Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times

Advertisements

I was asked by the California moderator to move my request here. My request is to have Ventura County listed along with the other large counties in Southern California as many people do not know that it borders Los Angeles and offers, in my opinion, a better quality of life than several areas in and around So. Ca. but is unknown by the masses. Orange County was another request that joined my post for their own spot. How does one go about adding a county to California other than this discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 01:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
I believe the Los Angeles sub-forum was originally meant to cover:

Los Angeles County
Riverside County
San Bernardino County
Orange County
Ventura County

Maybe the powers could just rename it "Greater Los Angeles Area".

Old 01-27-2007, 06:24 PM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I believe the Los Angeles sub-forum was originally meant to cover:

Los Angeles County
Riverside County
San Bernardino County
Orange County
Ventura County

Maybe the powers could just rename it "Greater Los Angeles Area".
I don't agree with Ventura being included in with "Greater Los Angeles Area". Ventura is over 80 miles North West of LA and isn't even considered part of LA at all. All of those other counties are right in the midst of LA.

Ventura is totally different and separate of LA an most ppl in Ventura County would agree with me.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM

The Greater Los Angeles Area, or the Southland, is the agglomeration of urbanized area around the city of Los Angeles, California. There are two "official" definitions — the Los Angeles metropolitan area consisting only of Los Angeles and Orange County, and the Combined Statistical Area (a group of interacting metropolitan areas) sprawled over five counties in the southern part of California, namely Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County. A common unofficial definition includes the region ranging from Ventura County to the southwestern area of San Bernardino County. It is not always meaningful to refer to Los Angeles as a distinct city, and people outside of Southern California commonly refer to the entire region as L.A. even though it includes five counties, more than 100 distinct municipalities, and more people than any individual state except for Texas, New York, Florida, and California itself.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The Greater Los Angeles Area, or the Southland, is the agglomeration of urbanized area around the city of Los Angeles, California. There are two "official" definitions — the Los Angeles metropolitan area consisting only of Los Angeles and Orange County, and the Combined Statistical Area (a group of interacting metropolitan areas) sprawled over five counties in the southern part of California, namely Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County. A common unofficial definition includes the region ranging from Ventura County to the southwestern area of San Bernardino County. It is not always meaningful to refer to Los Angeles as a distinct city, and people outside of Southern California commonly refer to the entire region as L.A. even though it includes five counties, more than 100 distinct municipalities, and more people than any individual state except for Texas, New York, Florida, and California itself.
Well, that was exhausting! Guess you don't live in Ventura County because if you did you would know that "we" do not say we are in the "Greater Los Angeles Area" but Ventura County which borders Los Angeles. We have a different school system than Los Angeles which is why so many people move here which is why I think it would be helpful to out of state families to know about this county since so many have been scared off by the Los Angeles forum. Did you get this out of a book or make this up all by yourself?

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Did you get this out of a book or make this up all by yourself?
U.S. Department of Commerce.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
U.S. Department of Commerce.
Either the U.S. Department of Commerce is wrong or Citi-Data's figures are. Either way, in this case, size doesn't matter. Families from out of state who are told to look into Orange County and don't see it here may not know to look at Long Beach and most posts addressed to Los Angeles are referring to the city itself or close proximity which is not Ventura County which offers a different quality of life from most of L.A.
From your post it doesn't look like you live in California...why are you interested in this post?

Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
From your post it doesn't look like you live in California...why are you interested in this post?
Family in Westlake Village.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Which is where I live and have for 16 years.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Default VC is not LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I don't agree with Ventura being included in with "Greater Los Angeles Area". Ventura is over 80 miles North West of LA and isn't even considered part of LA at all. All of those other counties are right in the midst of LA.

Ventura is totally different and separate of LA an most ppl in Ventura County would agree with me.
I second this. Ventura County, though bordering LA, is not an "extension" of LA in the same way as the Inland Empire or Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum