Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times

Advertisements

I think that Africans are big on manners and public behavior and seeing that in may quarters of American society, manners and public behavior has declined, well loud,ignorant public behavior does not bode well with them. Also this is enforced by
classism and coming from traditional cultures with strong social stratification and gender rules which fosters the mentality such as "men don't do this" "women do that" " a chief behaves this way not that.

Traditional Nigerian royalty introduced itself to me on several social occasions said: " I am so and so" , "I am CHIEF so and so" So I bowed in respect for his title. When this same person met my Mom and Aunt "HE BOWED almost all the way to the
ground. Africans are classist and socially conservative also. Contrast the above with loud, ghetto or trailer people screaming
and cussing at their kids in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Where do these quiet Africans live? The ones I know are just as if not more loud than AAs. And these are the "upper class" Africans who reside in America. LOL...I can't believe you said that. Perhaps they're well-behaved in the company of white people. Respectability politics.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Where do these quiet Africans live? The ones I know are just as if not more loud than AAs. And these are the "upper class" Africans who reside in America. LOL...I can't believe you said that. Perhaps they're well-behaved in the company of white people. Respectability politics.
I never said they were necessarily quiet...Nigerians have a reputation of being loud and aggressive and speaking their mind...even among other Africans..when you get into "national character" Sierra Leone and
Ghana have the reputations of being very friendly people.

Just because someone is loud, does not mean they are hostile and angry. It is the angry and hostile attitude
that turns people off. As far as well-behaved in front of white people, they are not thinking about white people ( I think you might assume I am white, I am AA).

You cannot generalize a whole group of people as being quiet or loud, you have quiet and loud people in all classes and nationalities. Some cultures are loud and expressive, some cultures hold in their feelings.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:48 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Just because someone is loud, does not mean they are hostile and angry. It is the angry and hostile attitude that turns people off. As far as well-behaved in front of white people, they are not thinking about white people ( I think you might assume I am white, I am AA).

I am not assuming you are white. I am assuming you are African based on the biases you display when describing AA behavior and African behavior, plus your screen name. All Africans I've known were loud and expressive...like many native born black Americans. You did not mention "hostile" in your first post. You just said loud...and African immigrants fit that bill in my experience. You are now inserting "hostile" because you were trying to show how native born blacks are more uncouth than Africans.

Quote:
You cannot generalize a whole group of people as being quiet or loud, you have quiet and loud people in all classes and nationalities.
...but that's exactly what you tried to do when you mentioned "ghetto" and cussing children out in public (which African parents do, BTW). People don't usually think of Africans as "ghetto". You were clearly drawing lines. Don't try to backtrack.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
You suspect incorrectly as usual :-). Here is my meaningful contribution: in a semi-autobiographical docu-novel "Open City" by young, very interesting writer Teju Cole (who is of Nigerian ancestry), ).
Some of us have opinions based on our REAL and DIRECT interactions with a whole host of people. As an example. My barber is a Muslim from the Ivory Coast. His shop is located on 116th St in Harlem within the Francophone Muslim African community, mainly from Senegal. Other barbers include Haitians and black Americans and one Dominican.

I can observe the dynamics within that store. You read one book and now you are an expert. How do you know that the author doesn't have an agenda, writing a novel best suited to a particular target market? And despite this I will not suggest that these represent the totality of the pan African experience in NYC as these are barbers and most of the clientele aren't educated people.

Now I can say that all people from the Balkans are backward, violent, primitive, racist and narrow minded because surely there are people who live in the Bronx, with those origins, who clearly are. How would you react to this? Does it make sense to reduce a complex block of people to such a narrative? Can I credibly discuss how a Macedonian behaves when he encounters a Slovene, both from the former Yugoslavia.

Yet you quite happily stereotype black Americans within a narrow box. If you live in NYC and your experience with black Americans is only of the less educated ones then why do you think that you can speak of them?

There are some sites that I lurk on and say nothing because I don't know enough to have an opinion which adds to the discussion. The Balkans being an example, though I have been to Macedonia.

It doesn't appear as if you know enough about either Africans , or black Americans, or for that matter Caribbean blacks, who account for at least 1/3 of NYC blacks. So you cannot discuss the complexities of how they view each other.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
What is wrong with looking from the outside al.
the first thing that you should do is listen, observe and learn.

You however have decided that you are an expert on blacks because you read ONE book written by ONE Nigerian who had her own motivations for what she wrote.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that they often have an easier time getting loans than black Americans, and they have networks back home that they can source money from. .
This part is total nonsense. In fact black Americans face LESS racism than do Africans, or even Caribbean blacks, when one adjusts for personal characteristics like education/skills, ambition and drive. The difference is that immigrants are usually more risk oriented and driven.

Nigerians in fact arrive with college degrees, with a 1/3 even having advanced degrees. In fact their profile fits that of the Indian immigrant, even more than it does even a native white American. Yet they do much worse!

An example is a black American from Chicago who decides to migrate to ATL without knowing anyone there. That person will be different from his peers that he left behind in Chicago who would wallow in what ever is there rather than trying something different. Chances are he will also be more educated and/or have a higher level of skills and social capital.

Immigrants (international AND domestic) possess certain characteristics that help them break barriers. At least in their early years of migration.

Please don't convince yourself that someone from the University of Lagos will be viewed as seriously as someone who went to NYU, or even Baruch. So they would find HARDER time getting any concessions from the white dominated mainstream. And if they had funding sources in Nigeria why would they migrate to the USA where they will be discriminated against as blacks, as immigrants and ESPECIALLY as Africans!

A Nigerian with an educational profile of the average black American (high school only) would do WORSE! They would be forced to live in some underground economy and it is only their drive to succeed that would keep them from failing.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I have started financially with LESS, much less than an average person on welfare gets in the US. ls.
OK so its established that you hate blacks, especially American blacks, and think that the USA is an uncivilized place. What does that have to do with Africans interacting with black Americans though.

Please go to the European threads where you can rant about how lazy and prone to crime blacks are. I think that you will find a good audience over there as they have to contend with hordes of uneducated Africans swarming into their lily white nations.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
That's great. Now have you calculated how much of your taxpayer dollars are allocated to DOD? .
72% of the Federal gov't goes in Medicare, Social Security, Defense and Debt service. Why racists like these scream daily about welfare is baffling. She really needs to look at the social support systems of most of Europe, but she isnt because her agenda is to paint blacks as being lazy and crime prone and to boast that he poor impoverished self has done so well. Yes even with her rich mummy!

Old 08-06-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
City Data Forum: personal insults from people who have no valid counter-arguments in discussion :-).
).
It also says not to be a troll. Go to Europe and comfort them that they are right to be terrified that "marauding blacks" from Africa are about to invade their countries and they will soon be riddled with crime as you claim that Parkchester is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa