Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Considering the opioid crisis, the police quite clearly are unable to deter people from using drugs.

Alcohol was illegal in the US too. All that did was make people sell alcohol underground, and it made organized crime very wealthy. Alcohol legalization helped diminish the income from organized crime. The US admitted the war on booze failed.

Now from right to left there is huge admission the war on drugs failed. Those who want drugs can easily get them.
Then don't break the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 02:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then don't break the law.
You missed the part where drugs are increasingly becoming LEGAL or DECRIMINALIZE as governments don't want to spend resources on prison. Or on giving former inmates welfare.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM

I was thinking earlier today who Rocko20 reminded me of. I remember when Bill Cosby said all the things African Americans should do. He was certainly hard on single mothers, those who named their kids Afrocentrist names, poor people buying designer clothes, etc. Of course he forgot to mentioned while he was putting down poor Black people, he was drugging and raping women.

Now Cosby is silent (by lawyer's orders) and his career has been destroyed.

Of course there have been holier than though ministers who got caught smoking crystal meth with their male prostitute lovers. These men were publically anti gay, but you know how closed doors work.

All of these men should have been concerned about their personal business instead of telling others how to live.

When you point one finger at someone, you have three pointed back at yourself....................

Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Don't link yourself with Collin Powell or even Condi Rice. They will quickly educate you about the history of this country and why blacks are disproportionately poor. They will also ask why your focus on the 70% who have NEVER received welfare social support and why your focus on the 30%. DESPITE the odious history of this country 70% of blacks worked hard to be independent and NOT depend on others for their survival.

BOTH Condi Rice and Collin Powell have been very vocal about racism and BOTH have advocated remedies to help blacks catch up. Yes BOTH favor forms of affirmative action.

Also note to you. 15% of the white population is LARGER than 30% of the black population so MORE whites depend on welfare than blacks, yet the anti black GOP peddles the lie that most welfare in this country goes to blacks. And naïve as you are, eager to ingratiate yourself with somebody you lap it up with no thought.

I can only ponder why you eagerness to peddle the lies told to you by Sean Hannity.
Nothing is going to sway Rocko and that's okay. A year ago you criticized professional African Americans who had the desire to return to Africa.

You might revisit your criticism of African Americans going to or moving to Africa.

I think your thinking was if more Black people showed racists that they were professionals or educated, anti Black sentiment would dissipate in the states. Recent events would suggest that's certainly not the case, so a number of people will simply say they have nothing to prove to people determined to hate them.

You've thousands of African Americans who have moved to Africa, and I suspect more will. The educated and affluent ones. The underclass has no choice but to remain in America. But if you break something, you pay for it. If you break something, it's yours to keep. Take NYC. Middle class to upper middle class Blacks leave. Housing project Blacks remain. Giuliani and Bloomberg thought gentrification would get rid of the poor, and it completely didn't. Cities like NYC and LA are stuck with their huge underclass populations as no other municipality is going to take in all that ghetto/poverty. Certain cities instituted policies that created this problem, and now they have to struggle to fix it.

So in terms of worrying about inner city "Blacks" of course I'm not worried. I didn't create or maintain the problem, and it's not my problem to fix. The cities that played a role in that disaster will either deal with the problems indefinitely or they will have to come up with solutions for them. But these aren't my problems to deal with.

And let's be honest. The Black underclass is a huge drain on places like NYC and Chicago. But they created the problem, they bulldozed private housing, and created those housing projects, they marginalized people, and they placed people on welfare. And now at an enormous price tag they have to either pay to maintain ir or try and fix it which will likely take many generations.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
H A former boyfriend of mine who is Haitian American thinks it's because the blacks in Africa and the islands control their own countries, cities and neighborhoods with no help from no one, so they have this pride about themselves, t.
Haiti has an economy which is based on expenditures by NGOs. It has whites parading around spending money like its about to go out of season because it has an incompetent government which cannot provide basic services. The earthquake was a scandal when tens of thousands were languishing in tents while white NGO workers and Haitians elites were partying in the clubs patronized by Haiti's affluent.

Haiti comes last with every measure of socio economic development, creating havoc in the DR as they have swamped that nation since the earthquake, and their response is to drag out that tired old story about their successful revolution and then to blame the West for what happened since. That seems to me as the same story as that peddled by certain black Americans who blame whites for all their woes.

The same applies to many African countries. These Peace Corps workers that some one referred to are 22 year olds with no experience. They wouldn't be entrusted with any decision making in any responsible environment. Yet they go to African villagers where the people kiss their toes, that is when they aren't accepting some other form of humiliating charity from NGO workers. They don't see any contradiction about the fact that they think that a white 22 y/o with no experience represents this vast pool of wisdom over the villages who ought to be more familiar with their environments.

It appears to me that Haitians and Africans need to tend to the deficiencies of their own societies instead of being used by cynical whites who want to divide blacks in the USA. It is noteworthy that many of the recent incidence involving blacks and the police involve foreign born blacks.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Good, because I don't use history to stop me from success nor did the Sierra Leone immigrant in American who wrote that article.
Of course Sierra Leone, which has been independent for almost 60 years, is such a "success" story that that idiot can write his Uncle Tom nonsense about American blacks. Yes this nation ranking amongst the poorest in the world, despite its ample reserves of water and natural resources! Why are the people there so dumb that they cannot do better?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Your former Haitian boyfriend was right and it's refreshing to see someone here who understand how to read a chart.
Aah yes, Haiti another success story and evidence about how progressive blacks in the 21st century are. Been independent almost as long as the USA and yet they are the most BACKWARD nation in the Caribbean.

The only thing that i want out of a Haitian's mouth is an explanation as to why this is and I bet it will include ample complaints about how whites treated that nation.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The plight of your typical poor African immigrant in Europe is not so different from the African American underclass. .
In fact they are worse off and yes many eventually begin to live off of Europe's generous welfare systems if they do get legal status. Check the slums of Paris, packed with Africans and see how many survive without welfare.

Blacks have problems, regardless of point of origin. This nonsense about which black is better than which. parroting nonsense drawn from white supremacist sites is really sad. The same people who pay Rocko to spend all day writing poison about American blacks, and who pat the sad little Sierra Leonean's head when he parrots racist nonsense about black Americans, will tell black Americans that all Africans do is slice off the breasts of women, and chop the hands of kids. Yes we hear every bit of sordid news of Africa and little of the positive news.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Every black doctor, lawyer, scholar, intellectual, engineer, general, governor, and highly educated or productive member of society is living proof that you can still make it in this world despite your skin color.
True and 90% of them vote for the Democratic party, despite your screams that every Democratic voting black is a lazy bum who just wants welfare.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Nothing is going to sway Rocko and that's okay. A year ago you criticized professional African Americans who had the desire to return to Africa.

s.
My opinions haven't changed. It isn't that they are embraced by Africans. Its that they arrive with the same American privilege that you enjoy in Europe. And yes I know what that privilege is, even though I am not black American. To most English speaking blacks are seen as American and so benefit from this privilege. I saw this blatantly while I was in Brazil and was able to easily enter spaces where local blacks had to be very wary of.

If a poor black American showed up in Africa they aren't going to be accepted. Blacks who descend from the Transatlantic slave trade are different from those who never left Africa. Those of us who understand and accept this will have a more beneficial experience when they get there. They will understand the Ghanaian taxi driver who looks at them and said that they were lucky that their ancestors were dragged away as slaves as they can now live in the "great USA". This while the Ghanaians (who weren't enslaved) must scheme and engage on all manner of trickery to get a visa to visit the USA in the hope that they could stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa