Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am interested in Edward's response as well. Most assuredly someone coming to NYC from Idaho will have more of a culture shock than someone arriving from the DR, India or China.
It's not the hijab, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not the hijab, that's for sure.
Its amazing that you make much of the hijab. How often do you see this? This issue is no more relevant than is making transgender issues the center of a party's political platform as the Democrats did last year with the bathroom issue.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Its amazing that you make much of the hijab. How often do you see this? This issue is no more relevant than is making transgender issues the center of a party's political platform as the Democrats did last year with the bathroom issue.
I went to Minneapolis for the first time a few weeks ago, they're everywhere. It's quite jarring to be honest especially as you say it's not prevalent in other parts of the country.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I went to Minneapolis for the first time a few weeks ago, they're everywhere. It's quite jarring to be honest especially as you say it's not prevalent in other parts of the country.
And so what. Apparently the police in Minneapolis don't consider it to be a crime. It might be in France though, but I don't think that France is a good model of a society which is able to socio economically integrate its immigrants and their off spring.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
69 posts, read 267,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
Look I am African-American mostly 1/2 Bakongo and other West African, 1/4 Socts-Irish, and 1/4 Choctaw/Cherokee. I minored in Africana studies for my B.A. and even was married to a Kenyan woman. We are divorced now (her family was racist and did not like me because I was African American. They thought I was thug even though I have a Master's degree and work a professional job. Also in Kenya they had servants that I called slaves and they kept trying to tell me no its different). I have since remarried to an America Black woman whose roots and heritage are in Mississippi like mine. That being said I would not advise any Black Americans to marry Africans. We have some vestiges of African culture but for the most part we are Americans.

All of that was background info for this. Look we all know most African Americans do not like Africans and most Africans do not like Black Americans. End of story. Can we please stop with African vs African American threads on here? Because they are pointless and redundant. The forum would better be served with information on Africa instead of those silly threads.
I totally agree with you, you solved my wonder why we do not understand one another. However, its a terrible feeling, like a blame of the Africans for the history of American Africans. Let me read some more of the posts to get more enlightened on this strange relationship. I just wonder, would Haitians feel the same hatred of Africans?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
69 posts, read 267,590 times
I wrote my best answer I could ever write to SippiStateBulldogs posting and lost it by accidentally clicking "Go advance".
But in short I have these questions:-

1. How long doest it take to evolve from an American African to African American then to an American. I am USA_an by my passport. Obviously I am a Continental American ?
2. I am and American African in the USA because I guess I have been here not long enough just 30 some years.
3. Is there a time frame to become a USA African American just as others so we start to love each other and relate well?
3. What is the qualification for being African American, wealth, education or language?
4. For what value which I haven't seen do African Americans feel superior to American Africans?

Note: Somebody help recover my writing I lost by pressing Go Advance> it was well-written, as if by African American!

Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 AM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Black people in American are very likely to cone from a poor family
Africans that comebto the US are likely to cone from an upper class family in their country
A poor black family in America is still better than an upper class family in Africa. America has the richest poor people on the planet with the highest standard of living and all kinds of free welfare. Ask any African American if they would have rather been born in Africa and you'll get laughed out the door. No African American is lining up to go back to Africa.

The gap/difference between African American and African immigrants is cultural, not economical. African Americans believe African immigrants aren't "really black" as they did not experience any civil rights movement, police brutality, jim crow, and other forms of African American history or experiences in America. And they believe they have silly accents, cultures, and outfits.

Vice versa with African immigrants, they believe African Americans are uneducated criminals with no authentic culture or ties to Africa.

African Americans and African Immigrants need to come together, work together, so we can all achieve great things in the world. Sadly the cultural gap and lack of perspective from the other side, continues to prevent this much needed understanding and cooperation. There's also a cultural difference between Jamaican blacks, English blacks, French blacks, etc. every black person believes they're nationality is "the best black."

Old 04-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
A poor black family in America is still better than an upper class family in Africa. "
You need to get out more. The USA has 3rd world level poverty and poor blacks are definitely part of this. Upper class families in Africa live quite well which is why Africa has one of the highest levels of income inequality globally.

In NYC more than 15% of the population are "food insecure" meaning that at some point in the month they starve. Yes the food stamps that you right wing zealots think offers comforts that people can just relax doesn't turn out so well, at least for those living in major cities. For many it just covers the first few weeks of the month.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
A poor black family in America is still better than an upper class family in Africa. America has the richest poor people on the planet with the highest standard of living and all kinds of free welfare. Ask any African American if they would have rather been born in Africa and you'll get laughed out the door. No African American is lining up to go back to Africa.

The gap/difference between African American and African immigrants is cultural, not economical. African Americans believe African immigrants aren't "really black" as they did not experience any civil rights movement, police brutality, jim crow, and other forms of African American history or experiences in America. And they believe they have silly accents, cultures, and outfits.

Vice versa with African immigrants, they believe African Americans are uneducated criminals with no authentic culture or ties to Africa.

African Americans and African Immigrants need to come together, work together, so we can all achieve great things in the world. Sadly the cultural gap and lack of perspective from the other side, continues to prevent this much needed understanding and cooperation. There's also a cultural difference between Jamaican blacks, English blacks, French blacks, etc. every black person believes they're nationality is "the best black."
There are billionaires in Africa, so what you just said there is complete garbage. The Presidents of African nations and their families, top military generals, and of course CEOs and top executives are wealthy by any global standard and they own homes and property in the US and in Europe where they sent their children for education.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
You need to get out more. The USA has 3rd world level poverty and poor blacks are definitely part of this. Upper class families in Africa live quite well which is why Africa has one of the highest levels of income inequality globally.

In NYC more than 15% of the population are "food insecure" meaning that at some point in the month they starve. Yes the food stamps that you right wing zealots think offers comforts that people can just relax doesn't turn out so well, at least for those living in major cities. For many it just covers the first few weeks of the month.
And not one of them would voluntarily go to Africa. Matter of fact it's the opposites, Africans of all social class continue to migrate to America.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out why.

Not even rich African Americans have any interest in moving to Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are billionaires in Africa, so what you just said there is complete garbage. The Presidents of African nations and their families, top military generals, and of course CEOs and top executives are wealthy by any global standard and they own homes and property in the US and in Europe where they sent their children for education.
If makes no difference if no African Americans of upper class are willing to move there.

You've actually proved my point. Upper class Africans rather send their kids to US and Europe schools than in their own home country. What does that tell you about the state of most African countries and the billionaires who are not willing to keep their own kids there?

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-18-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa