Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 01:31 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,039,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Of course we didn't fight for immigration. We're not immigrants. Do you check dates??? The immigration laws were updated in conjunction with the civil rights legislation under the guise of fairness for all, when they really just wanted to legally bar AAs from reaping the benefits of the legislation...like they always do. You don't know the history of this country or the legal games it plays to keep us from prospering.
Your claims have been that your people (not you) had fought and died so that immigrants can be in the USA that is not the case. Your people and my people fought for civil rights. There are many instances where black immigrants were not allowed in the US stop claiming that I don't know US history. Which Civil Rights Acts are you pointing to, not the one in 1865. Civil Rights in the US along with immigration laws has always been modified and no, one doesn't go with the other you are stating this to fit your argument. Many referendums or laws happen at the same time in part due to timing of elections, legislation, executive orders. Black immigrants were in the US prior to slavery. If you read anything that I posted about the matter it would point to and reaffirm my points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Tariq is an opportunist of the purest kind. He goes wherever the trend goes. Years ago this dude was traveling to Africa and telling his audience to get their passports and go visit the continent. Fast forward and now it’s ADOS but wait a min, they’ve been co opted so let me start FBA. Lmaooo Tariq is about his brand before anything else. He knows his audience therefore he feeds them this bs. Dude had no problem bigging up Africa in his Hidden Color series. Had no problem doing a documentary on Haiti and traveling to Haiti. Now it’s us against them.

I even remember when Tariq was “debating” with this White Separatist(can’t remember his name) and the Separatist brought up a point about why are Asian and Nigerians on average doing better academically than Black and White Americans? The Separatist was bringing up this point to try to prove that America is not against Black ppl(which btw he’s clearly wrong). But Tariq’s response was clumsy as hell. He said the reason Nigerians are academically better is because they only allow sell outs and agents from Nigeria into the country. Said America hand picks these Nigerians. Said he saw it with his own eyes. Even the White racist had to laugh at him.

As far as Yvette and Tone, the problem with them is their actually Anti Black. Yvette is or was a board member of Progressive for Immigration Reform. That’s a anti immigrant organization funded by a White Nationalist by the name of John Tanton. Yvette is really a fan of White politicians who seem anti traditionalist establishment. Hence why she is secretly a fan of Trump. Apart of it is to spite Black ppls marriage to the Democratic Party but make no mistake, she’s a Trump fan. She also has a White partner so so much for Black Americans first. Tone hates Africans. He hates Caribbean and he really has a disdain for Black ppl in general. But he knows he’s Black and can never be considered White. So because of his disdain but knowing he can’t be accepted, he wants to make it work here in America for himself. He could careless about the people. Same with Yvette.

Agree!
Thanks for these points, I will have to look into this as I've only recently came across these people. It sheds a lot of light as to why they hold the views and agendas as it just didn't make sense to me initially.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:20 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Your claims have been that your people (not you) had fought and died so that immigrants can be in the USA that is not the case.
That is not what I said. That's your intentional misinterpretation in order to win a point. I swear people on CD have this down to a science.

We are not going to agree and I'm tired of talking in circles. You can try to attach Caribbean Americans to the struggle of native born, but the fact remains those are people who realized America doesn't care that you're from the Caribbean or Africa. All they see is your color. A [derogatory word] is a [derogatory word], and the smart ones realize this early. You will not try to hijack our struggle simply because a handful of people throughout history joined the fight. Your people's participation and sacrifice were not equal to ours with one important distinction: they could always go home. We can't, because We ARE home.

Have a nice holiday.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,476,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
In Seattle, the groups are mostly segregated. Since the original question is old, the true colors of animosity towards African Americans by Africans have been exposed. Thankfully, more and more African Americans are letting go of one-sided pan Africanism, and solely focusing on their self-interests. My interactions have more neutral, leaning to less than positive.

In fact most African Americans were NEVER into Pan Africanism. Most have always had difficulties in comprehending blacks from elsewhere in the Diaspora. Most cannot see beyond their own issues based on life in the USA. And that is fine as people will always act out of self interest.

The noisy minority of intellectual AAs who peddle the Pan Africanist myth need to stop. Bring an AA from a city like St. Louis (monolithically AA and mostly Southern derived) to places like NYC and the tremendous variety and perspectives of its ethnically diverse black populations confuse. They understand beng a St. Louis black. Being a NYC black they don't comprehend. And they haven't even journeyed to Lagos yet!!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not a pipe dream if someone wants to do it, they can do it.

A couple of years ago Ghana had 5,000 people to do it.

Sierra Leone has had some do it too.

Yes, African Americans can leave the US if they WANT to.

So you too should ask yourself why this is so upsetting to you. What do you care about someone wanting to move anywhere?

Me, I'm happy for them since they are doing what they want to do.

and of course 35 million blacks living in the USA are at least partially descendants of American slavery so those numbers that you cite aren't really that significant. It wouldn't shock me if more live in Europe, as you do.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Another thing, if you aren't African American, your input on what reparations covers, and it's the monetary amount in the form of other resources is a non-factor. CARICOM didn't ask African Americans for their input on reparations, therefore African Americans don't need Caribbeans' input on reparations since there is a plan in place covering more than slavery. The only people's input that matters on the topic of reparations are African Americans. That means not afro Latinos, afro Mexicans, afro Brazilians, European Africans, Africans, etc. We are not children needed your guidance. Stay in your lanes and stay out of our business when it comes to reparations. Unlike many of you, we know our history and how to proceed with our own agenda. Allyship is one thing, but lending your unwarranted input is another.

I wouldn't be so sure that there was no dialogue between CARICOM and the Congressional Black Caucus. they do dialogue quite a bit if you don't know this.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Try Liberia.

Liberia was the one African country established for the purpose of post-emancipated African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans to resettle on the continent. To this day, I believe it has the largest number of people in Africa of "American heritage", considered to be an ethnic group known as Americo-Liberian- estimated at 45,000. Concerning modern day AAs obtaining citizenship there, since 1986, they have what is called a "Negro clause", meaning only people of "Negro descent"-those who are black- are allowed to obtain citizenship by birth, ancestry, or naturalization. The one potential downside to this is they have banned dual citizenship. Sierra Leone has a similar "Negro clause" law as well. It also has a minority population (about 40,000) that are the descendants of freed AAs/Caribbeans.

That Americo Liberian experiment didn't end too well. In fact it was almost a South Africa except that it was the Americo Liberians who were the overlords. That was the underlying factor that caused the initial disturbance in the early 1980s. I went there just before this and noted who the elites were.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? where did i use the word hate?
this is my comment"

Nigerians in the US do not like to be associated with american blacks =. i have seen this first hand.
the call them AKATA = wild animal or stray Dog. this come because of the impression Nigerians have of american black youth being unrully and disrespectful.

Lost of Africans and in the specific case of Nigerians do express certain apprehension about being seen as African american, why? because they are not African american they are Africans. and they dont what to be seen as anything else.

also Nigerians are very successful immigrants with a strong education and working culture that some of them infer will be eroded by association if they let themselves be "bundle up " with AA's.

there is plenty of evidence of this.

a similar feeling comes from AAS to Africans too, just wait until ADOS shows up in this chat. lol

Most Nigerians who migrate to the USA are highly educated people. Of course they have little respect for that segment of the AA population who don't do that well. Just like the wealthy South Americans who come to NYC and who look down on Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

In both instances however such disdain doesn't extend to the more educated people of those communities. In fact one of the founders of BLM is a Nigerian American female. I bet you didn't know that!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Many black immigrants have joined are fighting alongside African Americans and I've and other posters have given many examples of this that you choose to diminish or ignore. .

This is a fact that the ADOS crowd ignore. They really need to learn about the history of black NYC and when they do they will see that it is paved with the energies of many black immigrants and their kids.

Arturo Schomburg, a Puerto Rican of Virgin Island ancestry (mother from St. Croix). Given that there is a large library in Harlem named after him I need not say more. Go to the black sections of many US cities and the name Marcus Garvey is there. Why? People like Harry Belafonte and Sydney Poitier were very involved in the Civil Rights movement. Many black "firsts" in NYC were people of Caribbean descent. Baker-Motley, and Shirley Chisholm being well known figures.

Yes I believe that the "we are all one" is nonsense, but at the same time to negate the roles that black immigrants played in black American liberation and the roles that AAs played in African independence is inaccurate and I am glad that you are pointing this fact out. It was the Black Congressional Caucus which backed Reagan into a corner and forced him to begin to pressure the South African regime during apartheid. Dubois was one of the pivotal figures in beginning the dialogue which ultimately resulted in African independence. CLR James and other Caribbean people were also pivotal.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That is not what I said. That's your intentional misinterpretation in order to win a point. I swear people on CD have this down to a science.

We are not going to agree and I'm tired of talking in circles. You can try to attach Caribbean Americans to the struggle of native born, but the fact remains those are people who realized America doesn't care that you're from the Caribbean or Africa. All they see is your color. A [derogatory word] is a [derogatory word], and the smart ones realize this early. You will not try to hijack our struggle simply because a handful of people throughout history joined the fight. Your people's participation and sacrifice were not equal to ours with one important distinction: they could always go home. We can't, because We ARE home.

Have a nice holiday.
No one is hijacking your struggle or diminishing it nor am I intentionally misrepresenting your points only calling it how I see it (am reading it). African Americans always had a choice to go home right after slavery and during slavery there were also opportunities to get out of it as well depending on certain factors but many people chose to stay in the states. As of right now AAs can go wherever they choose to go in this world and are doing so. Many black immigrants stayed right along with African Americans mainly because what they had obtained and built and because of the family structure they had with African Americans just like the African American and they too also bought into the American Dream and at some point they'd be accepted. However, have to agree with Kanye in that slavery in modern day terms is a mindset (am paraphrasing of course but that is what he meant).

I'm not judging African Americans for staying in the US as I've seen over the years just how bad Africa has been portrayed.

Whether one group likes the other there is just too much going on that requires far more focus.

It would be nice if a thread was started about the African Holidays. Holidays like New Years is in September in Ethiopia and Christmas is January (no one is giving a bunch of gifts under the tree either). Every nation have their traditions. It would interesting to know how many African Americans are celebrating Kwanzaa.

Anyways I sincerely am wishing you the best during the holidays and in the New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa