U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,817,603 times

Advertisements

I've seen this term used from time to time on here, and I'm wondering what it means and when it is used.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM

573 posts, read 1,595,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I've seen this term used from time to time on here, and I'm wondering what it means and when it is used.

Thanks.

In internet terms, it means when someone comes on a forum and spams/harrassess/becomes a pain to others. Usually they will set up an account, and get on certain forums, then basically start stirring the pot to get everyone up in arms. Usually they end up going away after starting some controversy.

In relationship terms, trolling is going to the bar and hitting on everyone you can, trying to get some tail. Or, as urban dictionary likes to say, it's when you mad text everyone in your cellphone hoping someone will take the booty call bait.

I hope this has cleared it up for you!

-Cindy

Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,817,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
In internet terms, it means when someone comes on a forum and spams/harrassess/becomes a pain to others. Usually they will set up an account, and get on certain forums, then basically start stirring the pot to get everyone up in arms. Usually they end up going away after starting some controversy.

In relationship terms, trolling is going to the bar and hitting on everyone you can, trying to get some tail. Or, as urban dictionary likes to say, it's when you mad text everyone in your cellphone hoping someone will take the booty call bait.

I hope this has cleared it up for you!

-Cindy
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,772,145 times
I like to define it as "posting to annoy, rather than inform."

Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 AM

151 posts, read 256,747 times
It also works the other way: someone disagrees about something and calls them a Troll.

The person accused of Trolling will then probably become a Troll for all time.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,772,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBoy View Post
It also works the other way: someone disagrees about something and calls them a Troll.
That's considered a personal attack and should be avoided. If you see it happening, use the Report Post button and tell that forum's mod team.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 PM

29,909 posts, read 9,353,831 times
Trolling is someone who posts spam, forbidden links, disrespects other people, starts threads just for the sake of having a big flame war, posts off-topic posts, usually personally attacks other people.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM

15,972 posts, read 8,603,588 times
Since this is predominately a "moving and relocation" forum what about posters that have a single agenda gives an unprovoked "don't move here", "go back where you came from" attitude towards O.P.s and such looking for information and insight on a new place to live.

An O.P. could simply ask what if there is a certain type of store in the area and the usual response is "If you like those types of places, you can just stay where you're at."

Against TOS?? It's annoying to people trying to provide info and mean towards the person seeking it.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

23,812 posts, read 44,098,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Since this is predominately a "moving and relocation" forum what about posters that have a single agenda gives an unprovoked "don't move here", "go back where you came from" attitude towards O.P.s and such looking for information and insight on a new place to live.

An O.P. could simply ask what if there is a certain type of store in the area and the usual response is "If you like those types of places, you can just stay where you're at."

Against TOS?? It's annoying to people trying to provide info and mean towards the person seeking it.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Such people are trolls, of a sort. IMO, such posts should be deleted by the mods on the basis of being non-helpful, or hostile. But right now that sort of thing is not a TOS violation; maybe it should be.

For the OP, et al: Trolling is also a term used to describe a realtor who "trolls" for clients by telling posters to check their website or "call me for details" etc. That is a TOS violation and when I was a mod I banned realtors who did it repeatedly and told me to buzz off.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,921,860 times
A troll is whoever is derternined as one by a mod on any forum not just CD. Seen it with my own eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.