Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

I received many photos from friends and sometimes, I would like to post them online to share with other city posters.

My pictures have been deleted several times and I received couple infractions due to copy right violation.

My question is: Do people automatically receive infraction from posting copy right protected materials?

I've seen other posters post historical photos from wwII and the photos reminds on the thread.

What photos can be posted? What photos cannot? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,428,220 times
From the Terms of Service:

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I received many photos from friends and sometimes, I would like to post them online to share with other city posters.

My pictures have been deleted several times and I received couple infractions due to copy right violation.

My question is: Do people automatically receive infraction from posting copy right protected materials?

I've seen other posters post historical photos from wwII and the photos reminds on the thread.

What photos can be posted? What photos cannot? Thanks.
Just get the owners' permission to use them before posting them. If you cannot arrange that, assume that they are copyrighted, and do not use them.

Many older photos can be posted from government archives, and have no known copyright protection.
Some photos are available for anyone to use, any way they might choose, with no restriction.

As far as "automatic" infractions for copyright violations, I have no clue, but I support that method of support for copyright.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Got it. Thanks!!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many older photos can be posted from government archives, and have no known copyright protection.
Anything produced by the government is not copyrighted with a few exceptions, for example some photos you might find on NASA's site taken from the Hubble may be copyrighted by a third party that was operating the telescope but even then that material usually has a very non restrictive license.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
When i first joined the forum i would post quite a few pics, some were evidently copyright infringements some werent, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for what was allowed and what wasnt, most of the pics i posted were from Google images and i made sure there were no copyright markings yet i got several infractions for posting copyrighted material..Lesson learned? put a link to all pics instead of posting them straight to a post.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i first joined the forum i would post quite a few pics, some were evidently copyright infringements some werent, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for what was allowed and what wasnt, most of the pics i posted were from Google images and i made sure there were no copyright markings yet i got several infractions for posting copyrighted material..Lesson learned? put a link to all pics instead of posting them straight to a post.
I probably have 20,000 photos on line. And, I retain all rights to all of them, by default.
I have let some people use some of them, when permission is requested. I defend my rights when I want to. I have asked some users to take photos down, and even have had hosting firms step in and take them down when the user has failed to do so.

Not one of them has a © or "Copyright" watermark on the photo. The rights are reserved by default, marked on the pages where they are, and there is no reason to have to degrade the images with watermark. I just go after the violators when I feel like it.

GOOG Images, Flickr, etc, do not own photos and cannot give or reserve permissions. Assume that the person who took the photo reserves all rights; don't use photos without express permission; and you will not have issues.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I can see your logic if i were to use your photos to make money but just to post a one time photo from Google images to show an example of a piece of equipment or to show an example of a particular place i dont think is doing any one any harm and is not cause for infractions on a forum particularly when i have no idea who put the pic on Google images or if it is indeed copyrighted..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I can see your logic if i were to use your photos to make money but just to post a one time photo from Google images to show an example of a piece of equipment or to show an example of a particular place i dont think is doing any one any harm and is not cause for infractions on a forum particularly when i have no idea who put the pic on Google images or if it is indeed copyrighted..
There are no photos "from Google Images." They only come from people who shoot photos. Google finds images when you search for images.

After you swipe my photo without permission, why shouldn't the next guy or the guy after him, and use my stuff in ways I don't like, and cannot control?

Copyright violation certainly is valid grounds for infractions from CD, and it is smart policy for CD to protect themselves from copyright complaints.
I have had a site or two shut down when the operator refused to remove my photos. If you don't know who owns a photo you like, why should CD take a hit from the photo owner?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just get the owners' permission to use them before posting them. If you cannot arrange that, assume that they are copyrighted, and do not use them.

Some photos are available for anyone to use, any way they might choose, with no restriction.

As far as "automatic" infractions for copyright violations, I have no clue, but I support that method of support for copyright.
I recently posted pics that a good friend had taken, and I asked her if I could use them on this site and she said yes ... she was honored. But the moderator changed them to links, saying I could only post full pics that I had personally taken myself. Perhaps I don't understand your bolded statement? Thanks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum