Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's exactly why some aren't friendly. Should tourists that come to see the U.S. drive into the country and find the country hicks to see what Americans are really like? Immigrants aren't ashamed of their countries. They just don't want to be bothered with ignorant people and their ridiculous comments, such as the ones you posted.

The majority of immigrants are immensenly proud of ther countries and do their best to preserve their traditions here. Ask their first generation American children how their families often emphasize being a *insert ethnicity*-American. You must not really be around many immigrants or pay much attention, because wherever there are immigrant communities, you are bound to find different festivals, foods etc.
You said immigrants do their best to preserve their traditions here.
Well,HELLO,that's the problem. If an immigrant wants to preserve their traditions in the Usa,well,they should go back to where they came from. We are known as the melting pot.
If they are so much proud of their home countries,why do they leave in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,HELLO,that's the problem. If an immigrant wants to preserve their traditions in the Usa,well,they should go back to where they came from. We are known as the melting pot.
If they are so much proud of their home countries,why do they leave in the first place?
What is there to bring to the pot if the traditions all go away? You have to preserve something in order to contribute to the melting pot otherwise it all tastes like water.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In many parts of Africa black women and basically people in general are supposed to be a bit obese as that means you are not poor because obviously you can afford lots of food Petite women are not considered attractive in many parts of Africa, maybe they carry that attitude with them when they go to the US
Also, lighter-skinned women in Africa are considered to be more beautiful than dark. Models, stewardesses, performers, TV personalities, they quite often (if not usually) have lighter skin, suggesting some non-African ancestry.

Like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6P6FK65E83...t%2BHeader.jpg

Have you noticed that on American TV ads depicting an African-American couple deliriously enjoying the sponsor's product. the man is always significantly darker than the woman (watch for it). Women of DARK color are not considered beautiful anywhere, but for men, dark is OK if not preferred.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-17-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I don't know, I can't watch US commercials. But in TV series and movies there is a similar tendency. The average AA actress is not as black as the average AA actor if I am not mistaken Just a couple of days ago I watched an episode of Private Practice, the actor is quite dark. I can hardly think of an actress that dark-skinned.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also, lighter-skinned women in Africa are considered to be more beautiful than dark. Models, stewardesses, performers, TV personalities, they quite often (if not usually) have lighter skin, suggesting some non-African ancestry.

Like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6P6FK65E83...t%2BHeader.jpg

Have you noticed that on American TV ads depicting an African-American couple deliriously enjoying the sponsor's product. the man is always significantly darker than the woman (watch for it). Women of DARK color are not considered beautiful anywhere, but for men, dark is OK if not preferred.
That's why I find it bizzare when people give Halle Berry as an example of a 'beautiful black women'. What are considered attractive black women in the US are bascially mixed race women with a dark complexion.

It would seem then that dark women are on the bottom of the scrap heap, even in Africa

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
When my wife called me into the TV room to say Look, Vanessa Williams has become the first black Miss America, I had to ask "Which one is she?"

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?

Maybe it's you with the attitude problem, not them. You think they don't like you because you see yourself as beautiful?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
In case you haven't noticed, immigrants that do their best to preserve their traditions here have made the country what it is today. Those descendants of immigrants whose ancestors brought over their languages (particularly English) and plenty other traditions that are now incorporated into "American culture" should have gone back instead of starting the trend that we see today. Start you complaints there.

This certainly is a melting pot of people who brought and continue bring their cultures here and the maintenance of those cultures has resulted in the melting pot that we have today. But if you have an issue with that, let those whose ancestors came over first lead the way in discarding any remnants of their ancestors' cultures. Let them learn "American Indian" languages and practices since HELLO, they started the problem that you are complaining about, which is in fact the creation and maintenance of the melting pot.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been to quite a few countries, and when ever I meet someone from a country I've been to, I always open up and show an interest in talking about their country. They are never interested, and usually blow me off to the point or rudeness. The "ridiculous comments I posted" are based on that kind of experience. That is quite different from the rubes you referenced, who ask them questions like "Just where the hell is Africa, anyway?"

By the way, do you really believe that "country hicks" are less knowledgeable about the world than the erudite denizens of whatever glittering metropolitan hellhole you live in? The District of Columbia has a higher school dropout rate than any state that has "country hicks", so that is all the further a visitor needs to go to find the maximum concentration of ignorant and uneducated people.
DC Takes Top Honors -- for Worst Graduation Rate in U.S. | CNS News
Only 59% of DC students stay in school long enough to graduate, compared to 86-88% of the country hicks in Iowa, Nebraska and Tennessee. That's not just Washington -- every city has more ignorant dropouts than in the surrounding countryside:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...pout.html?_r=0
People seem very open to share their cultures with me. Not sure what your issue is, but maybe people are sensing the type of ignorance that you post here.

The point is that I do not believe that country hicks are representation of the entire U.S. The rest of your post about DC is hilarious. Do you understand the meaning of "metropolitan area?" I actually have never lived in DC but grew up in the suburbs. So the statistics in DC proper are neither here nor there to me. The DC metropolitan area includes portions of Maryland, Virginia (Northern VA) and DC. The DC metropolitan area is the most educated and most wealthy area of the U.S. See for yourself:

Quote:
The Washington area's affluence and education levels make it the wealthiest and most educated region in the nation, according to census data released Tuesday that reflect five years of relative prosperity compared with the rest of the country.
D.C. region is nation's richest, most educated

So to your question... Yes, your average country hicks is likely less knowledgeable about the world than an individual in the most educated and wealthy "hell hole" in where I was raised. I don't reside in area and live much closer to the country hicks. Though not most, representative of the U.S., I do appreciate aspects of their way of life. Good try though! LOL!

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-19-2012 at 04:33 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
In case you haven't noticed, immigrants that do their best to preserve their traditions here have made the country what it is today. Those descendants of immigrants whose ancestors brought over their languages (particularly English) and plenty other traditions that are now incorporated into "American culture" should have gone back instead of starting the trend that we see today. Start you complaints there.

This certainly is a melting pot of people who brought and continue bring their cultures here and the maintenance of those cultures has resulted in the melting pot that we have today. But if you have an issue with that, let those whose ancestors came over first lead the way in discarding any remnants of their ancestors' cultures. Let them learn "American Indian" languages and practices since HELLO, they started the problem that you are complaining about, which is in fact the creation and maintenance of the melting pot.
So let me guess,you would be ok with integrating Sharia law in the Usa?
Besides,it part of some immigrants bringing their culture here.
The fact is they did discard it,learned to speak English,didn't wave their flags from their mother countries around,and do forth. Many traditions were kept,but many were also shed. If we were truly a melting pot the majority of people won't speak English in America today. Can you imagine if the German immigrants waved the German flag around and demanded things be written in German?
I hear many carribeans say"I'm only here to make money and go back home".
I'm sorry, but that's so wrong on aLL LEVELS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa