here and i like that they don't let everyone go around calling each other obscene names.

But sometimes the mods cant take a joke

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,911,588 times
Pro: Excellent variety of forums
Con: No Google type search tool
Con: No way to present tabular data
Con (I think): Search results don't seem to be chronological

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM

10,855 posts, read 5,719,139 times
Top 2 reasons, by far, that I like C-D:
Pro: I can immediately tell which threads I've posted in, from the list in any section (this is what I miss most everywhere else!).
Pro: Can upload images to albums here, whereas at other sites I must have an "image host" elsewhere, offsite (which I lack).

Then there's also:
Pro: Thread preview, so I don't waste my time clicking on something I don't want to read.
Pro: Those sneakily addictive rep points-even though they're meaningless and arbitrary, they're very reinforcing & I miss being able to just rep someone on other sites.
Pro: Moderation which keeps things somewhat safer and more civil than at another site I belong to, yet it's not so heavy-handed as it is at a different site I belong to. It's "just right", mostly.

Con: Sometimes I would rather focus on my narrow interests or indulge my idiosyncrasies a bit more,
so I go elsewhere because I've run out of stuff I can discuss on C-D.
But I always end up coming back here the most.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,278,544 times
I would like to see moderators of some of the more controversial forums refrain from posting their strong views as a poster and then quickly switch to moderator mode to silence anyone who disagrees with their strong views.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM

10,317 posts, read 7,722,193 times
Moderator cut: no details here, please

But it is a heck of a lot better than some other boards I have been on. I posted on 4 other message boards in the past and have been posting for 13.5 years. City Data is by far the best and it is currently the only board I post on. As someone pointed out the selection of the forums can't be beat.

Last edited by Marka; 11-07-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM

7,288 posts, read 12,019,473 times
I like the variety of topics. I dislike moderator cuts on threads, as well as closing threads and deleting comments. I think the latter should be done in extreme circumstances - and I think it's just weird that some forums are allowed to be completely insulting as a way of life and in others there is zero tolerance.

The rule about not being able to discuss specific issues is irritating but I understand the politics of not allowing criticism of "high ranking officials" (lol).

I have a philosophical belief that there is no benefit to suppression - when stuff is suppressed, it just comes out sideways.

Overall, it's an entertaining forum quite often.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,012,195 times
If one likes general forums CD is as good as it gets..
I guess most forums have a few cons, for me its topics being closed for no apparent reason or no explanation given.
Pros= You can spend hours on this forum, its very active.
And you can win $500

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,955,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Con... 2) No ability to save drafts. This is a handy feature on other sites, especially when you are in the middle of typing a long post, and then your wife hints that it's time to go to bed.
Just copy it to a DM and send it to yourself for safe keeping.

I use DMs as my drafts a lot (since they utilize the same edit options as posts) whenever I am working on something lengthy that I'll eventually post, and when I reach a stopping point, just send these DMs to myself. I then can go back and edit them all I want and when finished, just copy the DM contents directly into a post. That's how I've built the lengthy Relo Indexes like the one for Dallas and other lists I've put together where there is a lot of research involved before they can be posted. I also use these DMs to myself to store links that I want to keep for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Con: No Google type search tool
But you can use Google to search for anything posted on City-Data!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Con (I think): Search results don't seem to be chronological
You can perform a search on threads or posts in chronological order - by going to Search Options by on your Search page and changing the Sort Results by to Last Posting Date (this will bring up the most recent threads or posts first w/oldest last) - you then have the choice to read the most recent thread or post first on the first page, or by clicking on the last page, to start reading from the oldest.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-07-2013 at 05:47 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM

28,736 posts, read 43,787,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
2) No ability to save drafts. This is a handy feature on other sites, especially when you are in the middle of typing a long post, and then your wife hints that it's time to go to bed.
I copy paste to either NotePad or Word and save it to the desktop. I like the idea of using a DM though. Keep all the formatting and it stays within the system.

Con: Lopsided moderating. I've had my share of WTH? infractions and DMs that show a lack of comprehension on the part of a mod.

And I'm guessing this post will be edited or deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum