Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Well a lot of them also immigrate to the United Arab Emirates as well, due to the high pay and safety factors and I sure there are cultural centers for them in the UAE as there are at least 100 000 South Africans there. The Social conservatism in the UAE does not concern them as much as the safety factor. But the UAE is very diverse overall, and one can find plenty of British, Russian, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani as well as Filipinos, Canadians, Egyptians, Iraqis, Sudanese, etc.

Last edited by other99; 03-16-2018 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well a lot of them also immigrate to the United Arab Emirates as well, due to the high pay and safety factors and I sure there are cultural centers for them in the UAE as there are at least 100 000 South Africans there. The Social conservatism in the UAE does not concern them as much as the safety factor. But the UAE is very diverse overall, and one can find plenty of British, Russian, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani as well as Filipinos, Canadians, Egyptians, Iraqis, Sudanese, etc.
Interesting there are 100K South Africans in UAE. I've noticed Nigerians go on about Dubai, does Dubai have no visa restrictions for Africans?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Is it my understanding that many more Afrikaners, when they move out of South Africa due to the security situation, the economy, move to the UK as well as the US and other developed Anglo countries much more than to the Netherlands or Flanders? If that's so, is it because Afrikaners haven't felt connected to Holland so much after the Cape was taken over by the British in the early 1800s, and in the meantime British rule led them to now forge a greater connection with England? I would think that Afrikaners would do quite well in Holland and so forth because the language is quite similar if not the same.

On sort of a related note, is there a substantial number of Afrikaners living in the Dutch Antilles (e.g. CuraƧao or Aruba)?
The grass is more green in Netherlands. You won't regret it

Old 03-20-2018, 05:42 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Interesting there are 100K South Africans in UAE. I've noticed Nigerians go on about Dubai, does Dubai have no visa restrictions for Africans?
I sure Dubai has visa restrictions for Africans. Even though most of UAE population are foreigners, they are not allowed to be citizens there. Even the ones that are born there.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I don't think they or other foreigners are necessarily allowed to be citizens of the UAE, though. Only 20% of the population in the Emirates are UAE citizens.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
I know this question won't completely relate to the topic but I'm genuinely curious. Is Afrikaans just white South African's in general or do you have to have Dutch ancestry to be an Afrikaan? Where did the language come from? Also would I a bi-racial American man be considered an Afrikaan if I moved to SA?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM

277 posts, read 381,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I know this question won't completely relate to the topic but I'm genuinely curious. Is Afrikaans just white South African's in general or do you have to have Dutch ancestry to be an Afrikaan? Where did the language come from? Also would I a bi-racial American man be considered an Afrikaan if I moved to SA?
The Afrikaaners are of Dutch descent. White South Africans primarily have ancestry from either the Dutch or the British (there are more obviously) but if you were to move here as a biracial American then no you would not be considered an Afrikaaner, you would just be considered an American.

I don't know the full history of the Afrikaans language but my understanding is it's what developed from the Dutch settlers as they settled in the Cape and were trying to communicate with the local Khoisan at the time. This also allowed it to evolve by incorporating the languages of the other settlers at the time but is primarily rooted in Dutch.

I stand corrected though if another member happens to be an Afrikaaner and can shed some further light

Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
The Afrikaaners are of Dutch descent. White South Africans primarily have ancestry from either the Dutch or the British (there are more obviously) but if you were to move here as a biracial American then no you would not be considered an Afrikaaner, you would just be considered an American.

I don't know the full history of the Afrikaans language but my understanding is it's what developed from the Dutch settlers as they settled in the Cape and were trying to communicate with the local Khoisan at the time. This also allowed it to evolve by incorporating the languages of the other settlers at the time but is primarily rooted in Dutch.

I stand corrected though if another member happens to be an Afrikaaner and can shed some further light
Yeah the languages seems unfamiliar. I learned a little German in school, so natural I understand some Dutch as well. However I can't seem to understand that language at all. Seems different from regular Dutch and not very similar to German.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,169 times
I was born in Bloemfontein in 1993, and learnt both English and Afrikaans at school. But then at the age of 10 or 11 my parents and I moved to England, purely for the better job opportunities, helped somewhat by my mother being English, whereas my dad was South African but both his parents were Dutch. As a consequence my dad spoke Afrikaans more than English when he was a kid. But as he grew older he realised there were far more opportunities educationwise and jobwise if he spoke English. And true to form he graduated and got a good job because he let English become his prime language.

When he met his future wife it helped him ultimately get citizenship in the UK, where we all benefited far more than we would have done had we stayed in SA.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post

I'd add that there were also French Huguenots (Protestants fleeing persecution from largely Catholic France) who settled in South Africa - you can see that in their names such as du Pre, Viljoen, du Tout, de Villiers, du Plessis. They've however integrated into the original Dutch Boer community and are considered to be Afrikaner.

An analogy to how Afrikaans developed as a language away from Dutch is seeing how Quebecois French developed and evolved from Metropolitan French - it developed in isolation from its origins and kept some original formats from hundreds of years, as well as adding some local influences into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa