U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM

12,654 posts, read 12,821,925 times

Advertisements

Admin, I come requesting a separate forum under fashion and beauty for the discussion of tattoos and piercings. It's really a shame that one cannot discuss such things without devolving into arguments. At least if there is a dedicated moderated board, anyone who posts opinions about such things will be off topic. Succinctly Put, if you don't care for tattoos and piercings don't participate in the forum. There are many of us who have tats and or piercings, are considering getting them, have questions about them. We should be able to discuss without the pages of schoolage drama. I'm bringing this up because I recently had a tattoo done and it would have been nice to ask about aftercare here since this is the social site I frequent. Because of certain individuals you can't even mention the word tattoo now. I'm sure there many first timers who want to separate fact from fiction regarding tats and piercings. What do y'all think?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 PM

42,634 posts, read 17,510,035 times
As moderator of Fashion & Beauty, I've observed countless threads which even make mention of tats and piercings devolve into arguments, personal attacks and bashing. It's a very unfortunate fact that many members apparently cannot discuss the topic rationally, maturely and without judgment. Don't think for a moment that people not interested in tats and piercings will avoid a dedicated sub-forum for such topics. It's a sad fact: they will persist even at the risk of being infracted or banned.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 PM

1,095 posts, read 761,977 times
Please!!

No tattoo or piercing forums.

I've been on other boards where every single discussion devolved in a heated fights. Everyone!!!

People that often , not always, harbor anti-social feeling/mind set that surfaces with their brand of body "art".

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM

PJ, thanks for your response. I hear you. It's a shame, because I would love to have a place where I can ask questions and discuss.

Retired - and why should there be heated fights? We're adults. People should be able to freely discuss such things without any sort of debate. Your following sentence is pretty much the reason why such topics devolve into arguments. It's totally unnecessary.

I am a 42 year old woman married mother of two who works at a law firm. I live in conservative suburbia. And I have a large tattoo on my bicep with my family's names and a rose. My Christmas gift to myself this year and a tribute to my family. I also have a pierced nose and cartilage. I don't appreciate you painting people who have tattoos and piercings as being anti-social. That is an outmoded stereotype that doesn't apply to everyone.

Your post clearly proves PJ Singer's point and that makes me sad. Thanks for the consideration anyway, mods.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Retired - and why should there be heated fights? We're adults. People should be able to freely discuss such things without any sort of debate. Your following sentence is pretty much the reason why such topics devolve into arguments. It's totally unnecessary.

I am a 42 year old woman married mother of two who works at a law firm. I live in conservative suburbia. And I have a large tattoo on my bicep with my family's names and a rose. My Christmas gift to myself this year and a tribute to my family. I also have a pierced nose and cartilage. I don't appreciate you painting people who have tattoos and piercings as being anti-social. That is an outmoded stereotype that doesn't apply to everyone.

Your post clearly proves PJ Singer's point and that makes me sad. Thanks for the consideration anyway, mods.
This why, I'm going to guess, those other boards post about tattoo's got heated every time.

People with tattoo's got personal and defensive at the mention of tattoos' etc. just as happened here. No simple discussions ensued "adults" or not. Sorry, that's my experience on tattoo's online.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
This why, I'm going to guess, those other boards post about tattoo's got heated every time.

People with tattoo's got personal and defensive at the mention of tattoos' etc. just as happened here. No simple discussions ensued "adults" or not. Sorry, that's my experience on tattoo's online.
Uh no. When you share unnecessary judgmental statements then what do you expect? That's why arguments ensue, because you can't stick with the topic at hand. You don't think the board is a good idea. Groovy (though the question wasn't posed to you). That's where it should have ended.

Again, PJ Singer was clearly on point.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh no. When you share unnecessary judgmental statements then what do you expect?
What I posted was not a statement. What I posted was my experience ,nothing more or less, which you just verified with your post to defend tattoos.

Personally, I don't care one bit if a person damages their body with various disfigurements just don't ask the public to pay the doctor bill if they get infected. Tattoos are not a topic that warrants discussion in a public forum since they are so personal for each person with them. People don't discuss their favorite sex positions and habits in public do they?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 PM

42,634 posts, read 17,510,035 times
Case in point. Thread closed. *sigh*
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.