Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 03:46 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,487,981 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I'm trying to post three images into the "Show Me Some Birds" thread within the Photography forum.

Following what others have done, I typed:

[ur!=<share link from Flickr>][/ur!]. (Note: "url" intentionally misspelled to prevent parsing.)

However, the pictures don't appear. The only difference I can see is that in the example I followed, the poster was using an Imgur link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 06:13 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,297,552 times
Have your tried using the inset image icon in the toolbar and pasting in the link?

Old 07-14-2021, 09:50 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,487,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have your tried using the inset image icon in the toolbar and pasting in the link?
First thing I tried, didn't work. I just tried it again to make sure.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 4,349,273 times
Are they your pictures?

If not please do not post them. You are welcome to post a link to them but, not the image itself if it is not yours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:19 PM

61,086 posts, read 85,880,338 times
There is an option on Flickr to get BBCode. Just copy it and paste here. Remember to scale. Don't post the biggest format.

Yes, post only pictures taken by you.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:36 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Since a couple of years ago, after C-D did some sort of update, I've been unable to imbed photos in my posts without having to first upload them to an album and then copy and paste the URLs in the posts. It's a pain in the derriere! Before that, I never had a problem putting photos in my posts. Now it takes a lot longer, but at least I can do it in a roundabout way.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:58 AM

Are you posting them from your HD or hosting website?

Old 07-17-2021, 07:58 PM

797 posts, read 436,664 times
I am confused and hope a mod will help me understand.

Some time ago I had my entire long post killed because I used photos (memes) and quoted a "public domain" speech - not in full but in parts.

So I thought, okay, good to know: I can't use photos. And I believe I was also told I cannot link to youtube videos either.

Yet ever since then, time and time again I see youtube videos and photos (the public domain speech thing I have not seen, but I can't see why that would not be allowed; i.e. a speech the President gave, not something a magazine or newspaper wrote!).

So please can you point me to the rules regarding posting photos and youtube links? I did read one post that seemed to say you can ONLY post your OWN photos. Yet I see photos here that are not their own. ... But if I create my OWN meme, that I can use and post???

And youtube videos that are not their own... like the one of the woman talking about what happened on a flight where a woman was duct-taped for trying to get off the plane. Or it may have been a tik-tok video...

So I am obviously really confused as to when videos and photos are allowed and when they are not. It certainly LOOKS like many ARE allowed that are not owned by the poster.

So if a photo is not mine (for example a meme that is posted and SHARED all over FB or Twitter), can I post it at IMGUR or another photo hosting site and LINK to it, or not? And if not, why do I see them here all over the place then?

And when can I use or not use a youtube clip? If not then why do I continue to see them in threads?

Thanks for clarifying. I really would like to post links to youtube videos that are not mine and memes that are not mine as other people do.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-18-2021 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-18-2021, 02:07 AM

I think that posting memes is not the way how adults should communicate. We are not trying to be FB or Twitter.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:53 PM

43,016 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that posting memes is not the way how adults should communicate. We are not trying to be FB or Twitter.

Thank YOU!
Why don't people just learn to use "language" to present their "thoughts?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum