U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 PM

780 posts, read 280,275 times

Advertisements

First off, I am commending the site's volunteer moderators for running a tight ship around here. While occasionally bad actors slip through the cracks, the mods seem pretty on top of reeling those folks in and keeping things smooth sailing.

However, I question the value in the Politics & Other Controversies forum to this site. It seems like a cesspool of abhorrent behavior. People jeering the other side, and condoning otherwise immoral and unsavory activities because it's win at all costs for their side. It just seems like a bad vibe there, and it seems most people who aren't participants of it agree. So I wonder what value does that sub bring to this forum as a whole? If it were to "go away" altogether, wouldn't those people/bots/trolls/shills find some other habitat elsewhere?

I say this with the utmost praise for the other sub-communities and how well maintained they tend to be. It just seems to me that P&OC is a bit of an eye sore for the community.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-05-2019, 05:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 10,057,248 times
Maybe think of it this way. If the folks who congregate at P&OC are OK with going at one another, and that keeps them out of most or all the other well-moderated groups, then let them be. Just ignore the P&OC group.

Just like some people ignore the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc etc.

FWIW, based on its rep, I have never accessed that group.

And based on the 21 Forums I do watch, C-D's reputation is doing just fine.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,330,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Maybe think of it this way. If the folks who congregate at P&OC are OK with going at one another, and that keeps them out of most or all the other well-moderated groups, then let them be. Just ignore the P&OC group.

Just like some people ignore the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc etc.

FWIW, based on its rep, I have never accessed that group.

And based on the 21 Forums I do watch, C-D's reputation is doing just fine.
Yes, This!

Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,474,788 times
Entering the dark universe that is the P&C forum it's perplexing that your comments can be deleted for trolling and yet just about every comment that's made is a variation of trolling. I guess moderating this forum is an exercise in futility.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 AM

37,002 posts, read 64,326,714 times
I love P&OC, and I never go there.
It keeps so much vitriol and idiocy off the forums where normalcy is rampant.

Diminishes?
The concept is comparable to asking if city sewer service rather than open sewers in the street ditches diminishes a town's reputation.
P&OC is one of the best things CD ever did, ranking right up there with eliminating negative reputation.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:03 AM

3,551 posts, read 2,168,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

Amen!!!

Just read an explanation for the "Pittsburgh Toilet" that it was created as a solution for when sewage backs up, to keep it from getting into the rest of your house. Such a practical solution. So the way I see it, POC Forum is the Pittsburgh Toilet for CD! It might stink at times but it serves a very useful purpose.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:33 PM

12,625 posts, read 10,287,894 times
1. It is a cesspool.
2. It lets you know who the people are behind the screen names. Always take note of the names. This helps you understand how they think when they are posting in other threads.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I love P&OC, and I never go there.
It keeps so much vitriol and idiocy off the forums where normalcy is rampant.

Diminishes?
The concept is comparable to asking if city sewer service rather than open sewers in the street ditches diminishes a town's reputation.
P&OC is one of the best things CD ever did, ranking right up there with eliminating negative reputation.
I understand what you're saying...I think. Create a place where these types of people/bots/shills/trolls can post, and they will go there instead of polluting the rest of the forum. "If you build it, they will come" in other words.

My criticism of it is that it seems like a pointless sub. The vast majority of posts/posters seem to be trolling or 'shouting over' everyone else. In terms of constructive discussion, it seems nearly non existent. It seems like the mods do a good enough job of keeping the riffraff at bay on other subs. I literally saw a thread shut down and deleted on the Relationships sub within a few hours because it was clear that OP (brand new account) was trolling and argumentative towards the advice that was being provided. It seems like the mods could do as much squelching of such trouble makers that leak into other subs, but maybe it's more of an issue of not wanting to do with the additional problems that may sprout up without the proverbial 'cesspool' that has been made available to them. It's like that show The Wire when Baltimore PD created a drug trade zone to help alleviate drug-related offenses around the city.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 04-07-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 04:12 AM

37,002 posts, read 64,326,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I understand what you're saying...I think. Create a place where these types of people/bots/shills/trolls can post, and they will go there instead of polluting the rest of the forum. "If you build it, they will come" in other words.

My criticism of it is that it seems like a pointless sub. ....

Absorbing huge amounts of trolling and vitriol in diverting such greatly from other forums is specifically the point and the raison d'être of P&OC.
The goofiness and pointlessness of most of the "discussion" is clear evidence that it serves its purpose. No sane person would recommend that one go to P&OC to learn or to intelligently discuss.

You are fairly new to CD, so weren't here when P&OC was created. It was quickly obvious that it was nearly a stroke of genius.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Absorbing huge amounts of trolling and vitriol in diverting such greatly from other forums is specifically the point and the raison d'être of P&OC.
The goofiness and pointlessness of most of the "discussion" is clear evidence that it serves its purpose. No sane person would recommend that one go to P&OC to learn or to intelligently discuss.

You are fairly new to CD, so weren't here when P&OC was created. It was quickly obvious that it was nearly a stroke of genius.
Good to know! I've been on and off this forum (but mostly the actual C-D site) for some time as a lurker, starting back around 2006. I had an old posting account that I lost the login/email info to long ago. But it's true that I don't recall what the culture was like before the P&OC sub was created. I'll accept that it serves a useful purpose then.

P.s. I just took a look back at some of my old contributions to my hometown's page. What a trip down memory lane. I was in college at the time when I found this site, and really into geography and data/stats.

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv17450.php
//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv17449.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.