Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

393 posts, read 599,187 times

Advertisements

Loses his NCAA eligibilty - just seems wrong - I know there are rules but...

Here is his song on Youtube (also on itunes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8P0pq5NlE

Here is the article that explains why he is losing his eligibilty.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/sports/wrestler-hoping-to-inspire-through-song-loses-eligibility.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
I read the story...what does his being adopted and transracial have to do with his losing his NCAA eligibility? What does losing his NCAA eligibility have to do with Adoption as it pertains to this forum?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM

167 posts, read 187,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I read the story...what does his being adopted and transracial have to do with his losing his NCAA eligibility? What does losing his NCAA eligibility have to do with Adoption as it pertains to this forum?
Lighten up, Francis.

This is a human interest story about an adoptee. It belongs in this forum.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery_Harper View Post
Lighten up, Francis.

This is a human interest story about an adoptee. It belongs in this forum.
So it's not about a student athlete losing his NCAA eligibility? Maybe the link isn't working properly.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
So it's not about a student athlete losing his NCAA eligibility? Maybe the link isn't working properly.
I don't get the connection either.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM

509 posts, read 587,960 times
On a music level, his rapping isn't bad. I liked the sing and the video was actually really well produced. He has a really positive message and I admire that.

On the adoption side, it must have been challenging to grow up in a predominantly white area in a white family. Families raising children of different races (this can often apply to bio children if one parent is if a different race but is not present) really need to be conscious of this. My husband and I will never move to a predominantly white area because our adopted daughter is not Caucasion, and we do not want to isolate her. Our jobs are more city-based anyway, so it makes this easy to know we will always be able to do, but still, it's something we must be conscious of.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM

It's a story about a transracial adoptee who has done good...

Moderator cut: personal, off topic

Last edited by Marka; 03-06-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Thanks for posting this, Artful Dodger - it makes me frustrated to learn that the NCAA is giving this young man such a hard time - someone in the NCAA clearly is clueless! He seems to be intelligent, creative, articulate, and a great role model, who has created a very inspiring song which could positively influence untold numbers of children and teens.

This young man's having been adopted doesn't seem terribly relevent, although it's clear that his family has done a fine job rearing him. Perhaps his story will provide encouragement to others considering transracial adoption.

I hope the NCAA will come to their senses, and support, rather than harrass, this very talented and creative young man and his very worthy efforts and goals.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM

509 posts, read 587,960 times
Moderator cut: personal, off topic
I'm glad you posted. It's an interesting story and I've been lax on my SportsCenter lately so I would have missed it otherwise. He seems like a really amazing and mature young man, and I hope the NCAA sees that they should be supporting such efforts. In this case, the rule was made to be broken.

Last edited by Marka; 03-06-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Craig - while not terribly relevant it is interwinded in the story because he even offered to legally change his name to his birth name - but that wasn't acceptable - while at the same time he wasn't willing to compromise his feelings that he needs to promote his message and do it publicly as coming from him. Speaks a lot to his character - open, honest, willing to compromise to make it work. Yet at the same time he is dismissed as must pick one thing because you can't be good at multiple things - who says you can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption