Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 AM

723 posts, read 805,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hey I've spent a lot of time on metros too. Never saw an ad for Miami or New York in any metro in Tokyo, or Seoul, or Hong Kong.

With your logic, I guess that means no Asians are going to the U.S. anymore.
African cities need more publicity than the U.S. cities.
Ask people where the city of Bata ( one of the cleanest and beautiful cities in the world) is, and ask them where Miami is.
The outcome will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
African cities need more publicity than the U.S. cities.
Ask people where the city of Bata ( one of the cleanest and beautiful cities in the world) is, and ask them where Miami is.
The outcome will be different.
Okay, I'll do that right after I ask a bunch of Europeans, Africans, and Asians to point out Johannesburg vs. Moab.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Canary Islands .... yes, they are in Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeEJDS455SY

Old 03-09-2015, 11:31 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Okay, I'll do that right after I ask a bunch of Europeans, Africans, and Asians to point out Johannesburg vs. Moab.
This is not only about Johannesburg. Everyone knows where that is. It is about considering places like Praia, Mindelo, Mombasa, Dakar, and Durban.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
I spent a couple weeks on a beach in The Gambia for work(love my job). It was nice but weird at the same time. Nice in that the beach was gorgeous and there was a cool rasta beach bum vibe. Weird in that it is apparently a top sex tourism draw for older northern European women (like Thailand is for older men).

Seeing baobab trees on the beach was cool. I was there mid-winter and the weather was ok except that the wind picked up in the late afternoon. I think it was the tail end of the peak seaon. Some of the local guys live in little shacks(most serve food and drinks and some are mini resorts) on the beach and solicit people who are brave/naive enough to go beyond the resort boundaries. They aren't malicious but they can be annoying. They won't take no for an answer unless you are really forceful with it. Too forceful and they get offended. It's impossible to take a undisturbed stroll along the beach there but the guys are just trying to make a living I suppose.

Speaking of making a living...some of those "bumsters" are often seen walking hand-in-hand with ladies 3 times their age.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend my own money to go back but overall it wasn't a bad experience.
I'd really like to check out the east coast. I hear Mozambique and Tanzania are nice.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM

667 posts, read 940,210 times
I also hear that many African beaches are very dirty, with lots of garbage all around as well as sewage runoff.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,312 times
Uh...........no. Canary Islands are part of Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Canary Islands .... yes, they are in Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeEJDS455SY

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times
Senegal had some very nice beaches, then of course off the coast of Kenya Seychelles which water is so pretty.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is not only about Johannesburg. Everyone knows where that is. It is about considering places like Praia, Mindelo, Mombasa, Dakar, and Durban.
Yeah, but you can never ask that question to two completely different sizes places.

Miami or Moab. Of course, people will know Miami.
Johannesburg or Bata. Of course Johannesburg.

He'd make a stronger argument if he'd said Moab vs Bata, or Miami vs Johannesburg.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
Lagzira beach in Morocco, one of the wonders of Africa.

Dakhla beach in Morocco where the desert faces the ocean.

[IMG]hthttp://www.moroccodesertravel.com/Galleries.html#prettyPhoto[gallery1]/2/[/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa