Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

I should add, its rather unsettling that a adult would sit around making up weird lies, i mean whats the point?
Why not? The CIA Fact Book does:

Languages [Sierra Leone]:

English (official, regular use limited to literate minority),
Mende (principal vernacular in the south),
Temne (principal vernacular in the north),
Krio (English-based Creole, spoken by the descendants of freed Jamaican slaves who were settled in the Freetown area, a lingua franca and a first language for 10% of the population but understood by 95%)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sl.html

So, even though your parents were members of the privileged and educated aristocracy, there are many, many more people in Sierra Leone who understand Krio, than proper English. But then, one doesn't expect the aristocracy to present a very fair or accurate or unbiased view of the common people.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-10-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Krios in 2013 have NO POWER in Sierra Leone, they only make up 2% of the population; and yes they are marginalized. That is something Google may not explain to you.
They're not marginalized. They may not be in total power like they were before.

Besides the Lebanese run the economy in both countries.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Do you know the history of Liberia and Sierra Leone, I mean even on a superficial basis?
Not at all, im just making this stuff up as I go along. Plus my education was not as good as Jturr88. I went to school on the Shaka Zulu scholarship.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,314 times
EdwardA, i remember you said in one post your people were from Ghana.

Unlike jturr88 i can halfway believe you, cause all the people from Ghana IN AMERICA I know think the white man and his civilization are divinely manifested. And they think black Americans are some of the laziest and shiftless people on the planet. Those Christian missionaries did a swell job at indoctrinating the Akan peoples. Unless your a Dagomba muslim and your people are from the north of the country.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why not? The CIA Fact Book does:

Languages [Sierra Leone]:

English (official, regular use limited to literate minority),
Mende (principal vernacular in the south),
Temne (principal vernacular in the north),
Krio (English-based Creole, spoken by the descendants of freed Jamaican slaves who were settled in the Freetown area, a lingua franca and a first language for 10% of the population but understood by 95%)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sl.html

So, even though your parents were members of the privileged and educated aristocracy, there are many, many more people in Sierra Leone who understand Krio, than proper English. But then, one doesn't expect the aristocracy to present a very fair or accurate or unbiased view of the common people.
I have no idea what your on about.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post

Unlike jturr88 i can halfway believe you, cause all the people from Ghana IN AMERICA I know think the white man and his civilization are divinely manifested. And they think black Americans are some of the laziest and shiftless people on the planet. Those Christian missionaries did a swell job at indoctrinating the Akan peoples. Unless your a Dagomba muslim and your people are from the north of the country.
Don't you defame our Ghanaian brothers, like that. I know to many, especially Akans who know better than to believe something so ridiculous. You have to remember too though, up until recently, many W. African children were not being taught African history in schools, only European history. Africans on the continent suffer from the same things those of the diaspora suffer from, unfortunately. But there are those who are awake.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They're not marginalized. They may not be in total power like they were before.

Besides the Lebanese run the economy in both countries.
Krio's are not marginalized LOL, right. Boy Google can be dangerous in the hands of foolish people.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
I have no idea what your on about.
We all already knew that, right from you're first post..

Old 09-11-2013, 11:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It's amazing how people with no roots will latch on to whatever they can for some sense of legitimacy, but this a bold-faced lie.

Nubians were slave to the decidedly non-black Egyptians, and half-assedly stole what little culture they possessed from the Egyptians (see the laughable Nubian "pyramids" for example; essentially vaguely conical piles of rocks).

Most of these busts (like above) depict decidedly un-black features, such as longer noses and thin lips.
Bold, highlighted, and the underlined my emphasis.

When it comes to the history of humanity I find the term "stolen" and "stole" to be terms motivated from emotions and prejudices revolving around race, ethnicity, nationality and so on.

It seems to me peoples all over the world have learned from their neighbors or guests or those that became guests to, in one fashion or another. I would even say peoples that were enslaved have passed on things that they knew, or aspects of their native culture, to the people and culture that enslaved them, and reverse being true as well.

My only point here is that I don't find the use of the term "stolen" historically accurate as to the way information flowed and knowledge was acquired from one people to the next centuries ago, rolling back all the way to time immemorial.

The term "stole" or "stolen" may have more historical accuracy for more modern times, since whenever patent laws and trade secrets where established in the legal sense. Corporate espionage and whatnot. The Chinese today are accused of stealing a lot of legally protected intellectual knowledge from U.S. corporations. I'm sure U.S. corporations do the same to some of their greater competitors.

In the past "trade secrets" were probably just handed down through families or through trade guilds or trade organizations. Before modern forms of capitalism.

And... you can learn trade skills just being employed at a company--or employed as a slave building structures or tools. Learning those skill sets while laboring is hardly "stealing."

Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post

Actually it's quite the opposite. Ghanaians, in particular the Ashanti, dealt with the White man on our own terms. We held British encroachment at bay for 100 years only to be overcome because of the assistance of our African enemies. So much for that Black unity,eh?

Strong people don't have to make up falsehoods. As for thinking African Americans are shiftless we are just going by what we see. Whites have little to do with that observation. I know it is hard to believe but most people can form opinions independent of Whites, you guys should try it.

I've always said African-Americans have an unhealthy obsession with Whites. It's bizarre frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa