Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times

Advertisements

D.C. has the largest Ethiopian population in the country and I can tell you from experience most of them don't consider themselves "black".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
D.C. has the largest Ethiopian population in the country and I can tell you from experience most of them don't consider themselves "black".
No shocker there, as they consider themselves African. After all, Ethiopia is in....Africa.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
they are beautiful. they look like this

ETHIOPIA BEAUTY - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM

196 posts, read 658,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
If more people appreciated darkskin, round nose, kinky hair, and full lipped black women than these threads would never descend into light vs dark. People are always showing appreciation towards the african women who have a mixed look and NEVER appreciate the beauty of west african looking women that look just black. of course this is going to make some of us salty and mad if the whole world thinks you are ugly because you are black
But why do you care what other people think?

This seems to be a huge deal for you because it seems like everything you talk about is in relation to this.

I've told you before that there are PLENTY of Black children being born to two Black parents, so apparently somebody likes Black women, but you seem to be upset that EVERYBODY doesn't like the way you look.

I don't care for blondes.

A lot of other people do.

Who cares?

You really need to work out your self-esteem issues if this is on your mind this much

Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 AM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
...D.C. has the largest Ethiopian population in the country and I can tell you from experience most of them don't consider themselves "black".
It depends on the location and context. In the US for example, when one says I am "black", he means he is "African-American". Ethiopians are Africans, they are NOT "African-Americans". That's what they mean when they say they are not black.

Regarding their looks and skin colors, there is a great diversity within Ethiopia. In the Southern parts of Ethiopia (in places like Arba Minch for ex), you have Ethiopians who look just like West Africans. Then as you go north (in places like Wollo, Tigray, Gondar, Oromo regions), you have a whole range of features and hair textures (from Arab/Indian looking to those in between). In general, they are short or petite. To see real beauty, you have to go to Ethiopia that's where they are. The Ethiopians in the US are ok for the most part but that's because the stress of living in America has taken a toll on their face and overall looks (they are too busy to take care of themselves by eating right, exercising, etc). Most live beyond their means and love to compete with their Ethiopian neighbors. In other words, they live beyond their means to impress others.

Someone said most of the Ethiopians in the US come from Addis. That's a big lie! Some do, but the majority are from other cities (like Nazaret, Ambo, Gondar, Gojjam, Awassa, etc) but they come here in the US and want to say they were "city" people (it is a status thing for them). Also, for the most part, 80% of the Ethiopians in the US (or in the UK, Canada, etc) come from EXTREMELY poor families in Ethiopia. That is why they are in the US, to do small jobs (taxi driving, parking lot attendants, restaurant work, baby-seating, etc) and send some money to their families there. Think about it, if they were comfortable (or had even a middle-class status in Ethiopia), why would they leave that comfort to come to the US to accept small wage work????

The other 20% of the Ethiopians came here for higher studies and work in various high professions in the legal, medical or engineering fields. In this percentage, there are also political refugees.

You may wonder how I know all this? I lived in Addis for 8 years for a project and travelled in various parts of the country.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM

89 posts, read 135,849 times
The thing that Joe33 said about them coming from the south. I heard that too from a priest there. and about the astoroid strike. Man originated in ethiopia. Dosent mean the ethiopians did.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 13,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Ethiopians are African, period. They are known to be quite beautiful. Africa has beautiful men and women all over the continent. Ethiopians look different from West Africans or South Africans because they live in a different part of the continent. It's just that simple. Why do Italians look different from Germans? Why do Russians look different from Spaniards? They just live in different parts of Europe.
I agree, good post.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM

89 posts, read 135,849 times
Not correct at all.
All you need to do is look at the dna and it is obvious that Ethiopians are a mixture. Much more of a mixture than the rest of africans. They contain haplogroups in large quantities than are far removed from L0 and not even present at all in most other africans. A large percentage of the dna contains european haplogroups. Father side leads to europe and asia. Maternal goes back to L0 so it leads to believe that europeans came long long ago and bred with the locals or they are returnees of people who migrated to asia and the cacusus. Who knows. But they are from there just as much as the vikings are or anyone else for that matter. We all originated from somewhere near there at one point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa