Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM

244 posts, read 593,082 times

Advertisements

Just curious, since in 2011 Luanda, Angola has been rated one of the most expensive cities for foreigners/expatriots, I was hoping I could get the perspective of someone who knows it well. What is it that is expensive there, say compared to other cities, and why if you may know? Also, what cities could it be compared when speaking of expenses. I would appreciate details about basic amenities, food, transport, housing, tourism, and cost of living in general. Cheers in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
I know someone who spent some time in Luanda a few years ago. Anything that an expat might want that is not locally produced is extremely expensive. Luanda is rated as the most expensive city worldwide for expats.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,407 times
Expats will have their wallets gutted. It's crazy expensive in that city, but if you're an entrepreneur, this will be good for you. Part of the reason it is so expensive is because the city and the country are so new to the fact that the world is now watching. Due to that, there is very little competition between things (such as hotels), allowing for people to completely drive up prices. More hotels and competition have been introduced to the city, and with the growing foreign population, the city has been trying to reduce prices, or so they say.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Expats will have their wallets gutted. It's crazy expensive in that city, but if you're an entrepreneur, this will be good for you. Part of the reason it is so expensive is because the city and the country are so new to the fact that the world is now watching. Due to that, there is very little competition between things (such as hotels), allowing for people to completely drive up prices. More hotels and competition have been introduced to the city, and with the growing foreign population, the city has been trying to reduce prices, or so they say.
I don't like having my wallet gutted even in places that seem well worth it.

For example, I found Vladivostok Russia to cost more for more than than I already spend in Japan. But I'm not getting any of the amenities of Japan whatsoever.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't like having my wallet gutted even in places that seem well worth it.

For example, I found Vladivostok Russia to cost more for more than than I already spend in Japan. But I'm not getting any of the amenities of Japan whatsoever.
I'm surprised Vladivastok would cost so much. Doesn't it export/produce things? I thought that would make a city less expensive, as they are the producers, and not consumers...

About Luanda, there is a fast growing foreign population in the city, most notably portuguese. I'm sure there are forums or something, where they talk about their experiences there.

Though, the content will undoubtedly be in portuguese.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I was just watching a little documentary on the new Luanda World Trade Center, a huge project that will cost several billion dollars. The problem is that in my view the city goes in the wrong direction, with all that fancy new infrastructure prices will continue to rise, while most people have to live in slums around the city.

Since Angolans are not overly qualified, basically they have to hire foreigners for any more sophisticated jobs. There are already 300k Portuguese living in that city of about 7m, but also lots of other foreigners.

They should invest in education, housing and basic infrastructure (water, electricity, sanitation, Internet) for everyone instead so that a solid middle class can develop within in one generation. Progress would be slower, but more thorough and long-lasting.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Maybe this will help

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 08-17-2014, 12:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I wonder how the locals are adjusting to this?

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-17-2014 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa