Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM

302 posts, read 868,603 times

Advertisements

There is a direct flight to Dulles from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
i have flown from NYC/JFK to Joberg/South Africa on South African Airways which has a refueling stop in Dakar (Senegal).

Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
There is a direct flight to Dulles from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
I know someone who flew from Luanda, Angola to Addis Abada on Ethiopian Airlines to Italy with a continuing flight to NYC.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I entered Houlston and Lagos in the text fieids. It automatically entered LOS in the destination field, then when I clicked GO it said destination not found and gave me a drop down menu to choose Los Angeles, Los Mochis, Los Alamos, Los Gatos . . . . . That was at Expedia. When I tried Travelocity, I entered Nigeria as destination, and it switched it to ABV for Abuja and game me flights, none of them nonstop.
Go to United Airlines Website. I just checked again, it is working. enter IAH for Houston and write LOS or Lagos. It is non stop flight.
In September I am getting non-stop flight and return between Houston and Lagos as 1447 Dollars which I think is okay deal.
UA 142 is the name/code of flight.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Build a raft and start paddling.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 AM

302 posts, read 868,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I know someone who flew from Luanda, Angola to Addis Abada on Ethiopian Airlines to Italy with a continuing flight to NYC.
We normally go via Europe. Most of the time I connect from Addis to Frankfurt then on to the US after a layover.

The direct flight won't work if the US Government is paying for the flight because the Fly America Act requires the foreign airline to have a US code-share. Ethiopian doesn't have one.

Plus, the direct flight is something like 14 hours with a fueling stop in Rome. I took it once and it was awful.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
We normally go via Europe. Most of the time I connect from Addis to Frankfurt then on to the US after a layover.

The direct flight won't work if the US Government is paying for the flight because the Fly America Act requires the foreign airline to have a US code-share. Ethiopian doesn't have one.

Plus, the direct flight is something like 14 hours with a fueling stop in Rome. I took it once and it was awful.
Well if a country has bilateral agreement then foreign airlines do not need US code share. See Air India. Air India flies into JFK, Newark, Chicago from Delhi and Bombay and Air India do not have any code share with US airlines. Similarly United, Delta fly to India and earlier American Airlines also had a direct flight.
If Ethiopian airlines is flying to USA, how is US government paying for the flight??? Passenger ticket is full of multiple tax and charges by US government already.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Go to United Airlines Website. I just checked again, it is working. enter IAH for Houston and write LOS or Lagos. It is non stop flight.
In September I am getting non-stop flight and return between Houston and Lagos as 1447 Dollars which I think is okay deal.
UA 142 is the name/code of flight.
That's fine if you already know that United has such a flight.

Try Expedia, see what you get. I did it again (IAH to LOS), the search field autofilled Lagos where I entered LOS, and I got:

Please help us with a little more information
We found more than one airport that matched 'LOS'. Please select an airport from the list below.
Going to:

Los Angeles, CA (QLA-All Airports)
Burbank, CA (BUR-Bob Hope)
Long Beach, CA (LGB-Long Beach Municipal)
Los Angeles, CA (LAX-Los Angeles Intl.)
Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico (LMM-Federal del Valle del Fuerte Intl.)
Monteria, Colombia (MTR-Los Garzones)
Ontario, CA (ONT-Ontario Intl.)
Orange County, CA (SNA-John Wayne)
San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico (SJD-Los Cabos Intl.)
Or
Enter a new location or use Airport lookup

=================

So then I tried IAH-ABV, same dates. Expedia autofilled Abuja for ABV, then:

Please help us with a little more information
We could not find any airports that match your search for 'ABV'. Please enter a new city name, airport name, or airport code.

I think sites like Expedia are a plot to obstruct any travelers from going to any destinations where Expedia does not get accommodation commissions. Even if they autofill it, they "can't find" it if they don't want you to go there, sorry, cancel your travel plans, and go to Baja, instead, where we send all the rest of the highly profitable sheep.

Wait a minute, you say, that's a bit extreme. So, I go back and search for IAH-LOS with hotel, and now all of a sudden theyre interested. Expedia has one hotel listed in Lagos, at $400 per night, and now they can find a flight!!!!!!!!! For $2,700 RT.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-29-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I check Expedia often for flights and this never happen to me before. They must experience some computer problems right now.

^^^ Is the above ticket price including hotel?
What is the time of travel?

Last edited by elnina; 07-29-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Well, if you are not too picky then you can have R/T for less than $1000
with one stop: (I didn't know your travel dates, so this is just a random search)

or

Attached Thumbnails
How do you travel between USA and Africa?-houston-lagos.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa