Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But Europeans e.g. Whites are not of African origin...
It would be helpful if the OP would clarify his question. There are indeed modern whites who are native born Africans. I think OP was referring to people who do not live in countries where native African languages are commonly spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
But Europeans e.g. Whites are not of African origin...
But it's not clear what the OP means by "origin." Origin may refer to place of birth or to deeper ancestral ties to a region. I'd tend to agree with you, but understand that the term can be interpreted in various ways.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
The OP does not use the word "origin". It asks if anyone from continents other than Africa speaks an African language.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:26 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It would be helpful if the OP would clarify his question. There are indeed modern whites who are native born Africans. I think OP was referring to people who do not live in countries where native African languages are commonly spoken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But it's not clear what the OP means by "origin." Origin may refer to place of birth or to deeper ancestral ties to a region. I'd tend to agree with you, but understand that the term can be interpreted in various ways.
I guess so.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
White South Africans are NOT native to the African continent though.

Are you by now not native to Europe? Be careful of double standards.

Should white South Africans have a right to erect obstacles to restrict the upward mobility of non whites? No.

But aren't they by now not native to South Africa, in the same way that European born non whites are? Yes.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 PM

20 posts, read 36,428 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1aPBazfjo

This is a video of a white American (who has no ties from Africa) speaking Yoruba (an African tribal language).

Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Semetic languages, which include Arabic and Hebrew, are deeply nested within the Afro-Asiatic language family. Consensus among linguists (given all the other branches are African) is the family had its origin somewhere in East or possibly North Africa.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 PM

277 posts, read 380,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Are you by now not native to Europe? Be careful of double standards.

Should white South Africans have a right to erect obstacles to restrict the upward mobility of non whites? No.

But aren't they by now not native to South Africa, in the same way that European born non whites are? Yes.
It's always going to be an endless debate I reckon. At what number of generations would this change? For instance my family have been here for over 6 generations.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM

723 posts, read 806,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskaedy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1aPBazfjo

This is a video of a white American (who has no ties from Africa) speaking Yoruba (an African tribal language).
Does he have a hidden plan to take over the land after being accepted like Cecil Rhodes did before him in the Southern Africa? Just joking !

Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I used to speak some Bamanankan, which is a common language in the interior of West Africa. I learned it at the university, just for fun basically because they offered the course. I would have preferred Yoruba, but there was hardly any choice of African languages being taught at European universities. I assume it is still that way today. Anyway, I have forgotten almost all of it by now, since I have never used it since that language course decades ago, there is just nobody to speak it with.

I liked the sound of the language, and how wonderfully non-European it was. It was so different from everything I knew, even the number system was quite different. So when you are confronted with such a language, you feel like a baby, hopelessly dependent on imitating the teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa