Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM

640 posts, read 715,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
The sad fact of the matter is that while Mugabe doesn't have a lot of support within Zimbabwe, for very good reason, a lot of continental Africans do admire him because of how he kicked out white farmers. He is still idolized in many countries because of this. I am Ghanaian and know many Ghanaians who admire and respect this man in spite of his dictatorial ways.
It's fairly easy to love the butcher when the cleaver isn't poised to strike you.

Quote:
I see Mugabe for the evil autocrat that he is but I resent all of the non-Africans in this thread who are suggesting we turn the other cheek and be good. Please believe Europeans have set the tone for our future relations and you have no one to blame but themselves. And no, whites living in Africa will never be African.
How's that working so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM

674 posts, read 696,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post

How's that working so far?
Why don't you ask the Europeans who got their land seized...I'm not one of them. I'm Ghanaian.

It would more appropriate, of course, to ask a Zimbabwean. But we both know you don't truly give a damn how we (Africans) are doing.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

640 posts, read 715,424 times
My point is that generational hatred is pointless. No one has ever profited from biting the hand that feeds them and, ultimately, the concept of petitioning the U.N. for constant bailouts without constraints has been unsuccessful. My evidence for this is the current state of 70% of African nations.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 AM

674 posts, read 696,325 times
Zimbabwe not so "ruined" for everyone. Here is a little bit of good news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/wo...ning.html?_r=1

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,726,267 times
Quote:
Zimbabwe not so "ruined" for everyone. Here is a little bit of good news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/wo...ning.html?_r=1

I wonder if food production is making a comeback.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,587,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Africa can unite and become a great super power. If it wishes- The oppression and cruelty by colonialism has left one crippling by product- Intense hatred of all that is white...This is the real curse of the whites who were evil- Once they induce hatred and it becomes an inner spiritual sickness......You are ruined for generations- A person in hate- can only bring about suffering to others and destruction of themselves- stop teaching your children to hate- It is like chopping off their hands and feet..You do your child and the next generation a dis- service- Forget the scars of the past...stop looking at them and move forward.
I agree with this. Stop teaching the children to hate. It is vicious circle and never really accomplishes anything good or fosters the ability to move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I don't mean to sound naive but if colonialism was so evil and 100% responsible for all the ills that the African continent now suffers, how come colonialism in other parts of the world has NOT resulted in this same situation? You don't see these kinds of problems in Hong Kong, Singapore, the Caribbean or parts of the Mediterranean. What is so different about Africa? And why is it always someone else's fault? Did anyone hold a gun to Mugabe's head and force him to be the dictator he is? Did anyone force Idi Amin or the Hutu in Rwanda? You can say these were a result of colonialism but those people could just as easily have decided NOT to behave like monsters. At what point do these oppressors take responsibility for their own actions and choices?
This is an excellent point. I sometimes think there is too much of the victim mentality and the need to blame others in the African personality. It's always someone elses fault and the solution is to maim and kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
My point is that generational hatred is pointless. No one has ever profited from biting the hand that feeds them and, ultimately, the concept of petitioning the U.N. for constant bailouts without constraints has been unsuccessful. My evidence for this is the current state of 70% of African nations.
I want to see Africa succeed in becoming the countries that they should be. I know there is still oppression going on from other races but, education, perverence and hard work is the key. When a country sinks into violence, hatred, and murder, no one takes them seriously. The corruption in some African nations is incredible. Who is to blame for that ? Stealing food that is intended for famine victims, withholding it or selling it on the black market....their own people do that. Just as Africans were sold into American slavery by their own leaders. There is still generational slavery in Africa as we speak.

Africa need to move into the 21st century. I wonder can it as a whole ? I hope so.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,587,157 times
I went to give Chris Balducci (sp) a rep for a post and I see he no longer a member. What a shame. I thought he had something to offer.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,523,399 times
Does Zimbabwe have a stock exchange? Anyone know how the companies are structured over there?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,069,539 times
They would have been better off under colonial rule in the long run ... look at some of the remaining British colonies like Bermuda or the Cayman Islands, they are largely self governing (except for things like defense, foreign affairs, citizenship, court of final appeals, etc).

A recent poll indicated that 77% of Bermudans (about 2/3 of whom are Black) are opposed to independence. Polling in the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, Montserrat, etc has shown similar figures.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,080,529 times
Quote:
The sad fact of the matter is that while Mugabe doesn't have a lot of support within Zimbabwe, for very good reason, a lot of continental Africans do admire him because of how he kicked out white farmers. He is still idolized in many countries because of this. I am Ghanaian and know many Ghanaians who admire and respect this man in spite of his dictatorial ways.
This is the reason Africa will always struggle in all areas of advancement; they seem to be unable to see past colour and look at corrupt lunatics like Mugabe for what they really are. When Mugabe caused a famine by killing the white farmers and turning their land over to blacks who had no experience in agriculture, the black Africans lauded him with accolades despite the fact they were starving in the street as a result. This is the equivalent of America looking back at the economic collapse in 2008 and lauding Wall Street for using taxpayers money to make a comeback despite the entire country suffering massively as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa