U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM
 
3,226 posts, read 3,575,016 times
Reputation: 1494

Advertisements

I cannot find the thread that I want. So, will just go this route. Did you know that a news group (I assume news) is copying threads from this web site and sending them out as newsletters> Disgus Digest newsletter just arrived in my Gmail box with the thread that started by listing five stores that refused to open on Thanksgiving Day. This is the second such I have received. Some time back one of their newsletters had a thread that came from this web site.

Am I behind the times? Is this sort of thing done all the time and accepted? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Florida
22,636 posts, read 23,257,513 times
Reputation: 26722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I cannot find the thread that I want. So, will just go this route. Did you know that a news group (I assume news) is copying threads from this web site and sending them out as newsletters> Disgus Digest newsletter just arrived in my Gmail box with the thread that started by listing five stores that refused to open on Thanksgiving Day. This is the second such I have received. Some time back one of their newsletters had a thread that came from this web site.

Am I behind the times? Is this sort of thing done all the time and accepted? Thank you.
I'm just curious since I have no capacity to say anything in an official manner.
Are they referenced as originating on CD?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 AM
 
3,226 posts, read 3,575,016 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm just curious since I have no capacity to say anything in an official manner.
Are they referenced as originating on CD?
I see nothing about CD on it. There are a few lines that mean nothing to me. Beneath the headline it says "You starred this / Newser / 39 comments." "You starred this" should refer to me starring a letter in Gmail but I have nothing in Gmail. So that must have come from Disque.

Father down it says "View full discussion on Newser" . Also says, "Use the star to add discussions to digests". And "Feedback on Disque Digests? Let us know!"

So, what is Newser?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
 
3,226 posts, read 3,575,016 times
Reputation: 1494
Does no reply mean this is acceptable and, perhaps goes on with most forums? I'd really like to know. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,534 posts, read 46,826,517 times
Reputation: 31111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Does no reply mean this is acceptable and, perhaps goes on with most forums? I'd really like to know. Thanks.
No. Not getting a reply does not automatically mean something is acceptable. But I really do not know what the situation is. I guess you received some kind of e-mail from "Newser" Probably Newser | Headline News Summaries, World News, and Breaking News, which is a website which claims to bring stories from hundreds of US and international sources... I do not see where they referenced anything about City-Data. If they did, well maybe what they said is not acceptable or it might be. City-Data has appeared on various news sites and I believe on TV also. But you haven't provided much information. I don't know what else there is to do.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-03-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 AM
 
3,226 posts, read 3,575,016 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No. Not getting a reply does not automatically mean something is acceptable. But I really do not know what the situation is. I guess you received some kind of e-mail from "Newser" Probably Newser | Headline News Summaries, World News, and Breaking News, which is a website which claims to bring stories from hundreds of US and international sources... I do not see where they referenced anything about City-Data. If they did, well maybe what they said is not acceptable or it might be. City-Data has appeared on various news sites and I believe on TV also. But you haven't provided much information. I don't know what else there is to do.
All right, thank you. No, there was no reference to City Data, just the thread itself as it appeared here. Makes one wonder how many others get copied. I had signed up because they said they bring news summaries from around the world. Don't hear from them often but have had those two with City Data threads. Ah well, it's the internet.

Thanks for reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top