Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Nairobi (Kenya's capital) is located 800 km by air from the Congolese border.
If one can't visit a place anymore that's located 800 km by air from a dangerous country then you can cross off half of Latin America and Asia.

I would worry more about Kenya sharing a 700 km long land border with Somalia.
The Kenya-Somali border is essentially a huge inhospitable no-mans-land, nearly impossible to get across. There used to be a couple or roads connecting the two countries, but I doubt if they are passable nowadays.

As for Kenya-Congo they don't even border on each other. Uganda is in between, and nobody from Congo is going to cross Uganda to get to Kenya to pick on a girl from an NGO.

Kenya is not the safest country in the world, but aside from a few neighborhoods in Nairobi after dark, is it pretty safe and civilized enough that one will encounter no problems moving about, even alone.

Africa is not just a jungle with gangs of thugs roaming around killing and raping everyone they encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM

63 posts, read 90,735 times
I dont know what you want to do by visiting Africa but if just for adventure purpose may be those mentioned countries are better, but mind you a peaceful country today can be extremely violent in the next five years. African are friendly, in some places they will treat u with respect and in some what u wear does not matter to them they are use to it. Good luck

Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM

38 posts, read 62,518 times
Jtur88 has good advice, generally everyone does, but someone above said they wouldn't travel to Zimbabwe??? I disagree with this because I was born here in 1972, and have not had any problems personally with safety and that's because I am aware at all times of my surroundings, much more than most, if you don't put yourself in situations that might offer an opportunity to be taken advantage of. Zimbabwe is safe, unless you are coming to Zimbabwe to buy and live on a farm, then depending on your situation you could be left alone or be the subject to a farm invasion. We don't hear much of this happening any more, but assume it is still going on as the more you travel out into the farming areas the less the law actually does.

I have a wife and daughter who both go shopping on their own sometimes and we have not had any problems as such, but again we are all martial artists and are always aware of our surroundings. No situation is always entirely safe irrespective of where you are, who you are with. Never trust people you don't really know well, have a safe traveling schedule, always book accommodation in safe areas and be aware at all times, and lastly in Africa do not travel at night. We have lived here for 40 years and night driving is dangerous, more so because drivers in Zimbabwe are not as competent as drivers from Europe. Avoid public transport at all costs.

South Africa, is very dangerous, but if you are wise and hire a car and travel in groups during the day only you might find that interesting.
Mozambique has some nice beaches, but also dangerous to be by yourself, always stay in a group.
I would avoid DRC, Uganda, Nigeria,

Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
I spent some time in Bamako, Mali in 2012. There is NO crime in this city, I can guarantee that. I used to hang out all night; walk the streets, etc with no problems. This is a large city of 2 million+ people.

Its a different mentality in Bamako than US cities. A reason there is so much crime in the US is because people feel bad for being poor here. If you are poor in the US, you are seen as being an inferior person by society; thus, money matters to people over here, and they are willing to commit various crimes so they can come up. Thats why there is drug dealing, street prostitution, burglary, robbery, etc. over here in abundance.

But in Bamako, if you are poor, you are just poor. Its nothing to feel bad about. Sure Malians would like to have money, but they are not going to burglarize a house or rob and kill a foreigner to come up. Its not that serious. The wide majority of people dont even own guns to commit crimes.

The US has a "get money"mentality, or as they say in the mob movies " F U, Pay me!"

Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM

n/a posts
as an African...may advice would be to pay attention to time. avoid the election seasons...because that's when it can get really bad.

but in between elections...you're usually fine.

also, avoid countries that have had the same leader for the last 20+ years. that's a coup waiting to happen, and if the guy dies...you probably don't want to be around.

for example...Uganda is "safe"...but not really. Museveni will die eventually, and when he does, he leaves behind a huge power vacuum. Same with Equatorial Guinea or Cameroon or Angola. You probably don't want to be there when their leader passes. nothing might happen, or nothing might not happen. it's just too risky, imo. Zimbabwe goes without saying.

but, Africa is pretty tolerant to tourism as a whole, i'd say. many countries depend on it significantly.

Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2014 at 05:18 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,638 times
Smile Harare, Zimbabwe

I was born in Zimbabwe 58 years ago and am a white female. I have travelled to many other countries, especially my "mother" country England, and would not change my life for anything.

The weather in Harare can't be beaten by many other cities. With an altitude of 5000ft above sea level the climate is mostly warm and wet in summer (temps between 24 and 34 deg c.) and cool and dry in winter (temps 16 to 24 during the day). Neither heating or cooling is required. the very long dry season makes it perfect for all outdoor sports. The local indigenous people are very friendly and have a high standard of education compared to other African countries. Largely Christian, other faiths are completely accepted, and the Muslim community for example are well respected for their good business sense and charity.
Even after living through many years of political uncertainty, I and my family have decided we would not want to live anywhere else. There are many whites and Asians here who have been here for generations and are Zimbabwean citizens with no possibility of getting any other citizenship.

We often have visitors who come here full of apprehension, but are stunned at how easy and healthy it is to live or visit here. The people are however generally quite conservative, so although young people would probably be quite safe on their own, it is better to travel with at least one other person.

As for the person who wrote that one should not travel to Zimbawe in election season, that is quite untrue. The violence which has happened in the past, and which was particualrly bad in 2008 was wholly amongst people who were involved in the electioneering or were trying to stand for office. Innocent holiday makers or those who have no voting rights have never been harmed.

This really is a safe country for tourists and there are good medical facilities as well.

We Zimbabweans love not having too many tourists to spoil the peace, but we do need them for the money they bring in and the jobs they provide.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,683 times
I have been to Ghana and have family there and i promise you that it is one of the safest most fun and amazing places i haave ever been to. You should definately go their

Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 AM

153 posts, read 150,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I spent some time in Bamako, Mali in 2012. There is NO crime in this city, I can guarantee that. I used to hang out all night; walk the streets, etc with no problems. This is a large city of 2 million+ people.

Its a different mentality in Bamako than US cities. A reason there is so much crime in the US is because people feel bad for being poor here. If you are poor in the US, you are seen as being an inferior person by society; thus, money matters to people over here, and they are willing to commit various crimes so they can come up. Thats why there is drug dealing, street prostitution, burglary, robbery, etc. over here in abundance.

But in Bamako, if you are poor, you are just poor. Its nothing to feel bad about. Sure Malians would like to have money, but they are not going to burglarize a house or rob and kill a foreigner to come up. Its not that serious. The wide majority of people dont even own guns to commit crimes.

The US has a "get money"mentality, or as they say in the mob movies " F U, Pay me!"
Thankyou for a good summary, of what is wrong with thinking lots of money gives you value,or safety.

It is time very rich people woke up and realised how boring and anti -social they are . And above all

you cannot take it with you .

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

277 posts, read 381,074 times
Well I guess I'll contribute my usual 2c on South Africa

It's really not as dangerous as people make it out to be. What it always comes down to is common sense and a little vigilance and you'll be just fine.

Understanding what makes you an easy target helps you to easily avoid most of the crime. What it also comes down to is that most of the crime sits in the major cities and the townships and you're reasonably safe in the better suburbs.

In terms of a single lady visiting, I would say be careful when it comes to driving alone late at night. It's acceptable here that after 10pm, women driving on their own don't really stop at robots and stop streets. As guys we normally start ignoring them past 12am. I'd strongly advise using the public transport as a few others have mentioned.

It'd also be a good idea to research which areas to avoid unless you're in a group. These will be different in each province but like in Johannesburg Soweto is a popular tourist attraction township but it really isn't safe at night. Places like Hilbrow and Jhb CBD I'll actively avoid whenever I can because I don't feel safe there.

In terms of being foreign you won't be looked at any differently here. We're a nation of many cultures and tourists are welcomed if you come in with the right attitude It'd only play against you in that you'd look outta place and might look like an easier "target" for crime... But like I explained above. It's all about being vigilant and having common sense.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Great read .... and I'm glad there was only one really racist sociopath on the tread so far.

I would add Ethiopia to Botswana, Tanzania and Ghana.
I've heard good things about Namimbia and Angola too.

But sometimes the most popular destinations within a country aren't the best.
When thinking of Ethiopia, most of us automatically think of Addis Ababa ... but even most Ethiopians feel it's too crowded and prefer Hasawa (also known as, "Asawa") and Bahir Dar.

I'm looking for cities that have large universities and are more attractive.
The larger universities attract international students, teachers, and tourists.

(Good coffee shops and lots of good conversations!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa