Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,647,927 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious about the guidelines Moderators have to follow. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but my Search led me to no results. I've always been thankful for the Moderators and the volunteer work that they do. They make this forum a more cordial place to visit. However, there is one Moderator that I've noticed more than once that has been rude, almost attacking and it seems angry with some of his posts. It has nothing to do with deleting posts or telling people they are off-topic. It is simply his or her replies to other posters. Are Moderators not supposed to keep their posts as polite as they expect the regular members to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Well, I guess it's just like any other position, each person holding that postion has a distinct personality. Obviously, behind the mask of each moderator is a human and as such will have a different way of expressing themselves.

I'm sure you've had, let's say, teachers who've been terse and to the point, perhaps even rude but were good teachers. Or law enforcement officers might be even a better example. I've come in contact with some awfully rude and just not nice police officers. That's their personality and are probably good cops nevertheless.

I think the same will hold true for moderators here. Some might not have the mannerisms that make you fond of them but they may accomplish the job at hand better than the moderator who is nice, friendly, and polite.

As for guidlines, yes, moderators strive to follow the guidelines set forth by the administration of this site. In the guidelines it does state that others will hold them to higher standards and expect them to follow the rules explicitly. But again, since all moderators are human beings at this point, you'll have that difference in personality from one to the other. But yes, you're right, moderators should be held to a higher standard.

You have the ability to discuss the behavior of a specific moderator with a senior moderator at any time if you really feel that they are crossing the line in the way they are addressing other members.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 PM

Thank you for answering my question. I think your comparison to school teachers is a good one. If I keep seeing this, I will probably do as you suggested.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:05 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Lately, my posts are deleted before I could even hit the "post quick topic" button. There are people on the Miami forum who trash the city and who also trash latins. Their every post is a negative one and they stereotype and generalize continuously. It gets very old. The funny thing is that one of the posts of mine that were deleted say " a little racial". Those who know me or have read my posts will know that I'm the first one to say that every race has it's garbage. Maybe the moderator didn't read any of my other posts and didn't know that I was being sarcastic against a true racist on the Miami forum who gets away with daily spreading of his hate.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Yeah, I personally understand what you're saying, Miami Vice. However, I ask that you hang in there because there's been some changing of moderator assignments in the Florida forums. As you know, the Florida forums are extremely busy and for moderators, present quite a challenge. You might have to give some of them time to get to know your style and history. I know it might be frustrating for some of you but all I can say is hang in there and hopefully things will settle out.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Thanks. I was hoping that this post wasn't already deleted. LOL!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Some moderators have posted some things that I think are a bit questionable, as they are moderators, but also, people, and also, with opinions. Their posts don't seem to cross the line, but give their opinion, just like anyone elses post. I appreciate what they do for the board... I also like seeing them be 'normal people' with their own personalities. How fun would it be if they were a bunch of robots? Just my opinion...

Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 PM

This one must have crossed the line as I suspected, since his/her posts were deleted this morning by another moderator. So were the posts around it that caused his/or her ire because they were off-topic.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Well, I guess it's just like any other position, each person holding that postion has a distinct personality. Obviously, behind the mask of each moderator is a human and as such will have a different way of expressing themselves.

I'm sure you've had, let's say, teachers who've been terse and to the point, perhaps even rude but were good teachers. Or law enforcement officers might be even a better example. I've come in contact with some awfully rude and just not nice police officers. That's their personality and are probably good cops nevertheless.

I think the same will hold true for moderators here. Some might not have the mannerisms that make you fond of them but they may accomplish the job at hand better than the moderator who is nice, friendly, and polite.

As for guidlines, yes, moderators strive to follow the guidelines set forth by the administration of this site. In the guidelines it does state that others will hold them to higher standards and expect them to follow the rules explicitly. But again, since all moderators are human beings at this point, you'll have that difference in personality from one to the other. But yes, you're right, moderators should be held to a higher standard.

You have the ability to discuss the behavior of a specific moderator with a senior moderator at any time if you really feel that they are crossing the line in the way they are addressing other members.
and what do you do when it was a senior moderator who was rude, curt and arbitrary in their assesment of a message being improper?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I believe this was covered: PM the Administrator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
and what do you do when it was a senior moderator who was rude, curt and arbitrary in their assesment of a message being improper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum