Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 07:36 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times

Advertisements

We need members to actually report posts that go off into politics, or become aggressive or off topic. I have seen posters write "off topic, please stay on topic", as a reminder, but if the offending poster continues others need to report it to the mods, with or without warning to the offending poster.

It appears that many do not know that there is a "report" icon in the upper right corner, or what the other icon means either. Maybe a sticky needs to be put at the top of every subject? Or, if someone is getting slammed, another poster could take it upon themselves to inform the poster what to do, whether public or by DM.

Bottom line, IMO, is that the posters need to become more vigilant in keeping our boards on topic and not be afraid of offending anyone or being a PITA to the Mods.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I believe most non-political forums have an injunction against political drift. More rigid enforcement of that limit, however tiresome for all, might be a start.
The rule is already in place. It's up to members to abide by it and report, as Lodestar suggests.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:36 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
What percentage of the posters demanding a "respectful" forum where posts may not deviate at all from the original subject would you say are female? How many females in this thread? Just a suggestion, but you may want to try out a subforum that is expressly for women. Women only. I think you'd be surprised at how many men would abide by those rules. Frankly, most most men would not be interested in the first place. You would be free from someone calling you a name and you could even more stringently enforce no deviation whatsoever from the original subject in the initial post in the thread. I'm being completely serious. Create a females-only subforum and you will be shocked how quickly you get the forum that women want, but do not get, here and on many other forums.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:10 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
What percentage of the posters demanding a "respectful" forum where posts may not deviate at all from the original subject would you say are female? How many females in this thread? Just a suggestion, but you may want to try out a subforum that is expressly for women. Women only. I think you'd be surprised at how many men would abide by those rules. Frankly, most most men would not be interested in the first place. You would be free from someone calling you a name and you could even more stringently enforce no deviation whatsoever from the original subject in the initial post in the thread. I'm being completely serious. Create a females-only subforum and you will be shocked how quickly you get the forum that women want, but do not get, here and on many other forums.
Um... Nope.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 AM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Um... Nope.
Well-reasoned response.

I take it you recognize that my generalization is accurate. Just look at this very thread. You don't even need to have a feminine username most of the time to tell if that poster is male or female.

I've been surfing the Interwebs since 1995. Very, very few women participate in online forums. They don't generally participate because very women enjoy debating things and they don't enjoy the insults that are common. In contrast, men tend to enjoy the former and tolerate the latter because that is how men often interact with each other in "real life." It's not a big deal to most of them. The online forums that work for women are ones like the mommy forums, which are basically 100% female.

There's nothing wrong with having forums that are women-only. You could open it up to any topics and, like I wrote before, you could enforce even more stringent controls on deviation from original topics and closely police language.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Well-reasoned response.

I take it you recognize that my generalization is accurate. Just look at this very thread. You don't even need to have a feminine username most of the time to tell if that poster is male or female.

I've been surfing the Interwebs since 1995. Very, very few women participate in online forums. They don't generally participate because very women enjoy debating things and they don't enjoy the insults that are common. In contrast, men tend to enjoy the former and tolerate the latter because that is how men often interact with each other in "real life." It's not a big deal to most of them. The online forums that work for women are ones like the mommy forums, which are basically 100% female.

There's nothing wrong with having forums that are women-only. You could open it up to any topics and, like I wrote before, you could enforce even more stringent controls on deviation from original topics and closely police language.
Having reviewed your history on this forum, and having seen that you have been (rightfully) reprimanded by moderators of both genders, I think perhaps your issue isn't so much with women in general, but with following forum rules. There is a solution for that. You could always go off and start your own forum.

I seriously doubt that TPTB here are going to consider forum segregation by gender. An inability to handle respectful discourse on a public forum isn't just a "man" thing, btw. There are plenty of women who can be equally obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum