Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,575,115 times

Advertisements

I loved all of the pictures, thank you so much. I especially like the fashion pictures (I'm female) and find the women really very beautiful. I like the headdresses a lot, as well. Great view of Nigeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,979,448 times
Is there an honest one among you?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,384,582 times
Such a great thread!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,755,150 times
Why is skin bleaching so popular in Nigeria?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,820,638 times
My question will be simply : how long can a white man last in Negeria (in minutes, hours, or days, not talking of weeks much less of months) before being scammed, mugged, robbed, or killed ?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 AM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
This thread may or may not be hailstorm in the making, depending on the responses. But feel free to ask any question that you may have concerning Nigeria, culture, people, places, etc (as long as there is no sarcasm involved, of course)...
Thank you so much for starting this thread! I found the highlights extremely interesting and I loved the photos! The baboons remind me of a time in my life not too long ago:

I'm NOT fond of baboons. Where I used to work, the animal show guy had a couple of baboons and one day he brought one to work. It was on leash and I was told, as a female, to stand clear because, well, you probably understand how male baboons think. I did stand clear.

But, I made the mistake of setting my pop bottle down on a table within its reach, even with the leash. He took that pop bottle and declared it his own. He held on to it for some time and then finally he put it back on the table, albeit on its side. Well, I didn't understand baboons, let alone male baboons, I just knew to stand clear. When he finally put my pop bottle back, I went to get it because I was thirsty and damnit, it was MY pop! I paid for it!

Well, Mr. Baboon did NOT LIKE THAT! When I reached to get my pop bottle, I had taken one step inside that invisible circle and he leaped at me. The animal show guy was thankfully on top of his game. I got a big fat punch in the chest by this damn baboon before animal show guy jerked him back. That baboon was going to let me have it.

As it was, he climbed on animal guy's shoulders and screamed at me for a good five minutes. He then made a POINT to look at me in a threatening manner...just hoping I would step inside that circle again so he could rip me to shreds.

Sometime later I got to work on animal guy's compound and that baboon would beat the bars, hop and jump and climb and scream at me if I got in to some invisible area he decided he owned. (Even though it was outside of his cage.) Man he hated me. I never went close to his cage, except to clean, but I still kept a good distance letting the hose do the work.

Regardless, even when I just walked in to the compound, he would see me and start throwing his fit that would last a couple of minutes. His name was Timmy so I started messing with him knowing he hated me. I started saying, "Timmeh!!!" like the kids on South Park, every time I went to the compound and he started in. That just made him hate me more.

Funny thing is, another girl worked at that compound and Timmeh!!! loved her. She would stand next to his cage and he would "groom" her hair. She could touch his little baboon hands and he enjoyed every moment of it. But me? I was on his **** list forever.

The girl baboon was nicer. I could get closer to her but not right next to her cage. (Meaning not within her reach. I would see how far out she could reach from the cage and sit just beyond that). I would sit and throw her fruits or nuts, bananas, whatever and read out loud to her. She was slowly starting to build her trust with me but man did it take a really, really long time. It didn't help that Timmeh!!! was throwing an all out fit every time I, "talked to his girl". So, yah, baboons are not my favorite creatures.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info. I don't have any questions at this time. I only knew one thing about Nigeria and it's not in the positive light thanks to all those spammers. But now I see positive things and great photos and can open my mind up. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 AM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Ok, have seen more of the thread. I am beyond impressed with the formal wear. I think even at my most dressed up I would look sorely underdressed compared to them. I really like what they are wearing! And they are really beautiful. I would not be able to stand next to them for they would make me look horrific.

I do have a question and I don't mean to start anything, I don't say it in any mean way, I think it's a legit question:

As a white girl, I know I would stick out like a sore thumb...would I be welcomed? Is there any hatred towards whites? Would I be treated nicely not just by those in the hospitality and tourism industry? Would the common man or woman on the street be courteous?

Another question:

There was a photo of a woman sitting next to...blankets? Maybe it was something else, and a whole bunch of suitcases in the background. What are those? How nice they look, I would love to have one. Is she selling those, are there street vendors where you can buy cool stuff like that or do you have to do all of your shopping in stores?

Ok, another question:

Yes, I could look it up but I like to hear from people who actually live there or have experienced it. What is the temp like at the warmest part of the year? Is it horribly humid? Is it comfortable? What about mosquitoes?

Oh, one more:

As a female, are there any guidelines for dress when one travels to that country? I know in some countries, (as I used to work in travel), we advised women not to wear sleeveless blouses or shorts or things like that out of respect for the country and their beliefs. Anything like that for Nigeria?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,979,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My question will be simply : how long can a white man last in Negeria (in minutes, hours, or days, not talking of weeks much less of months) before being scammed, mugged, robbed, or killed ?
the answer is same regardless of color. I applied for a visa there once to visit a girl and the Nigerian Consular official gave me my change in photocopied dollar bills.

At that moment i decided it was not a good idea to visit nigeria..no matter how hot the girl was.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,146,544 times
Great photos. It's certainly not the usual picture most of the world thinks of when the subject of Nigeria comes up. Keep 'em coming.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM

27 posts, read 57,882 times
I am looking for an Igbo speaking female to practise speaking Igbo with. Over the phone is fine. Where can I post this up? How would I go about advertising for this?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa