U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,872,397 times

Advertisements

People should have 50 posts or maybe rep before they can link in forum.

someone with 1 post comes on here into the movie forums and says "yes i love this movie, please download it from "link". They are thread killers, spamming the forum with their crap. As soon as you ban them, they create a new name and do the same thing. This could be solved easily by setting a post limit or rep limit before you can start posting links into the fourm.

Just my 2 cents
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,970,965 times
That same person that Skel refers to has repeatedly posted for quite some time now. I have reported the posts before, but the posts have remained, and I finally gave up.
For that kind of stuff, I would think maybe the ISP could/should be banned, but I am not an authority on that sort of thing.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,824,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
People should have 50 posts or maybe rep before they can link in forum.

someone with 1 post comes on here into the movie forums and says "yes i love this movie, please download it from "link". They are thread killers, spamming the forum with their crap. As soon as you ban them, they create a new name and do the same thing. This could be solved easily by setting a post limit or rep limit before you can start posting links into the fourm.

Just my 2 cents
There is a limit like that. Very new posters' links don't show up as links, which takes away most of the benefit they would get from posting links here. Although the style of posting may be similar, chances are it's a completely different person doing the posting. There are link-spam operations in other countries where people get paid to do what you describe. They follow a formula and include their links with an inoffensive sentence or two to minimize the chance their "work" will be detected and reported.

Please do report, or continue to report these when you see them and the mod team will continue to delete them.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM

223,821 posts, read 83,769,269 times
The Post requirement is not high enough. I agree with the OP. 50 minimum or even a 100 to post links in any forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM

26,530 posts, read 47,417,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The Post requirement is not high enough. I agree with the OP. 50 minimum or even a 100 to post links in any forum.
With that limit, I would never have bothered to remain at C-D.

I think there are more pressing problems.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,089,821 times
That would not work in the state/city rooms because by the time someone was around to get 50 or 100 posts, the link that they may have offered to another might be of little relevance. I am not speaking to spam, which should be reported to be effectively removed, but answers to questions from other posters, such as where to find particular city information on municipal websites, etc. -- useful information that can be of benefit to the OP and others.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

223,821 posts, read 83,769,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
With that limit, I would never have bothered to remain at C-D.

I think there are more pressing problems.
I understand this point but have seen spam last for days because of other pressing problems most likely. And I know it had been reported because I reported it.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM

26,530 posts, read 47,417,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I understand this point but have seen spam last for days because of other pressing problems most likely. And I know it had been reported because I reported it.
I really don't know why, some moderators have taken time off, there has been shortages etc. But I really the exact circumstances, if any.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 AM

43,856 posts, read 47,746,693 times
We get spammers all the time in the freebie forum. I just report the link and it usually disappears right away.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,461,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
We get spammers all the time in the freebie forum. I just report the link and it usually disappears right away.
But we have a Beretta in the Freebie Forum. I always wondered if our Beretta had a white cockatoo named Fred ...

(Yes, I know the TV show was Baretta )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum