Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,462,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not only does it exist in Africa, but on other continents in some form, including here in the US. Modern Slavery 101

Anti-Slavery - What is modern slavery

What you have in parts of the Sahel region of Africa is chattel slavery, which the authorities turn a blind eye to.

What we have in the USA is human trafficking with people being imprisoned. If they can get to the authorities they are free to go.

Not to condone either but chattel slavery still exists where people can be bought and sold, and can walk openly on the streets, but are trapped in their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM

315 posts, read 380,729 times
Thumbs up Fantastic post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I live in the US Southwest where there are a lot of Latinos, so this statement intrigued me (There is a hell of a lot of negative stereotyping of Latinos here). What I see is a lot of dumping on African Americans in this forum; an almost casual acceptance by some that all African Americans share the negative values described in stereotypes. There is also, by some, a concomitant and uncritical elevation of Whites, Asians and Africans to some very unrealistic and lofty heights.

To be blunt, there is a lot of ignorance being expressed by immigrants about African Americans; and seemingly little knowledge of their history.

Compared to Latinos, African Americans actually have a much higher secondary school graduation rate.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16

Not to derail this thread, but to illustrate how complicated societal factors can be and how people have to be careful about stereotyping, it’s also interesting that Latinos now surpass Whites in college enrollment rates:
Analysis: 2012 Higher Education Enrollment Rate of Latino High School Graduates Surpassed That of Whites - Higher Education

Latinos, Blacks and Asians, in general, are currently more optimistic about the value of a college education, than are Whites:
Why Minorities Are More Optimistic About the Value of College - NationalJournal.com

To not consider this data and just looking at the low Latino high school graduation rates, one could just as easily say that Latinos don’t value education.

Likewise, comparing the behaviors of a preselected group of immigrants (Africans) who, with much assistance, have already climbed some hurdles, to the entirety of African Americans, is silly. They benefit from the Post-Civil rights era, as do all minorities.

Besides, does anyone really think that most Africans in Africa are all the same; or are all well-educated?

Anyone heard of AIDS in Africa? Is there no violence in Africa? How about child and other soldiers; and what of their murderous acts and rapes of women and children? Ever heard of African truckers who frequent prostitutes and spread AIDS when they return back home? What about the rapes of innocent babies and young girls in South Africa by men who think they can cure their AIDS affliction that way? What about the killings of albinos due to silly superstitions? What about the genital mutilations of young girls? How about African street thugs who prey on the innocent in large African cities?

Would anyone with any intellectual honesty compare the behaviors and educational attainments of African American visitors to Africa, to those of the indigenous populations? Of course not. They are middle to upper income and well-educated. There is also probably little to zero percent chance they, as compared to an “average” African in say, Nairobi or Johannesburg, would commit any sort of street crime. On a personal note, I have a friend, an African American doctor, who actually travels to Africa to help Africans with their health care and tries to improve conditions there. I have also read of other African Americans who are doing similar things.

See how that works?

Just one more thing, to the African guy who complains that American Blacks are the only ones to ask him silly questions. Ever think about the fact that they at least ask, but most everyone else just assumes the negative about Africans?

Do you really think they, African Americans, are the ones who made and exported Tarzan movies????
Thank you for the post!!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do any of you live in places where the two meet? If so what have their interactions been like?
There has been tension between the 2 in the Bronx years back. Don't know how it is today. Those were mainly west Africans. The Egyptians just keep to themselves and the Arabic community.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,271,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
I lived in LA and Seattle. Both have AA and Africans living near each other. Somalians and Ethiopians mainly. Heres my take and whats weird is that the issues were identical in both places with the shared communities:

Africans who were raised in Africa dont act, talk and in many ways look like African Americans. The dating between the 2 groups was very rare. In fact I saw more White women with African Americans than I did Africans with AA.

Africans ( Ethiopians mainly) tend to place a high value on education. They are somewhat clannish and have their own clubs,bars,soccer teams and restaurants in Seattle and LA. AA are rarely present at any of those establishments.

When I was in college the after school study was packed with so many Africans you would think you were in Africa. Yet despite much smaller numbers, they soundly had much larger numbers in college than AA did.

These are all first hand obs. so granted I cant say thats exactly how it is. But heres what I saw, Africans have an immigrant attitude and seem very grateful for living in this country. They dont harbor the animosity AA have against the government, whites, society and other minorities. They also place alot of emphasis on family and culture, whereas AA culture and marriage is nearly disintegrated.

On a personal note: Im latino, I once had a AA walk up behind me at a store run by Ethiopians and he told me how MUCH HE HATED THESE AFRICAN MOFOs. Now I cant say that the cultures hate each other but they definetly dont interact much at least in dating and hanging out.

I would say latinos have more in common with Africans than American blacks do since we share alot of the same values on family and even common interests such as sports. The children are also brought up very similar.

By the second generation though you can start to see Africans defining themselves as AA, their chldren listen to hiphop , call eachother ***** and dress like urban blacks. Kinda funny because everyone can plainly see they arent American bred blacks.
great post. as a first gen. American I can relate to this a lot.

I also been noticing a lot more first gen Africans assimilating into the Wider African American Sub culture despite the big cultural difference between the Black American culture and the one from their parent's homeland. Similar to how The Irish, Germans, and Italians assimilated into Mainstream America.

By the 2nd generation the two are almost indistinguishable on the surface (Well except for the lasts names)

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 03-31-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,462,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
great post. as a first gen. American I can relate to this a lot.

I also been noticing a lot more first gen Africans assimilating into the Wider African American Sub culture despite the big cultural difference between the Black American culture and the one from their parent's homeland. Similar to how The Irish, Germans, and Italians assimilated into Mainstream America.

By the 2nd generation the two are almost indistinguishable on the surface (Well except for the lasts names)

mas23

Reading all this massive interest in education one would think literacy levels in sub Saharan Africa would be near 100% with 30% of the population educated in tertiary level institutions.

Instead most Africans don't even complete primary school.

In the UK Somali refugees are doing quite poorly, and many of their kids involved in crime. Its easier for them to get to the UK, so the type of Somali arriving there is less selective than those who are able to reach the USA.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM

3,639 posts, read 8,271,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Reading all this massive interest in education one would think literacy levels in sub Saharan Africa would be near 100% with 30% of the population educated in tertiary level institutions.

Instead most Africans don't even complete primary school.

In the UK Somali refugees are doing quite poorly, and many of their kids involved in crime. Its easier for them to get to the UK, so the type of Somali arriving there is less selective than those who are able to reach the USA.
In their defense not every child in Africa can afford to be educated and those especially in the villages have to work at an early age so education is a luxury.

Hence the reason why a lot of African Parent always stress education on their children.

But also like you said the US is pretty selective when it comes to africans immigrating here versus The UK or France where a lot of immigrant children are indeed involved with crime (but even then, I believe their crime rates not as high compared to the U.S.).

Of course not all African first gen's are Amazing scholars and model citizens in America. I know/knew a few myself were involved in some shady activities themselves. Unfortunately many do get caught up wth crime esp if the neighborhood is bad. Which explains why a lot of African Parents want their kids to shy away from African Americans the other black kids. They have good intentions but it just comes off as ignorant.

Last edited by mas23; 04-01-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
In their defense not every child in Africa can afford to be educated and those especially in the villages have to work at an early age so education is a luxury.

Hence the reason why a lot of African Parent always stress education on their children.

But also like you said the US is pretty selective when it comes to africans immigrating here versus The UK or France where a lot of immigrant children are indeed involved with crime (but even then, I believe their crime rates not as high compared to the U.S.).

Of course not all African first gen's are Amazing scholars and model citizens in America. I know/knew a few myself were involved in some shady activities themselves. Unfortunately many do get caught up wth crime esp if the neighborhood is bad. Which explains why a lot of African Parents want their kids to shy away from African Americans the other black kids. They have good intentions but it just comes off as ignorant.
Hell yea, you should see some of the Americanized children of Ghanaian and Nigerian parents in Harlem and the west Bronx.

Some of them who fall into the wrong path can look even more intimidating them the stereotypical black American. But often times it's just a look.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Hell yea, you should see some of the Americanized children of Ghanaian and Nigerian parents in Harlem and the west Bronx.

Some of them who fall into the wrong path can look even more intimidating them the stereotypical black American. But often times it's just a look.
Yeah most of the time it's a look especially down here in DC.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
A lot of the African friends that I have seem to hang out mostly with white people. They don't seem to fit in too well with your typical African American.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:11 PM

770 posts, read 1,124,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To a point, I disagree. History means nothing. My grandparents came to America from Russia, escaping the oppression of the Tsar. That is completely meaningless to me, and has made no contribution whatsoever to who I am as a person.

A Black American and a Black African have nothing in common whatsoever, any more so than a White American and White African. They may, incidentally, be able to find some common ground if they both grew up in a place where Blacks were subjected to discrimination or oppression. But no living Black American was directly affected by Slavery, and very few old enough to have been directly affected by Segretation. Similarly, very few Black Africans are old enough to have been directly affected by Colonialism. However historically important those phenomena are, a Black American and a Black African meeting in the street have not been influenced at all in their lifetimes by slavery, segregation or colonialism. No more so than I and a 25 year old Russian have any common experience of serfdom or oppression in Russia.

As an aside, has it occurred to you that Barack Obama did not spend one single day of his childhood living in an African-American household, society or neighborhood, and cannot know from personal experience that that would be like. He is the 44th US president to be raised as a white child by a white family in a white social framework. It would be "unnatural" for Obama to assume that he has anything in common with even a Black American, much less a Black African.

Very too. Too much generalization does not paint the accuracy of individual cases. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa