Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 PM

33 posts, read 185,677 times

Advertisements

Like in Europe, the Northern Europeans look pale and much lighter almost like vampires. While Southern Europeans are darker, almost as dark as Arabs and Hispanics.
Or in Asia, the Middle east has the olive colored curly haired Arabs, south Asia has the straight haired brownish red colored Hindus, the people in west/central Asia look like a blend of East asian and European. East Asians have almost white skin with chinky eyes, while southeast asians have the skin tone of south asians but features that resemble east asians.
But in Africa, other than North Africa which basically an extension of the Arab world, I cannot tell the difference between a East african and a west african, or a central african and a southern african. Other than their culture, what is the difference between sub sahara Africans, the physical difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,102,037 times
Yes, not sure how you can't see the variations. Who can't see the general differences between the Khoisan and the Dinka for example? Or the Yoruba and the Amhara?

Btw, Hindus are followers of Hinduism. Did you mean South Asians?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM

674 posts, read 695,841 times
Africa is the most ethnically diverse continent on the planet. It is also the most linguistically diverse. Black Africans can tell one another apart. You can not tell the difference between Africans frankly because you're not African. And I have news for you: to us you all look the same as well. In fact I still have a hard time explaining to my husband why Asians and whites are considered different races.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,858,085 times
Is this a joke?

Some variance in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Nama from Southern Africa

Girls from Madagascar

Mbuti pygmies from the Congo

Maasai

Fulani girl

Amhara men

It is true that a lot of Bantu groups (which populate most of southern Africa) look fairly similar, because they are descendants of a group of farmers which left an area around the Cameroon/Nigeria border around 3,000 years ago. But excepting them, there is a huge range of diversity in terms of physical appearance in Africa.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Every facial feature variation seen around the world can be seen in Africans and just about all of these are in subsaharan Africa. Some of the tallest and the shortest people are found in that region.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 PM

71 posts, read 224,083 times
I don't know much about most of the African nations, but East Africans tend to be slimmer than West Africans.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 PM

578 posts, read 956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
Like in Europe, the Northern Europeans look pale and much lighter almost like vampires. While Southern Europeans are darker, almost as dark as Arabs and Hispanics.
Or in Asia, the Middle east has the olive colored curly haired Arabs, south Asia has the straight haired brownish red colored Hindus, the people in west/central Asia look like a blend of East asian and European. East Asians have almost white skin with chinky eyes, while southeast asians have the skin tone of south asians but features that resemble east asians.
But in Africa, other than North Africa which basically an extension of the Arab world, I cannot tell the difference between a East african and a west african, or a central african and a southern african. Other than their culture, what is the difference between sub sahara Africans, the physical difference.
Africa is the most diverse INTRAPOPULATIONALLY!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:42 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,406,105 times
I think there are variations even within East Africans, same for West Africans, ect. It is indeed a very diverse continent. It's like asking what are the difference between Americans from the midwest and from the north. I think you find a mix of everything in every region so it's hard to say that x is a specific trait of region A or region B, as you might find x throughout the continent. I think the reason for that is usually the physical difference is due to the person's ethnic group and because of colonization and the way the continent is, you will find the same ethnic groups in different countries. For ex, one might say all Irish look alike, in the case of Africa, let's take the Fulanis, all fulanis will look alike or have certain common traits particular to this ethnic group, however you will find Fulanis in Senegal, Niger, Sudan, Egypt ect. and the same goes with other ethnic groups. So I guess instead of grouping by region, a better way to find the physical differences would be by ethnic group i-e what's the difference between Arab, Yorouba, Fulani, Berber,Hutu, Zulu, etc . Now, when you look at the dif. ethnic groups, there are clearly a lot of differences between them

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,652,723 times
The differences are so apparent that it's sometimes easy to know who is from where without ever having talked them.

Remember, Africa isn't divided by nations, it's divided by tribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa