Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

I ran the anti-virus program this morning and came up clean. I'm running the spyware stuff now and I'm not getting anything.

Via Google, I found out the last time this happened, it was an exploit coming through Google's paid ads. Since one of the websites I'm getting this on doesn't have Google ads (only Amazon), I don't think it's the Google ads.

I noticed a post on Chowhound (another website I'm getting the bar on) reporting the same thing. This person reported it yesterday too.

I'm still looking... If I figure anything out, I'll let you know. (I hope no one who is getting the bar is allowing it to download anything. I suspect it goes to a keystroke logger.)

(Here's another discussion of the same problem within the last couple of days: http://metatalk.metafilter.com/15546...ollowing-addon )

Last edited by UB50; 01-01-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,742,967 times
Hmm, I see. Another program worth getting is Windows Defender.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, Spybot was clean. I also went to Microsoft.com and looked for any patches I may have missed. I found nothing. (I'm running Windows XP by the way.)

I'm still looking...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Well, to get the yellow bar, it appears that you have to have your computer set to not accept automatic downloads of ActiveX controls. (Probably a lot of people never changed the setting to this.)

Anyway -- after much trial and tribulation, I finally found a forum where someone had advice. If you click on the yellow bar, it asks you if you want to download or NOT download the add-on. You have to click "Do not download" (however it is worded) and the yellow box will go away.

However, it has reappeared as a bubble from the bottom toolbar specifying that the website wants to "Download an Add-on" but it doesn't do anything if I ignore it.

Also, I want to let everyone know that I have every Microsoft patch available for XP and I have all kinds of anti-virus and anti-malware software. My scans are all up to date. The yellow bar was appearing regardless of all that. I wasted a lot of time today running a ton of scans that turned up nothing. (Maybe I'll save someone else the time.)

Anyway, good luck. If you get the bar, click on it and then say NO!!

Last edited by UB50; 01-01-2008 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up Thanks for your efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Well, to get the yellow bar, it appears that you have to have your computer set to not accept automatic downloads of ActiveX controls. (Probably a lot of people never changed the setting to this.)

Anyway -- after much trial and tribulation, I finally found a forum where someone had advice. If you click on the yellow bar, it asks you if you want to download or NOT download the add-on. You have to click "Do not download" (however it is worded) and the yellow box will go away.

However, it has reappeared as a bubble from the bottom toolbar specifying that the website wants to "Download an Add-on" but it doesn't do anything if I ignore it.

Also, I want to let everyone know that I have every Microsoft patch available for XP and I have all kinds of anti-virus and anti-malware software. My scans are all up to date. The yellow bar was appearing regardless of all that. I wasted a lot of time today running a ton of scans that turned up nothing. (Maybe I'll save someone else the time.)

Anyway, good luck. If you get the bar, click on it and then say NO!!
Thanks for all your efforts and the time you put into this. Although I use Firefox and don't experience that problem, I learned a lot, and I am certain that you saved others some time and aggravation as well. All I get is a prompt from MS telling me my computer is at risk, etc, but that is because I no longer use IE thus do not want IE updates. I just click on X and it disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum