Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I didn't know adoption was so complicated and expensive. I thought they needed more people to adopt children. I guess everything is "profit first" now days.
"They" need more people to adopt older children, children with mental or physical disabilities, children who have been abused, children of nonwhite races, children who were born addicted to something...

But many people seeking to adopt are looking for healthy infants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree it is a shock to understand the costs, but as for people wanting to adopt and a need, it is quite the opposite. There are not nearly enough babies available. Oh, there are always older kids, but they often come with a lot of baggage. There are children with special needs, this is not something an adoptive family should take lightly and there are inter racial or minorities children, but again, this isn't for everyone. What I am having a problem with is, no compensation for the mother who is giving her child up and yet there are thousands of $$s being collected for someone's profit.
We need to expect and understand that there aren't supposed to be that many orphaned babies, in the first place. It's when families have difficulties that we need to help raise their children. As such, there's not much room for shopping for an ideal child. I think once people understand all this, with the knowledge that adoption is about finding homes for children instead of finding children, then maybe the exorbitant
Finders Fees of thousands of $$, may drop. But for now, adoption has powerful lobbyists and they need the money to continue the trade.

The only compensation for a first mother - should be that she is honored, cherished, spoken with high regard for her child has her genes, and be part of the new family, if all want this and it's safe. And honor the Open Adoption Agreement, which are not binding documents legally - as long as the first parents remain safe.

The seedy part of compensation is - Providing an expectant mother with housing or medical care is predatory towards her, especially since they're probably considering adoption under financial duress. Further, if it's implied that she should relinquish because of what she is receiving, then this coercion. (If I was an expectant mother and some couple did that to me, I would not want them to parent my child.) We can help her but that's it. This is her family member and we should expect that she will remain parenting after the birth - that is the default after all. Now, providing an expectant mother with a monetary value for a human - her human, for our profit or pleasure is similar to the purchase of humans for slavery for they too were used for profit or pleasure. And when the child grows up and becomes an adult, I wonder how they will feel, knowing how much they cost.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Our two Russian adoptions were $25,000 (2001) and $50,000 (2008) so they tend to be pricey.....but worth every penny.
Adopting from Russia isn't possible anymore for Americans.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
We need to expect and understand that there aren't supposed to be that many orphaned babies, in the first place. It's when families have difficulties that we need to help raise their children. As such, there's not much room for shopping for an ideal child. I think once people understand all this, with the knowledge that adoption is about finding homes for children instead of finding children, then maybe the exorbitant

True.

A lot of people unfortunately, tend to think adoption is about getting kids for people who want them, rather than finding good homes for kids.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 PM

981 posts, read 899,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What about fostering? Similar situation, except instead of paying, you get paid. Then later, if the child is right for you, it may be easier and cheaper to adopt.
I have two friends at work that are foster parents (both single in super high stress job, they amaze me). Both are fostering special needs children and are trying to adopt those children. Sadly, the parents are in and out of their lives with good intentions, but have addiction issues and are clearly not able to care for the children, but it roadblocks the adoption process and adds immense challenge (the stop and go of the adoption process, parents showing up for a week every 6 months trying to parent) for these women who at this point just love these children so much. And our company has an extremely generous benefits package for adoption, and they are still stressed beyond belief dealing with this situation. They say it is like this for a lot of their fellow foster parents trying to adopt.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,341,315 times
In 1996, we went the "foster-adopt" route in Colorado -- two half-siblings, then aged three and five, and we adopted them 15 months later. They were considered special needs (behavioral and emotional issues -- especially in the older one), and so we only had to pay the $160 adoption filing fees.

Have things really changed so much in only about 20 years?!

If so, I think that is shameful and outrageous!

Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had some friends who tried to adopt, they paid $20,000 went through the entire process. They day they were supposed to fly out to pick up their new son, someone discovered the kid had some native american blood and he could not be adopted without approval from the tribe he never knew he was related to (nor did his parent apparently). The tribe said no. Goodbye $20,000.

They tried again with another $20,000. I do not recall what happened but it also fell apart at the last minute.

Then they decided to adopt outside the USA. However that turned out to be a scam and they lost some more moeny.

Finally they gave up. Never did adopt. Great couple, very well off. Could have provided a wonderful home for a kid. Couldn't make it happen. They ended up losing about $50,000 and years of their time trying to make it happen.
Saddest news ever--- poor parents hope they can find some peace soon

Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM

828 posts, read 772,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Adopting from Russia isn't possible anymore for Americans.
Very sad, we had wonderful experiences. Our oldest child is in process of selecting a college for her Bio-Medical Engineering degree, very proud of her.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
In 1996, we went the "foster-adopt" route in Colorado -- two half-siblings, then aged three and five, and we adopted them 15 months later. They were considered special needs (behavioral and emotional issues -- especially in the older one), and so we only had to pay the $160 adoption filing fees.

Have things really changed so much in only about 20 years?!

If so, I think that is shameful and outrageous!
No. Things have not changed all that much in 20 years. If you are willing to foster-adopt special needs kids, it's not expensive.

Hope it all worked out for your family!

Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"They" need more people to adopt older children, children with mental or physical disabilities, children who have been abused, children of nonwhite races, children who were born addicted to something...

But many people seeking to adopt are looking for healthy infants.
I mean, I can't really blame people for wanting healthy infants. Since most people can't afford to adopt healthy infants, it makes sense that you'd have to be extremely well off financially to afford a special needs child. I feel for those children though. It's tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
View detailed profiles of: