Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times

Advertisements

If the photos aren't yours, you shouldn't use them without permission,,,or suffer the consequences of a possible $12 million judgment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
People are kind to share their work on the internet. Why would anyone even think its up for grabs?

When I look over the PHOTOGRAPHY forums here, it brings smiles because these pictures are so beautiful and yet the owner wanted to share the beauty they've captured.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
If the photos aren't yours, you shouldn't use them without permission,,,or suffer the consequences of a possible $12 million judgment!

Those photos were registered with the copyright office... That makes a big difference as to if you will get any money or not........ And I think it cost $35 to register each photo...

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Those photos were registered with the copyright office... That makes a big difference as to if you will get any money or not........ And I think it cost $35 to register each photo...
Registration will allow for statutory damages. You also need to register to sue and can do so after the infringement took place if necessary. Registration provides no more or less protection under the law and does not prove ownership.

Quote:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf

In general, copyright registration is a legal formality intended
to make a public record of the basic facts of a particular copyright.
However, registration is not a condition of copyright
protection. Even though registration is not a requirement for
protection, the copyright law provides several inducements
or advantages to encourage copyright owners to make registration.
Among these advantages are the following:
• Registration establishes a public record of the copyright
claim.
• Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration
is necessary for works of U. S. origin.
• If made before or within five years of publication, registration
will establish prima facie evidence in court of
the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in
the certificate.
• If registration is made within three months after publication
of the work or prior to an infringement of the work,
statutory damages and attorney’s fees will be available to
the copyright owner in court actions. Otherwise, only an
award of actual damages and profits is available to the
copyright owner.
• Registration allows the owner of the copyright to record
the registration with the U. S. Customs Service for protection
against the importation of infringing copies. For
additional information, go to the U. S. Customs and
Border Protection website at www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import - broken link).
Click on “Intellectual Property Rights.”

Old 03-31-2014, 01:52 PM

79 posts, read 302,383 times
I'm actually trying to get my photos removed from the city-data homepage. I've posted several photos in several city pages. Could someone please help?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
I'm actually trying to get my photos removed from the city-data homepage. I've posted several photos in several city pages. Could someone please help?
Several people have answered you, multiple times. You have to contact the Senior Moderators, or Admin. Nobody on here can help you.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
Did you go back to your original post? There was an answer for you. //www.city-data.com/forum/34123224-post7.html

Contact the Administrator, or Senior Moderators Yac or Marka. There is no one else that can help you in those pages.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM

79 posts, read 302,383 times
Thanks for the link, sorry for the multiple posts

Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
People are kind to share their work on the internet. Why would anyone even think its up for grabs?

When I look over the PHOTOGRAPHY forums here, it brings smiles because these pictures are so beautiful and yet the owner wanted to share the beauty they've captured.
I enjoy the pictures on CD more than I could ever say. I have asked a few people if I could post a copy of their pictures on my computer for a slide show, for my viewing only. I work at a computer all day and it is so relaxing to have some of those beautiful pictures come by as a slide show/screen saver. I mostly use nature scenes that are soothing....it has become a real stress reliever. I can understand someone not wanting their work used without permission.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
The photos would have to be deleted at the source (the photo hosting site). If that is done, they will disappear on all web sites that link to them. They do not exist on this forum or any other forum, they are simply linked to the photo hosting site. It is also not necessary to register a copyright on images, the images automatically are the sole ownership of the creator, and are copyrighted as soon as they are fixed in a tangible medium. All of which will not prevent someone from grabbing your online photos even if you disable right click. The only way to prevent that is to not post them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum