Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

Hell yeah they are Hispanic, if their first language is Spanish then they are Hispanic. The thought of Hispanic to be a race is an American thing. When most Americans think of "Hispanic" they're actually thinking of Latinos, people from Latin America. Equatorial Guinea is as far away from Latino as you could possibly get, but they are Hispanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:38 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes the mulatto elites. But go into the villages and show them pictures of Spain and Nigeria and ask them which they can more readily identify with.

Why do you talk if you don't have the foggiest idea of what I'm talking about?

Being brown confers you the right to connect to some deity that informs you about anything related to blacks?

Last edited by karstic; 05-22-2017 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?

Hispanic is an absurd American classification.
But according to Spain, they are.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hispanic is a self-declared category created by the US Census Bureau. Any person can claim to be Hispanic, which is defined as having a cultural or ethnic relationship to the people of Spain. If a person from Equatorial Guinea made this claim in the USA, it would likely not be challenged.

"In the eyes of the US Census Bureau, Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity, or any country of origin," -- Wikipedia

He is a black person of African ancestry who grew up in a Spanish speaking country. How does that make him different from a black Panamanian, whose only claim to distinction is that his ancestors from Guinea spent a couple of generations in the Caribbean and Central America?

They speak Castilian Spanish, though.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As joelaldo mentioned, the Filipinos are still more Hispanic for the reasons mentioned. Even though they may not speak Spanish anymore, Tagalog has a hell of a lot of Spanish words in it these days and the majority of Filipinos have Spanish names.

Well, some rich people do...and they have a Spanish dialect spoken by millions, chavacano. Aamericans tried to remove spanish, but the language was important until Japanese killed Spanish in Manila...and they were supposed to be allies.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think the term Latino is reserved for Latin Americans.

If it was up to me, I would make an exception for them and include them into the Latin American sphere of influence. They are kind of alone in Africa when it comes to this. I personally think that, at the very least, the Spanish-speaking Caribbean should make an effort to connect with the Equatorial Guineans on a cultural, economic, and other types of basis. I'm willing to bet that Equatorial Guineans would probably (or probably do) like much of what comes out of these countries due to the heavy Spanish and African influences there such as in the music, food, art, etc.

No, they are not. Until recently, Spain had colonies in Africa, El Aiun, Sidi-Ifni and assorted territories invaded by Morocco but whose inhabitants speak Spanish. Equatorial Guineans don't have problems relating with Angola and Portuguese colonies. The only country in America related with Africa is Cuba due to the Internationalistic Wars promoted by the URRS.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Don't you think they should at least be able to identify themselves as Afro-Latino at the very least?
Not at all, very serious people, cirscumpect.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
How come white Americans, African Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans, Brits, Irish, Nigerians, despite being all English native speakers such aren't called "Anglos"?

Because they are tribal, and the Roman world believes in civilization.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I agree with the similarities. I can see how similar Filipinos and Mexicans are even just from watching Mexican novelas. My brother in law who is pure Mexican also thinks Filipinos and Mexicans are very similar, Probably has to do with Mexico's governance of the Philippines for 250 years. Philippines was colonised by Spain through the governance of Mexico so it is normal that these 2 countries shared many things with eachother for 250 years.

The annual Galleon from Manila to Acapulco during 250 years...

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I'm not making the claim that they are portuguese.

The fact remains that Portuguese is the native language of the majority of Angolans. Most do not speak any indigenous african languages.

And Mozambicans and Capeverdians.
In QAngola there are white Angolese, Portuguese background I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa