Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 12:42 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Seriously. Great Debates on a what is essentially a message board internet forum. Does anyone expect that members are going to write some long winded academic dissertation on the meaning of life or any other profound topic with multiple paragraph content. And of course some of the parameters of what is acceptable is so vague that unintentional violations of the TOS are common.
No one is expected to "write some long winded academic dissertation" and, truthfully, there really haven't been any that I've seen. Just read and follow the rules, please, as posted at the top of the forum. Many people are doing exactly that, with the understanding that Great Debates was never intended to be an extension of the P&OC forum. The City-Data Administrator (who wrote the rules) stated that the Great Debates forum is an "experiment."

If you have any questions about or difficulty with these forum-specific rules, feel free to direct message a moderator for the GD forum. Thank you.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:01 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your response.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your response.
You're welcome. Hope to see you in Great Debates!

Old 06-23-2020, 04:51 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Different forums have different dynamics. I think that the moderators for P&OC are doing the best that can be done for that forum, while still allowing people there to express their opinions. Strong opinions lead to angry words that result in less than respectful language in postings. Nevertheless, there are forum members who actually seem to enjoy that kind of contentiousness.

Great Debates, on the hand, isn't just about opinion. People can express opinions in GD, of course, but they also have to put in extra work to back up their assertions with facts. For those people who can't trouble themselves by putting in extra work to present cogent, unemotional arguments in Great Debates, I'm personally grateful that they at least have the alternative forum of P&OC.
Thank you for the response and for providing the clarity concerning the difference between the two forums. I really do appreciate it.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-23-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thank you for the response and for providing the clarity concerning the difference between the two forums. I really do appreciate it.
You're very welcome! I appreciate your feedback!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I was called a Moron by a member the other day, reported this and don't know what has happened...Rude rude people that's for sure.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was called a Moron by a member the other day, reported this and don't know what has happened...Rude rude people that's for sure.
You probably won't know what happened because moderators generally do not discuss moderator actions with forum members. Rest assured, a moderator has no doubt assessed the situation and decided how to deal with it.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
I’m sick of everything being politicized. I’m mostly liberal, but I don’t like to show it and prefer to keep my views secretive. But when a thread gets political in a non political forum, it is very annoying, especially if it’s linked to one of your non political hobbies. How can we prevent this from happening?

Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I’m sick of everything being politicized. I’m mostly liberal, but I don’t like to show it and prefer to keep my views secretive. But when a thread gets political in a non political forum, it is very annoying, especially if it’s linked to one of your non political hobbies. How can we prevent this from happening?
Any ideas how?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:33 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Any ideas how?
I believe most non-political forums have an injunction against political drift. More rigid enforcement of that limit, however tiresome for all, might be a start.

In forums where politics is an inextricable part of the scope (Economics, for example), how about a simple but inflexible rule against unsubstantiated opinionating? If you have to express a political aspect, it requires a valid link or cite — NOT to blogs or fringe websites — or it will be deleted. Again, tiresome, but if someone wants to say the _______ administration ______ed ______ing for everyone, they can arse themselves to find a supporting citation from a valid authority instead of reducing it to an antagonizing smear about liberals or progressives or whatever.

It may not be possible, but I'd love to see a new subset of forums that are moderated with an iron fist. Leave the existing ones as is, for those who don't mind a cadre of yammerheads riding their hobbyhorse through every thread; create a parallel for those who actually want discussion to progress and lead somewhere without being smothered by ignorant bias or the meme of the week.

I finally had to uncheck a whole lotta forums because I couldn't take one more thread that had interesting developments overrun by boilerplate reading of agendas... agendas read out in full every time the member hit a keyword trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum