Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I agree. I also don't know why a group of people who have done so much to pave the way for other blacks globally want to downplay who they are by manufacturing this fake African thing. Which most do NOT do by the way.
Insecurity. It may be difficult for some "Blacks" to feel as if they can successfully go up against white men at Ivy League and other top universities. You'll find people who graduate near the top of their class and top schools, who have worked on major projects, displayed artistic talent, and done research, etc. A portion of Black people feel inferior to all that and end up getting captured by campus demagouges, who exploit various racial identities including what you just called the fake African thing. There's a similarly fake/ridiculous Latinx thing going on (nobody from a Spanish speaking country would call themselves Latinx and Spanish is a highly gendered language but campus activists cannot offend the American drag queens and transgenders).

Maybe the fake Africans will start calling themselves Africanxes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:35 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
I think they feel that the Black American identity is inferior in that it was created from OPPRESSION and they perceive the
African identity to be FREE of this white OPPRESSION. However, African identity has its OWN SET of OPPRESSIONS, like

throwing tires around random people accused of being thieves (mob justice), accusing some elderly women of being witches,
( One friend was an accuser told me first-hand that he did this back in his country and why he did it). Marrying 13 year-old
girls to 60 year-old men as generational debt.

Beating of wives as normal behaviour.

Lots of extreme superstitions and rules about what one can or cannot do, who to marry, etc.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think they feel that the Black American identity is inferior in that it was created from OPPRESSION and they perceive the
African identity to be FREE of this white OPPRESSION. However, African identity has its OWN SET of OPPRESSIONS, like

throwing tires around random people accused of being thieves (mob justice), accusing some elderly women of being witches,
( One friend was an accuser told me first-hand that he did this back in his country and why he did it). Marrying 13 year-old
girls to 60 year-old men as generational debt.

Beating of wives as normal behaviour.

Lots of extreme superstitions and rules about what one can or cannot do, who to marry, etc.
I haven't seen this and certainly haven't done this, but African-Americans dreaming of a return to Africa should probably study closely the history of Liberia and determine what went wrong and how that could be prevented or rectified.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
The other thing is the white nationalist crowd will never truly accept African Americans as Americans. Look at Charlottesville. Things may get extremely ugly in the US.

Jews who got the hell out of Germany instead of insisting that they are German survived.

Keep in mind that the Nazis in Europe decided to liquidate the ghettoes, ie, exterminate those undesirables living in the ghettoes. If this country were completely taken over by white nationalist the same could happen here.

So it maybe some Black Americans naturally want to see what it's like living in a predominately Black country or otherwise experience life outside of the US.

Despite people like CaribNY claiming Latin America is a racist hellhole, I certainly feel safer when I'm in the Dominican Republic or Colombia than I do in the US with recent developments around white nationalists, who are only going to get more powerful.

CaribNY is also in NYC, and not facing the full fury of these white nationalists full on, like some African Americans. If he had, perhaps he would be back in the Caribbean.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The other thing is the white nationalist crowd will never truly accept African Americans as Americans. Look at Charlottesville. Things may get extremely ugly in the US.

Jews who got the hell out of Germany instead of insisting that they are German survived.

Keep in mind that the Nazis in Europe decided to liquidate the ghettoes, ie, exterminate those undesirables living in the ghettoes. If this country were completely taken over by white nationalist the same could happen here.

So it maybe some Black Americans naturally want to see what it's like living in a predominately Black country or otherwise experience life outside of the US.

Despite people like CaribNY claiming Latin America is a racist hellhole, I certainly feel safer when I'm in the Dominican Republic or Colombia than I do in the US with recent developments around white nationalists, who are only going to get more powerful.

CaribNY is also in NYC, and not facing the full fury of these white nationalists full on, like some African Americans. If he had, perhaps he would be back in the Caribbean.
That is the psychological quandary of Black Americans, we are not accepted as Americans in our own country
but we have no where else to go...So do we fight the rest of our lives? or say "Forget it I am out" or take a
break and go to a predominately Black country? It is like living in an abusive house.

Then again, if we do leave the country, they might not let us back in...I also think that the younger
generation don't have the discipline and moral fortitude of the people who marched in the sixties, they
are not going to be non-violent.

Maybe the best idea might be to stay and fight BUT keep that plane ticket handy if it comes down to bare
survival.

Then again, why should I leave and make the nationalists happy? they would be too happy to buy the ticket, let me be a thorn in their side.

Last edited by Agbor; 08-13-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 PM

What went wrong with Liberia and Sierra Leone is that the settlers started treating the indigenous people like whites treated
them. They failed to learn the culture. This is the root of the civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone I think.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
What went wrong with Liberia and Sierra Leone is that the settlers started treating the indigenous people like whites treated
them. They failed to learn the culture. This is the root of the civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone I think.
It need not have mattered. They were colonists in a new land, not a lot different from the Puritans landing on Manhattan.

Nor not a lot different from my great-great-grandparents staking out land in eastern Oklahoma in the 1889 Land Rush.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
The story about someone in Ghana calling a black-American "white" because of their speech is interesting. It actually shows that the propaganda is effective. Instead of seeing the black-American as the truest representative of an American, the black person is seen as an extension of whiteness (Americanness) instead of the other way around.

Even when someone is fully immersed in west African culture, the effects of white supremacy still loom large.

As black Americans, we can't back away from our American identity just because some white supremacists say that we aren't American. We should never allow whites or foreigners to define what it means to be an American......WE DEFINE WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AMERICAN.

Our roots are deeper than most of the white supremacists that are protesting. What's ironic is that these fake Nazi's would be killed by Hitler if this was 1940. He was pro-Germany, not pro-white. They've co-opted an ideology that was never meant to include them.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The story about someone in Ghana calling a black-American "white" because of their speech is interesting. It actually shows that the propaganda is effective. Instead of seeing the black-American as the truest representative of an American, the black person is seen as an extension of whiteness (Americanness) instead of the other way around.
More likely, the black American is fully behaving in all the ways the "propaganda" says is "American." Black Americans abroad simply don't behave significantly different from white Americans abroad. Yes, there is a minority of black Americans who can go overseas and "get down" with the local cultures...but there is the same percentage of white Americans who do that, too.

Quote:
As black Americans, we can't back away from our American identity just because some white supremacists say that we aren't American. We should never allow whites or foreigners to define what it means to be an American......WE DEFINE WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AMERICAN.

Our roots are deeper than most of the white supremacists that are protesting. What's ironic is that these fake Nazi's would be killed by Hitler if this was 1940. He was pro-Germany, not pro-white. They've co-opted an ideology that was never meant to include them.
I agree.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
not a lot different from the Puritans landing on Manhattan.
??? This never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa