Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Here's an example of why Africans are poor despite having valuable natural resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5DH71azt8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Like others, growing up I was told about the "poor suffering Africans" and was told we need to give them aid and help, but if Africa itself is so rich with resources why are they so poor?

I'll never forget in school my teacher made a statement that made me not care less about Africans. It was:

"Africa is a continent rich with all kinds of resources and wealth yet most Africans suffer tremendously".

When my teacher said that the wheels in my head began to spin. So Africa is a very rich continent....yet the people can't use them to their advantage? Europeans sure had little problem with it.

After I heard that I didn't feel bad for the Africans at all, if they can't use their continents resources to help their people/country why should I care? It has always seemed amazing to me how you can be literally sitting on a gold mine but not have the brains necessary to properly utilize it.

But seriously, why should we care if they have the means to help themselves with all of Africa's rich resources but don't? It's not the Wests fault African countries can't go a day without a coup d'etat of some kind.
I would put it in a different way, if Europe is so rich, why do Europeans still have to come to Africa to steal natural resources ?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Here's an example of why Africans are poor despite having valuable natural resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5DH71azt8
Again this contradict your speech, do we preach democracy and anti-corruption overseas ? aren't the policeman of the world, if this documentary is true and constitute an evidence of corruption why are we then, we, American doing business with a corrupt tyran ? aren't we part of the deal ? Whoever sees a crime and stay silent is a part of the crime ?
He comes to American buy houses, cars ,spend a fortune on parties ,just because we buy oil from his country doesn't give him any right to steal money from his people.

We brought Noriega from Panama by force and we can't take care of this tyran or is there other hidden secrets we're missing, maybe some other people are making millions out of this guy therefore there is no need to denounce this dictature.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM

89 posts, read 200,969 times
Default Not that simple !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Why does that matter? It's not as if Europeans managed to take all the resources. Plus they haven't for a long time. So why can't Africans put their resources to use the same way Europeans did?
It's more difficult than that !!!

Europeans and especially France will never let Africans to manage their resources.
How they do that ? Corruption..if the corruption doesn't work anymore so they will do a coup d'état and of course people don't know they are behind coup d'état.
Why ? Europeans need these resources with a good profit.
Every time an african president decided to manage his country without the help of europeans or americans, he got killed (please watch Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba).
Anywhere there is a war in Africa it's because, there is a lot of resources.
Most of time, we never heard about this wars in TV, like in Congo (Central Africa).
Please do some research about that.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM

89 posts, read 200,969 times
Default so right

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I would put it in a different way, if Europe is so rich, why do Europeans still have to come to Africa to steal natural resources ?
Good question!!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linana75 View Post
It's more difficult than that !!!

Europeans and especially France will never let Africans to manage their resources.
How they do that ? Corruption..if the corruption doesn't work anymore so they will do a coup d'état and of course people don't know they are behind coup d'état.
Why ? Europeans need these resources with a good profit.
Every time an african president decided to manage his country without the help of europeans or americans, he got killed (please watch Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba).
Anywhere there is a war in Africa it's because, there is a lot of resources.
Most of time, we never heard about this wars in TV, like in Congo (Central Africa).
Please do some research about that.
Totally agree with you

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Good question!!!!
Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Good question!!!!
Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
a big 3rd world problem. lots of resources but so much corruption near impossible to use any of them to help the people.
now my turn to ask a question. so if the problem is the corruption not lack of resources, does moving to america resolve the problem?
sounds like ebola to me.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Huh? Give me a link to where Europeans are still stealing from the "poor suffering Africans". If anything it would be the Chinese. In the past decade they have sent hundreds of thousands to take Africas resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa