Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,282 times

Advertisements

I got's a question for Administrator or anyone else in that group of people who run city-data that I would appreciate input on.

I have started a blog here which has been very fulfilling so far. Given that I might want to write a book someday, containing some of my blog entries, I am wondering about who owns the copyright on my entries and/or the comments to my entries that I or others might make?

Do I retain all ownership and rights in what I write anywhere on my blog and can I likewise use anyone's comments to my blog in a future book?

What can city-data do with my blog entries?

Any input on the above questions would be appreciated. I did several searches at city-data to try and find threads where this was discussed and came up empty.

Thanks.

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM

Does anyone have an answer for me?

I need to know in order to continue with my blog here.

Carlos

Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
I asked Administrator about some details. I hope he'll get back to me soon.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,742,967 times
You own the copyrights to all your posts. So, you can republish them in a book or wherever else you'd like. By publishing your blog here, you give us rights to republish your posts, but we don't own the copyrights.

Same principles apply to blog comments.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:03 AM

That's very reasonable. Thanks!

Carlos

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
US Copyright law is thorny. You cannot copyright primary source. Primary source is church records, land records, deeds, Wills, birth, death, marriage records, letters, newspaper articles, and family records in a bible..

What you can copyright is how you present your contents regardless of how it is published. If I copy an article you wrote, word for word and published it wouthout your express written permission, I broke the law. And there is a really fine line about citing work that is over a hundred years old, that has been replublished and copyrighted. And you have to be doubly careful when citing foreign authors, for US copyright law applies to that material as if it were published in the US. I'm having great fun with a Dutch thesis that was unpublished and the copyright expired in 1994 in the Kingdom of Netherland and republished twice in US genealogy threads. Be careful. Those toes you step on can be expensive.

If you are going to publish serious stuff you need a publisher who understands copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum