Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:16 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

I have family from Morocco and Syria with light skin, blond hair and green, blue or light brown eyes. From my observations the minority of the population looks like this. My Moroccan family is Rif Berber. It is interesting how genetics works as some kids from the same parents will look so totally different. I have cousins with both parents having dark brown or black hair and darker complexions, but they have kids with a lighter complexion, blond hair and green eyes. My family are considered visible minorities in their country of origin so I am so use to people being surprised when I tell them where my family is from. I think at times it is easy to forget that there is always a percentage of a geographic population that does not fit the more typical physical traits of the large population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 23,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
I don't speak Arabic, but I've read translations of Egyptian literature, it is a fact that many look down on the blackskinned Sudanese and Nubians, eventough they are just as well Arabic as the Egyptians. And Lebanese consider themselves to be the elite among Arabs, because they are white.
You can see the same in Latin America.
This is really bad, I hate people like that, they just think that they are better than those with dark skinned people, I'm sure there are many people like that, in my social circle however I don't have that
But I can tell that wht you say is true, but it can't be applied for everyone.
Where are you from btw?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Genetic studies have found that Tunisians have about 15% black blood. This is normal, for centuries black slaves were imported, they didn't suddenly disappear, they mixed. Of course Arab and Berber influence is much more important. Genetic studies have also demonstrated that Spanish and Southern Italians also have some black admixture, dating back from the muslim conquest or even further from the Roman empire. =however this does net exceed 5%.
Btw, it's sad to talk about, but true, slaves weren't only brought from Africa, there have been European slaves too that were mostly "jawari", or harems is the right word I think, it may have slightly contributed just as the slaves from Africa contributed to the population.
P.s.: Tunisia abolished slavery in the 18th century

Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have family from Morocco and Syria with light skin, blond hair and green, blue or light brown eyes. From my observations the minority of the population looks like this. My Moroccan family is Rif Berber. It is interesting how genetics works as some kids from the same parents will look so totally different. I have cousins with both parents having dark brown or black hair and darker complexions, but they have kids with a lighter complexion, blond hair and green eyes. My family are considered visible minorities in their country of origin so I am so use to people being surprised when I tell them where my family is from. I think at times it is easy to forget that there is always a percentage of a geographic population that does not fit the more typical physical traits of the large population.
Indeed, having dark skinned children between two white or lighter skinned people is possible, the childrencan even have some asian looks if hes great great great grand parent was asian, it can go all the way, but the probability becomes less and less (we did actually study about this in genetics in high schools if you remember it).
There have been two African Americans who had a white blond baby with blue eyes, no not an albino baby, a normal white baby, it seems that both the father and the mother had a white ancestor, if only one of them had a white ancestor they would never have a white baby, because black is the dominent genes, but when the right genes from the father side and mother side meet, you get a rea white baby, else, the genes can just be passed on as recessive genes that can come out in one of their decedents down the line (at least this is what I know) : The Sun

Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataphrakt View Post
Indeed, having dark skinned children between two white or lighter skinned people is possible, the childrencan even have some asian looks if hes great great great grand parent was asian, it can go all the way, but the probability becomes less and less (we did actually study about this in genetics in high schools if you remember it).
There have been two African Americans who had a white blond baby with blue eyes, no not an albino baby, a normal white baby, it seems that both the father and the mother had a white ancestor, if only one of them had a white ancestor they would never have a white baby, because black is the dominent genes, but when the right genes from the father side and mother side meet, you get a rea white baby, else, the genes can just be passed on as recessive genes that can come out in one of their decedents down the line (at least this is what I know) : The Sun
Well, I'm a Belgian of Russian origin. My mother was a Jew and my father was of Russian origin but with Tatar ancestors.(by the way I'm only 36 but my parents didn't get old). I clearly have the Tatar genes, tall, white-skinned but with half-Asian features, but my kid is half-Kenyan, with green eyes, brown skin, straight hair but African eyes. When people see my kid they get confused... few people can guess... most say Northern India, Nepal or Pakistan... for me myself, most people think Russian or Ukrainian or in any case Eastern European altough in Russia they think I'm a Tatar.

Anyway genetics is interesting stuff. Northern Africa is where Europe meets black Africa and the Middle East.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
This map is nonsense, North Africans are generally darker than southern Euopeans, due to black African admixture. (altough in depends on the region)
85% of australians are of British or Irish origin and definately not dark skinned.
And the map is nonsense....

Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
I would like to quickly add on that it’s completely normal to see a blue eyed person or a white person or a person with blond hair. I’m a white Tunisian girl and I’m blonde. I mean, my mom is American and my father is Tunisian, but I’m completely white. Tunisia has a wide spectrum of racial diversity. My best friend is a dark girl and she’s Tunisian. Keep in mind that I lived in Tunisia most of my life. There is a girl at my school who is blonde and white with blue eyes. I’ve seen many blond people here. It’s nothing weird or foreign to us. I have a very white cousin who I’ve been told I look like, and she has nothing to do with America. Both her parents and her three siblings are dark. It’s normal to us.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samirabintbledha View Post
I would like to quickly add on that it’s completely normal to see a blue eyed person or a white person or a person with blond hair. I’m a white Tunisian girl and I’m blonde. I mean, my mom is American and my father is Tunisian, but I’m completely white. Tunisia has a wide spectrum of racial diversity. My best friend is a dark girl and she’s Tunisian. Keep in mind that I lived in Tunisia most of my life. There is a girl at my school who is blonde and white with blue eyes. I’ve seen many blond people here. It’s nothing weird or foreign to us. I have a very white cousin who I’ve been told I look like, and she has nothing to do with America. Both her parents and her three siblings are dark. It’s normal to us.
This should be interesting any minute now the WASPS will be claiming your not one of them so you can't be "white" you've got to be one of them to really be white. LOL Then the Afro-centrists Americans will be up in arms that you're trying to whitewash "mother Africa"and you're not a real African.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
It's a fact that there was a huge European slave trade in North Africa. Couple that with repeated Arab and European migration and you get the type of mixture you see in North Africa. Blondism has origins in northern Europe but Berbers also exhibit high frequencies of blondism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa