Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM

237 posts, read 438,797 times

Advertisements

The Truth Is...

Africans were alot more involved in European culture and politics than anyone in the west cares to admit today...

It is correct that the Moors invaded and conquered in Europe only up to about the Pyrenees in Spain with some military campaigns all the way up to Tours in France, however the Moorish presence was felt in Spain for almost 1000 years (750-1492.)

I wish I was able to see the cities (Cordoba) when they were first built they really were beautiful

However the Moors were then part of an conglomeration of states that stretch from Spain to Bactria/Afghanistan during what was once a united Muslim empire. It was one of the grandest mixes of ethnicity coexisting at one time only rivaled by the Roman Empire before it and our later modern society, all under Islam. This however fractured and never again were large swathes of Africa united but understand the influence stretched far into the Sahara and the Sahel which back then was larger than in recent times. Yes Berber tribes exist who are lighter in complexion however there are also darker complexed tribes in the Sahara(many.)

Times to realize the true history of the planet, not that processed knowledge they feed you... Oh and Egypt was/is very black (Nubian Pharoahs) yet there were also white pharaohs during times of Ptolemy.

Last edited by jayhopethismeeturstandard; 03-08-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM

237 posts, read 438,797 times
Oh and early Catholic Church was black (first 6 popes too)

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,512,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
You stated that african features with light skin did not look right, and I mentioned women, who were naturally light complected with West African features. they look pretty normal to me and its not uncommon
I said no such thing. Check the posts. I actually told an earlier poster that they could not say that because many people with light skin - such as my own children - have African features.

//www.city-data.com/forum/28528543-post62.html

I said that bleached skin with African features was unnatural and unhealthy.

Get it right.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM

521 posts, read 759,913 times
We bleach because most men prefer lightskin. Duh

Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times
Quote:

No, you bleach because someone lied to the men and women about something being wrong with dark skin. Stop believing lies, and believe the truth. Dark skin is perfect the way it is.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,512,484 times
Quote:
If that's your reasoning, it's not a very good way of thinking. "Most" men do not prefer any skin color, and bleaching is bad for you physically. Dark skin is no better or worse than light, but if you are born dark, you should stay that way.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM

9,769 posts, read 14,606,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I said no such thing. Check the posts. I actually told an earlier poster that they could not say that because many people with light skin - such as my own children - have African features.

//www.city-data.com/forum/28528543-post62.html

I said that bleached skin with African features was unnatural and unhealthy.

Get it right.
I have been suspecting for quite a while now that the incessant interest some people have in making it known that many people bleach their skin, has somewhat to do with some deep rooted resentment towards the lighter skin mixed race people.

I'm not saying the anti-bleaching campaign is entirely based on this, because I still think its mostly an awareness situation; but definitely, some people simply want to shame those who are light skin, regardless of the reason.

The vast majority of very fair or light skinned people with obvious African features were probably born that way, most of them are probably of mixed race ancestry and a tiny percentage may be albinos. In many Latin American countries they have terms such as jabao to refer to very light skin mixed race people with strong African features, and these people have existed since the day racial mixture started.

Its such a shame there are people out there that seem to want to shame all light skin mixed race people. Maybe they want for everyone to assume that any light skin mixed race person with strong African features bleach their skin, and for the population to either mock them or criticize them/gossip about them. It must be hard for those that are naturally jabao to be thought of as skin bleachers or to even be made fun of thanks to the warped anti-light skin campaign some people want to spread.

Look at Rhianna, the famous Barbadian singer. Many people on the internet have suggested, and some have even insulted her because they assume, she bleached her skin and that explains her appearance. In reality, she is just one more mulatto woman who happens to be born with very fair skin and African features. Its really nothing out of this world, just a product of multigenerational racial mixing. But there are many people that will envy her for that, as weird as this may sound, and I think these are the people with a vested interest in having jabao people, like Rhianna, be shamed, ridiculed or rejected.

Imagine how a jabao must feel when he/she walks down the street and someone gives them a look of disapproval, all because they assumed such person bleached their skin. That must be horrible.

This anti-light skin/jabao campaign needs to have an overhaul or, at the very least, be corrected so people don't start to question if every light skin person they see is like that because of skin bleaching.

I repeat, I think this overblowing of the whole skin bleaching campaign has an ulterior motive and its probably some sort of resentment towards lighter skin people.

This is Rhianna:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-conte...assic-look.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vyCf6z7uw8...0/1rhianna.JPG

http://www.beautycareme.com/wp-conte...t-haistyle.jpg

Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 PM

152 posts, read 294,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhopethismeeturstandard View Post
Times to realize the true history of the planet, not that processed knowledge they feed you... Oh and Egypt was/is very black (Nubian Pharoahs) yet there were also white pharaohs during times of Ptolemy.
Thank you for posting this! I don't know enough about Egypt to have a firm opinion of my own, but I keep hearing this back and forth argument about ancient Egyptians being white or black. Given its location, I have always felt it was entirely possible that ancient Egypt was an interracial society, but it's one of those subjects that I always think about looking up and never have time to...

The idea of wanting to bleach your own skin creeps me out a little, but so do many forms of self altercation. I can definitely see how colonization would play a part in it. Still, I'm hesitant to accuse anyone of feeling that way unless I personally know them since some people just do stuff because they like it regardless of the rest of the world. I have noticed that most black celebrities and models do seem to have lighter skin, too... I always thought that was odd but didn't put too much effort into questioning why or what effects it might have on darker skinned black women's self esteem. It is definitely something to consider... The media is a terrifyingly powerful thing sometimes.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I have been suspecting for quite a while now that the incessant interest some people have in making it known that many people bleach their skin, has somewhat to do with some deep rooted resentment towards the lighter skin mixed race people.

I'm not saying the anti-bleaching campaign is entirely based on this, because I still think its mostly an awareness situation; but definitely, some people simply want to shame those who are light skin, regardless of the reason.

The vast majority of very fair or light skinned people with obvious African features were probably born that way, most of them are probably of mixed race ancestry and a tiny percentage may be albinos. In many Latin American countries they have terms such as jabao to refer to very light skin mixed race people with strong African features, and these people have existed since the day racial mixture started.

Its such a shame there are people out there that seem to want to shame all light skin mixed race people. Maybe they want for everyone to assume that any light skin mixed race person with strong African features bleach their skin, and for the population to either mock them or criticize them/gossip about them. It must be hard for those that are naturally jabao to be thought of as skin bleachers or to even be made fun of thanks to the warped anti-light skin campaign some people want to spread.

Look at Rhianna, the famous Barbadian singer. Many people on the internet have suggested, and some have even insulted her because they assume, she bleached her skin and that explains her appearance. In reality, she is just one more mulatto woman who happens to be born with very fair skin and African features. Its really nothing out of this world, just a product of multigenerational racial mixing. But there are many people that will envy her for that, as weird as this may sound, and I think these are the people with a vested interest in having jabao people, like Rhianna, be shamed, ridiculed or rejected.

Imagine how a jabao must feel when he/she walks down the street and someone gives them a look of disapproval, all because they assumed such person bleached their skin. That must be horrible.

This anti-light skin/jabao campaign needs to have an overhaul or, at the very least, be corrected so people don't start to question if every light skin person they see is like that because of skin bleaching.

I repeat, I think this overblowing of the whole skin bleaching campaign has an ulterior motive and its probably some sort of resentment towards lighter skin people.

This is Rhianna:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-conte...assic-look.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vyCf6z7uw8...0/1rhianna.JPG

http://www.beautycareme.com/wp-conte...t-haistyle.jpg
I have never heard of anyone mention that Rhianna bleaches her skin. There have been some very ignorant and racists comments about her features right here on CD. I personally think her features are amazing. I find African features to be beautiful, so I am biased in that regard. There is nothing wrong with light skin if that is one's normal tone. The problem is when people with darker complexions harm themselves with toxic bleaching agents in order to feel more approval, acceptance, love from those around them, or society at large. Celebrating light skin while degrading dark skin is the problem. It would be great to simply celebrate them both. Maybe then, a person like Sammy Sosa would not have felt the need to destroy the complexion that he was born with in order to lighten his skin. A lot of dark skinned men bleach their skin too. Most don't want to talk about that.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM

521 posts, read 759,913 times
I don't blame them for bleaching. Heck, i do it too. No point in people being fake about darkskin being revered as beautiful when its not. Obviously black women like me are just trying to keep up with the competition and doing what we have to do in order to find happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa