U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 PM
 
4,878 posts, read 2,681,308 times
Reputation: 10365

Advertisements

Lately I am unable to rep anyone. No matter who it is, I get a message that I have to spread reputation around before I can give it to that person again - and I get that message even if I have never (the best I remember) given them reps before. Is it just me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
 
2,243 posts, read 1,204,564 times
Reputation: 3677
There is only one way to find out.

Try me!

But in all seriousness, I have not experienced it. I gave someone a rep just this morning.

Could it be your browser? Maybe it's time to delete cookies and history?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,531 posts, read 46,899,486 times
Reputation: 31112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Lately I am unable to rep anyone. No matter who it is, I get a message that I have to spread reputation around before I can give it to that person again - and I get that message even if I have never (the best I remember) given them reps before. Is it just me?
It can get confusing. Read this thread in the FAQ forum: REPUTATION POINTS: General reputation discussed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 12:36 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 1,753,728 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Lately I am unable to rep anyone. No matter who it is, I get a message that I have to spread reputation around before I can give it to that person again - and I get that message even if I have never (the best I remember) given them reps before. Is it just me?
EXACTLY. Me too. I have been on here since 2008. I never used to have problems repping people for helpful advice until about a year or so ago. I now get this message about "spreading around" for people I once repped years ago, even though I have repped dozens of people since.

Yes, I read through the whole Admin Board Reputation Points thread. The problem is that it seems to be a new rule that I am not allowed to rep people that I once repped ever again over the lifetime of the forum no matter how many years later.

Nothing about this in the FAQ. Is it an unstated CD policy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 PM
 
8,955 posts, read 3,914,118 times
Not a new rule and it's not for life. Time just doesn't matter, you simply need to rep a number of people in between. 25 IIRC? If you rep infrequently, it may be a while, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
22,707 posts, read 11,241,301 times
Reputation: 14406
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Lately I am unable to rep anyone. No matter who it is, I get a message that I have to spread reputation around before I can give it to that person again - and I get that message even if I have never (the best I remember) given them reps before. Is it just me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
EXACTLY. Me too. I have been on here since 2008. I never used to have problems repping people for helpful advice until about a year or so ago. I now get this message about "spreading around" for people I once repped years ago, even though I have repped dozens of people since.

Yes, I read through the whole Admin Board Reputation Points thread. The problem is that it seems to be a new rule that I am not allowed to rep people that I once repped ever again over the lifetime of the forum no matter how many years later.

Nothing about this in the FAQ. Is it an unstated CD policy?
I don't have this problem, and I rep as often as I can. When I get the "spread it around" response, I just shrug and figure I'll get that poster again sometime in the future.

Participate in more forums, and give more reps.

It would be helpful if the forum had a feature for tracking the reps you give as well as the reps you receive, because it sure is easy to forget, but - just give more reps. I'd like to think that I give more than I receive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 04:11 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 1,753,728 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It would be helpful if the forum had a feature for tracking the reps you give as well as the reps you receive, because it sure is easy to forget, but - just give more reps. I'd like to think that I give more than I receive.
That's an excellent suggestion. Mods - How about it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 AM
 
2,243 posts, read 1,204,564 times
Reputation: 3677
[quote=jacqueg;50426452
It would be helpful if the forum had a feature for tracking the reps you give as well as the reps you receive, because it sure is easy to forget, but - just give more reps. I'd like to think that I give more than I receive.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
That's an excellent suggestion. Mods - How about it?


This seems like a neat idea. Is the forum software capable of this task?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top