Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM

322 posts, read 319,169 times

Advertisements

I think everyone should closely examine the situation when an adoption agency or adoption attorney tells you the birth family has decided to parent. There are a great deal of scams going on out there.

Louisiana Family Left Devastated by Failed Adoption - Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,055,038 times
"Adopting from the state and private agencies were not suitable choices for the David's..."

Why?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
"Adopting from the state and private agencies were not suitable choices for the David's..."

Why?
I really don't know, my guess is it relates to their service in the Guard. Army Reservist/National Guardsmen have a great deal of difficulties due to their overseas service.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:52 PM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xy340 View Post
I really don't know, my guess is it relates to their service in the Guard. Army Reservist/National Guardsmen have a great deal of difficulties due to their overseas service.
No, that wouldn't make a difference. Either way, if both are in the Guard, they would need someone to be a guardian in case they were deployed. I know many even active duty members that have adopted children. When we were adopting, military families were given a priority because they moved around so often that they were "time limited", of course, this was for families adopting children through the state.

The family should have learned more about adoption and the scams before starting the process. Plenty of info online as well as books on the subject.

Adoption attorney seemed to be the issue and the ignorance of the couple when it came to adopting a child.

To me, not being able to adopt through state or private agencies is always a red flag and attorneys and individuals also know this making them vulnerable to being played.

It is unfortunate, but a reality. If both being in military service was an issue, wanting a child this much should have had one leaving the military service. All military service members must now have a backup plan for deployment which spells a guardianship to someone for backup if both parents are members.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Can you provide some sort of evidence how military families have a hard time adopting? What legal basis can an agency have for discrimination against a military family. Jobs change, people move, it is not just a military thing. It would be more logical that a military family has a steady employment guarantee, a stable income with benefits, and a support network.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Can you provide some sort of evidence how military families have a hard time adopting? What legal basis can an agency have for discrimination against a military family. Jobs change, people move, it is not just a military thing. It would be more logical that a military family has a steady employment guarantee, a stable income with benefits, and a support network.
Adoption by Military Families - National CASA - CASA for Children

I cannot count how many times I heard that military families are unstable due to deployments and the way they travel from base to base.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 PM

1,065 posts, read 599,848 times
The expectant mother was never a birth mother. This is covert coersion towards the woman, and misleads the Davids Further, the Davids appear to not understand what adoption is for. There might be some credibility to this article, but if the writer is using apostrophes for possessive instead of plural, what other reporting were they sloppy with?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:01 PM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times
Yeah, I am still not buying the military family thing:

https://www.adoptuskids.org/adoption...itary-families

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/f_militia.pdf

Adoption Costs and Financing Options for Military Families

I found many agencies that take applications for adoption from military families.

Often, people are reluctant to discuss the things that might very well limit their ability to adopt a child.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Seems like this adoption attorney been doing this for quite a while

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.2805a251258e

Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Adoption by Military Families - National CASA - CASA for Children

I cannot count how many times I heard that military families are unstable due to deployments and the way they travel from base to base.
This link is an op-ed piece and offers no case or statistics that imply military families have been discriminated against or treated any differently than others.

If the attorney is legitimate and respected, and has actually been doing this for 30 years as his website suggests, then he should know better than to have his clients talking to a birth mother without him in the room. If the potential adoptive family is trying to circumvent the attorney, or is working outside the legal system in some fashion, then the onus is on them.

From the available information we have no way of knowing, but I am very suspect of a family that claims they cannot adopt through legal and mainstream agencies and avenues and then ends up going to the media with a claim against their 'last hope' attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption