Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
I do you think Africans are overtaking you while competing for jobs that you feel you should have? How?

A high % of African immigrants ARRIVE with college education. Many others arrive to attend college.

Despite the fact that Africans are collectively the most educated immigrant group, indeed on average more educated than whites, one would expect this group to have the highest earnings. Instead African households on average earn the same as black immigrants from the English speaking Caribbean. This group being considerably less educated than are Africans.

So why is that? Shouldnt we discuss why this highly educated group seems to0 have difficultites in translating this into economic success in the USA (as well as in the UK)?

Maybe African immigrants encounter more barriers than do non black immigrants. Maybe the more Westernized black Caribbean immigrants face less stigma than do Africans.

That certainly makes more sense than for a college educated group boasting that it does better than another group which has been hobbled by its history in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
During slavery, a slave that had white appearance but was known to be mixed was considered to be white race, but race was determined based on your appearance.are often not taught.

You keep on saying this. Even if true very few mixed people can pass as being of English, German or Irish stock, these being the dominant groups during slavery.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Arabs and Europeans were the ones who carved up Africa without regards to ethnic boundaries, then they have issues with multiculturalism. #Irony

What role did the Arabs play in divide the Akan peoples of Ivory Coast from those of Togo and Ghana.

The Arabs were dominant in East Africa. They played a role mainly as traders in the Sahel regions, and were not a factor in other parts of West and West Central Africa.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM

315 posts, read 383,607 times
Quote:
Henry Louis Gates Jr has over 54% European ancestry and somewhere between 7% and 10% Native American/Asian ancestry according to his DNA genetics test.

It's no secret that he is obviously mostly WHITE.
Dr. Gates DNA genetics test have nothing to do with the subject matter, nor should it have any bearing on his scholarship. He is not absolving Europeans from slavery, but on the contrary, delving deeper into a complex, painful part of Black history. He does explore how expansive the slave trade was by not only building up the economy of European colonists but certain African nations as well.

Or would you prefer Dr. Gates to go back in time to his white ancestors and say, "don't be part of my genetic DNA because no one will take my work seriously if I have European ancestry in my background". His white ancestry doesn't negate his work. He's still a black man in America, period.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:

And in addition many overlook the Arabs and Muslims and their slave trades since from ancient times which is still going on today. They still call black people "abd" which means "slave". Its the Arabs and Muslims that are the real culprits, other than the African people themselves.

People overlook the role that Africans themselves have played in this situation and matter.

However, we have to consider that Africans were never one unified body or grouping of people. Europeans were enslaving other Europeans on the bases of serfdom and class and religion. Christian Europeans enslaved other Christian Europeans. Because it falls into the Eurocentric construct of "oh the Africans don't respect themselves doing harm to each other". We have to make sure we look at it from a fair manner and lens. The concept of blackness and Africanness are imposed constructs from outside of the very region and landless such factions were imposed upon, and further ensconced upon. So keep that in mind.
Thank you for addressing Arab and muslims huge role in slavery in both ancient and current times because they seem to have amnesia regarding subject.

I also agree with you on the social constructs of blackness and Africanness being one when that isn't the case simply due to different tribal ethnic groups and region. That is a habit I'm trying to break. It's evident in how so many Africans who weren't part of certain tribes were detached from a region or kingdom due to lack of tribal connection. For instance, I've been doing a trace on my genetic background for different parts of western African and learning more about the history of the region during pre and post Colonial era, and find what I've learned so far about different kingdoms amazing. Currently, there seems to be and undercurrent of disconnect between Black Americans descendants from slavery in the Americas and west Africans.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
It will have to wash off eventually.
I'm a caribbean and I'm of course aware of the role of the west-african coastal kingdoms in this historical tragedy. It's important that everyone involved acknowledge their role, but we must move on eventually.
Those groups participating in such a massive crime against humanity regarding slavery will never wash off, nor will they prosper no matter how hard they try to build their wealth back up. When those nations stop being passive/aggressive about their role in the slave trade, cease with passing the buck, start filling in the histories of different ethnic groups sold into slavery, then I, as a descendant of the enslaved Africans sold into the slave trade will decide if those nations have done enough for me to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa