Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
I typically take to Bellanaija for very extensive photos of events, the scene and a very nice blend of the traditional blended with the modern. I will post a few pictures of this very soon.

But I will start with Fashion and style, which is high point for many Nigerians.

An example is the Arise Fashion Week event hosted in Lagos (2012). This was also a noted new addition to the Mercedez Benz Fashion Week in New York, but the Nigerian organizers bringing it home for a change was nice.

Red Carpet Wears on the event.

A few noted Designers (all Nigerian, except noted otherwise):

Tiffany Amber

A event which was something like that was held in 2002 and it ended up in a riot where at least 100 people were killed. It was due to Muslim youths protesting the international event which was "Miss World". BBC ON THIS DAY | 23 | 2002: Riots force Miss World out of Nigeria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM

74 posts, read 200,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
A event which was something like that was held in 2002 and it ended up in a riot where at least 100 people were killed. It was due to Muslim youths protesting the international event which was "Miss World". BBC ON THIS DAY | 23 | 2002: Riots force Miss World out of Nigeria

This was a Northern muslim riot over what they considered to an event objectifying women (pageant). Violent and unjustifiable, yes, but unrelated to the Nigerian fashion industry, which is making a notable come-up.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
Read Newspaper[/url]
The main problems with the Niger-Delta region have not yet been resolved actually - i.e. environmental degradation and limited means for livelihood as a result of oil spills (a lot of Niger-Deltans subsist on fishing and farming). You are probably referring to how the government has been able to put a stop to militants as far as kidnapping expatriates.

As for how to mitigate the long-lasting effects of the Niger-Delta mess - sadly oil accounts for the majority of foreign earnings, a cash cow for many Nigerian Government officials (salary wise and other) who do not have much leverage or pull to influence oil companies to provide compensation to the masses, as opposed to the US in handling the BP fiasco, for instance. Nor do they care to unfortunately.
What I meant was, why didn't the local people organize protests decades before the militants organized and acted? The government does have pull to influence oil companies. It can enact stricter environmental laws. It's the oil-producing nations that hold the cards, not the oil-consuming nations. Even if the gov't is corrupt, it could enact stricter laws, and still skim money off the top; it wouldn't hurt their income much, if at all.

Another question: how to solve the government corruption issue? Is it impossible, as long as there's oil money for those at the top to feed off of?

Have you heard about the lawsuit against Chevron filed by Indigenous communities in the Amazon forest in Ecuador? Residents of the Niger Delta could file a lawsuit in US court against the oil companies for destruction of their environment, their livelihood, and adverse health effects. Has anyone done a study on the health effects on the locals caused by waste products from oil extraction? There's a high level of cancer in the Amazonian communities that live on or near oil waste holding ponds. The water there hasn't been drinkable for a couple of decades (water is flown in, now), and it's no longer safe to bathe in the rivers.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-07-2012 at 11:38 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been thinking of opening up a business in the USA, as a kind of processing center or clearing house for Nigerian scams, so Nigerians can avoid the risk at home of 419 prosecutions. Do you think Nigerian scammers would be interested in this kind of business freedom which is uniquely American?
Thanks, pal--we love you, too.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Why doesn't Nigeria split up? Instead the country keeps suffering from the aftermaths of the division policy the Brits deliberately implemented when they drew the borders the way they did.
Islam in particular is a problem wherever it has to coexist with other religions. Add to that the ethnic differences and you are destined to have a mess...

What's Internet coverage like these days? Still an elite thing?

Cute women judging from those pics

I used to have a Nigerian professor, very nice person. Totally accessible, unlike European professors who consider themselves deities ^^ But I guess he was not happy in Europe, we are so distant, introverted, and, well, a bit cold compared to Africans.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
Dr Gordon Pedersen has proven to have formulated his nano engineered Silver Sol that cured 900 victims of Malaria in Nairobi Kenya and I believe five in Ghana including an endstage infant !!! I will be investigating why additional Malaria patients are being prohibited from emergent treatment not withstanding India?!! We smell Pharma and kickbacks within government officials, but working with Physicians Without Borders and the World Heath Org. could imact this atrocity! I believe military support (security force) for the medical team needs to set up in segmented clinics throughout Africa and the irradication of Malaria can begin with a three year window and same in India. 55 gallon drums are sitting in storage of this non injectable breakthrough. What's up with this!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? Major Malaria organizations are so clueless it's criminal!!! Donations and Africa's government could foot the unknown bill, but I believe it would be far less than the obsured immunizations now plaguing naive Africans.

Last edited by Rabbidave; 10-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Formating

Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM

27 posts, read 58,082 times
Where do the Nigerians in Miami hang out?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM

68 posts, read 109,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Is Nigeria very unsafe to travel to? I heard it is quite unsafe.
Back in 1978, I roamed around quite freely in the cross river state. I was in the employ of ITT Nigeria Ltd Telephone Outside Plant. The people were warm and friendly. Our camp was on the road between Uyo and Abak. I lead a crew of about 25 Nigerian workers, They were smart labor, embued with a sense of humor and watched out for me quite carefully. They were, without a doubt, the best crew I have ever worked with. I would greatly like to get back in touch with some of them. I went by the name of Mr. Dusty.......I still go by Dusty.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM

233 posts, read 445,212 times
Great pictures, Mantana! For those of us who aren't world travelers (but would love to be!), this was a treat. From your pictures, Nigeria looks to be a beautiful country. What are the months you would consider to be your best weather, and what is the weather like?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Very interesting thread. Would you say there is a growing technology industry in Nigeria especially in information technology or software engineering? As my education background is in these subjects, I am curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa