Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Why is Tusker beer never for sale in the United States?
Because no one has come up with the idea.

With all things, it just takes someone to do it.

What I don't understand is why the United States can have so many successful African-American people, many who are legitimately and sincerely interested in Africa, and who'd REALLY be a perfect niche to bring in such products or businesses....but for whatever reason, I haven't seen anyone do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,107,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

What I don't understand is why the United States can have so many successful African-American people, many who are legitimately and sincerely interested in Africa, and who'd REALLY be a perfect niche to bring in such products or businesses....but for whatever reason, I haven't seen anyone do it.
I'm white.

I am interested in Africa though...partly for economic reasons (I have money invested throughout the continent) and partly because it's a genuinely interesting place.

I brew my own beer so I do have some experience in the field...maybe I should set up a Tusker distributorship in the US.

Maybe I can get American hipsters to drink Chibuku Shake Shake too.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 534,715 times
I met a white guy from Kenya..he said he grew up on a farm in the Rift Valley. His accent was like old school British (house was pronounced like hise) I didn't want to be intrusive, and I only spoke with him for about 10 minutes waiting to get called in at the dentists office (we were in the waiting room) here in Southern California.

I know there are other white Kenyans, like Richard Leakey and of course other countries in Africa like South Africa have whites..how are white Kenyans perceived? Where do they commonly live? Do you encounter many in Nairobi or Mombasa?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
What's the best bar in Africa?
Since Africa is a tiny country with fewer than a dozen bars (mainly in its colorful, vibrant capital, Africa City) and only 1-2 hours drive from most of North America and Europe, why don't you drive on over and try out all of Africa's bars for yourself?

Let us know what you find out!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:21 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,726,267 times
What are the dominant ethnic groups in Garissa, where there was a massacre of Christian college students?

Old 04-13-2015, 02:01 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,455,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

You can get Tusker at two different liquor stores in Minneapolis, Surdyk's and Total Wine. I have also seen it for sale at Your DeKalb Farmer's Market in Atlanta and BevMo in San Francisco. They serve it at Little Baobab in SF, too. TBH it is not a very good beer.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 PM

380 posts, read 649,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Could you be more specific? Africa is a (very large) continent.
I was just having a little fun.

Another good one is:

"What's the weather like in Africa?"

Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 PM

30 posts, read 43,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
What's the work environment like in Kenya compared to other places? Still 9-5?

How often do kidnappings take place?
Yep 9-5. Kidnapping is rare as far as I know. Compared to other places Kenya's work enviromnent is almost the same. It really depends on who you are working for and what part of Kenya you're living in. If youre living in Nairobi, traffic would become your best friend. Other than that corruption especially in the government. Those are the two negatives i know of. Sometimes you're at risk of robbery and muggings, but simple precautions like not wearing jewelry outdoors or keeping your windows up in traffic can solve that.

You'll definitely enjoy amazing weather, meet great people and pop down to Masaai Mara or Mt.Kenya over long weekends which you cannot do from many other countries so worth the move. Other than that salaries are good and living standards are decent.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
What do you think about the project of East African Federation, or whatever it is called.Is it likely to happen?

Ok, and English is common, but do many people speak it as a first language?
What about English proficiency in neighboring countries?
The East African Community exists and had been in existence for as long as I can remember. In the past few years, i've definitely noticed an increase in co-operation efforts. I've heard they want to introduce an East African Visa for tourists as the countries are so different in their similarities, you'll be astound. I mean you cannot find gorillas in Kenya and you cannot find lions in Uganda though we have a single border.

I wouldn't say English is a first language, but it is taught in school (all courses are taken in english). I suspect the number of English speakers declines as we move out of the cities but if you visit Nairobi or Mombasa you'll not need an interpreter i can assure you. Im Uganda and Rwanda they speak English. A little less in Tanzania where swahili is the order of the day.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBangerzz View Post
are there a lot of beautiful women in Kenya ?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa