Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:27 AM

836 posts, read 1,256,163 times

Advertisements

Is it my understanding that many more Afrikaners, when they move out of South Africa due to the security situation, the economy, move to the UK as well as the US and other developed Anglo countries much more than to the Netherlands or Flanders? If that's so, is it because Afrikaners haven't felt connected to Holland so much after the Cape was taken over by the British in the early 1800s, and in the meantime British rule led them to now forge a greater connection with England? I would think that Afrikaners would do quite well in Holland and so forth because the language is quite similar if not the same.

On sort of a related note, is there a substantial number of Afrikaners living in the Dutch Antilles (e.g. Curaçao or Aruba)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
I think most of the successful English-speaking countries are bigger in population and economy than the Netherlands and that means more economic opportunities. Also the fact that South Africa is basically an English-speaking nation (yes, I know about all the other official languages but from my understanding only one is used nationwide and that is English), so they are probably used to being in an English-speaking environment.

We also have to wonder how many of the Afrikaaners are also mixed with English ancestry, which would increase their attachment to England or English-speaking countries too.

In addition, with the exception of England (especially the London area) and Canada, most of the successful English-speaking countries have nicer year-round weather and beautiful natural scenery. Sometimes the whole country is like this and at other times its large regions of a country. This is more of a bonus considering everything else, but its one thing the Netherlands will never be able to compete with. lol

Lastly, cities in many English-speaking countries are simply nicer and much more exciting than any city in the Netherlands. This has to do in part due to size (there are some huge cities in the English-speaking world, some are so huge you can fit many Netherlands in them and that's just one city), but also because English-speaking cities tend to be much more attractive than cities in the Netherlands. If anyone ever tells you that Amsterdam is a beautiful city, rest assure that they are lying. Amsterdam is an interesting city, but beautiful is not how I would describe it; and I think this is one of the largest cities in the Netherlands.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:33 PM

277 posts, read 381,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Is it my understanding that many more Afrikaners, when they move out of South Africa due to the security situation, the economy, move to the UK as well as the US and other developed Anglo countries much more than to the Netherlands or Flanders? If that's so, is it because Afrikaners haven't felt connected to Holland so much after the Cape was taken over by the British in the early 1800s, and in the meantime British rule led them to now forge a greater connection with England? I would think that Afrikaners would do quite well in Holland and so forth because the language is quite similar if not the same.

On sort of a related note, is there a substantial number of Afrikaners living in the Dutch Antilles (e.g. Curaçao or Aruba)?
From my experience I've never met an Afrikaaner who can felt any connection to Holland. Heck I could be wrong though, I'll ask a few friends tomorrow and get you an official Afrikaaner response

Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In addition, with the exception of England (especially the London area) and Canada, most of the successful English-speaking countries have nicer year-round weather and beautiful natural scenery. Sometimes the whole country is like this and at other times its large regions of a country. This is more of a bonus considering everything else, but its one thing the Netherlands will never be able to compete with. lol
The UK, Canada, and the northern US don't have nice year-round weather but large parts do have beautiful natural scenery.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Many Germans moved from Togo and Namibia (Ex Southwest Africa), to South Africa mainly for economic reasons.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,400 times
Most Afrikaner don't feel any connection with the Netherlands, ofcoz Afrikaners are a mix of various Western European nationalities including Greek. Australia is the most popular destination due to the similar climate as SA.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra tata View Post
Most Afrikaner don't feel any connection with the Netherlands, ofcoz Afrikaners are a mix of various Western European nationalities including Greek. Australia is the most popular destination due to the similar climate as SA.
Even less than francophone Quebeckers to France?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 AM

45 posts, read 59,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra tata View Post
Except that to me moving to Australia is like moving to an English speaking version of Brakpan. Even the jokes would remain the same.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Australia Examining Fast-Track Visas for Threatened South African Farmers

Australia Examining Fast-Track Visas for South African Farmers

Old 03-16-2018, 06:00 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Even less than francophone Quebeckers to France?
But they have no strong incentive to emigrate. But Quebeckers don't move ti England, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa