U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
 
9,743 posts, read 28,589,406 times
Reputation: 10238

Advertisements

I post a lot of photos on city data. From time to time people who find them here email or DM me requesting permission to use a photo I took on their website. Recently I have come across several website that are using photos I posted here but never contacted me. In some cases they do provide credit for the photo, but only list the credit as "Photo from City-data.com".

I'm not a professional photographer, and I clearly don't know much about copyrights, but I'm workind who owns the photos that I post here. Do I give up my right to control the use of "my photos" once I post them here. Do they become the property of City-data?

Again, I'm not all worked up over this. I'm just curious.

Thanks for you thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,102 posts, read 35,564,241 times
Reputation: 14372
I found this quote from Administrator about blog posts. Most likely, the site takes the same approach to photos posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
You own the copyrights to all your posts. So, you can republish them in a book or wherever else you'd like. By publishing your blog here, you give us rights to republish your posts, but we don't own the copyrights.

Same principles apply to blog comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM
 
11,149 posts, read 14,979,731 times
Reputation: 18820
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I post a lot of photos on city data. From time to time people who find them here email or DM me requesting permission to use a photo I took on their website. Recently I have come across several website that are using photos I posted here but never contacted me. In some cases they do provide credit for the photo, but only list the credit as "Photo from City-data.com".

I'm not a professional photographer, and I clearly don't know much about copyrights, but I'm workind who owns the photos that I post here. Do I give up my right to control the use of "my photos" once I post them here. Do they become the property of City-data?

Again, I'm not all worked up over this. I'm just curious.

Thanks for you thoughts!
You might want to consider putting a copyright on your photos, so the world will know who took them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,167 posts, read 2,493,923 times
North_Raleigh_Guy, we did not give anybody rights to republish your photos, so you are certainly within your rights to make them take them down if you'd like to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
39,032 posts, read 67,607,599 times
Reputation: 39920
NRG,

If they hesitate to take them down, or give you any guff, just contact their host or webmaster and you will get results, I think.

Don't let it happen without your permission. I have had to ask several real estate professionals to take my photos down.
They typically comply fairly quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: LA
212,212 posts, read 82,807,237 times
Reputation: 134563
You can easily add the copyright symbol using alt+0169 ©Initials or name and year. Small down in a corner. If you then find a photo with it being use and the copyright removed or without permission you are in a better position as to what you want for the out come. On a MAC computer it is different but that I don't remember.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Tricity
48,227 posts, read 69,193,583 times
Reputation: 110251
10 Big Myths about copyright explained

Tn the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not.

If the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action.

While copyright law makes it technically illegal to reproduce almost any new creative work (other than under fair use) without permission, if the work is unregistered and has no real commercial value, it gets very little protection.

In general, respecting the rights of creators to control their creations is a principle many advocate adhering to.

Copyright law was recently amended by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act which changed net copyright in many ways. In particular, it put all sorts of legal strength behind copy-protection systems, making programs illegal and reducing the reality of fair use rights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 AM
 
9,743 posts, read 28,589,406 times
Reputation: 10238
Thanks for the responses everyone this is very helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,114 posts, read 7,878,156 times
Reputation: 3708
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action.

While copyright law makes it technically illegal to reproduce almost any new creative work (other than under fair use) without permission, if the work is unregistered and has no real commercial value, it gets very little protection.
In the United States the above is not quite accurate. It is always illegal to violate the artist's copyright, and it's up to the creator whether they want to pursue legal action or not.

That said, there may be very little in the way of monetary damages awarded, if the copyright is not registered. But that doesn't mean it's not illegal - it just means the damages are small.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 14,272,933 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
In the United States the above is not quite accurate. It is always illegal to violate the artist's copyright, and it's up to the creator whether they want to pursue legal action or not.

That said, there may be very little in the way of monetary damages awarded, if the copyright is not registered. But that doesn't mean it's not illegal - it just means the damages are small.
^ Pretty much that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top