Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 AM

277 posts, read 380,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, but for any tourist to visit these national parks, you are talking thousands of dollars per person. Each tourist already is giving tons of money into the local economies. If you want to hike Kilimanjaro, it'll cost you a few thousand dollars in hiring guides and park fees - mandatory. If you want to visit any African national park, same thing. You must hire guides, and you must pay expensive national park entrance fees, again for thousands of dollars.
This can't be true? Do foreigners really spend that much to visit the game reserves?

A day pass to visit the Kruger National Park is R66 which is a whole $5. Hiring a car for the day is like R200 ($15)...So a whole $20 to drive around the game reserve for the day? Where are the thousands coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:51 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
To paraphrase "Uncle Joe" Stalin, the death of Cecil the Lion is a tragedy. The deaths of thousands of Zimbabweans at the hands of Robert Mugabe is a statistic.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Now his brother Jericho has been killed today.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Now his brother Jericho has been killed today.

I read that, too, but the news article in Yahoo didn't give any details. Anyone know what happened? There was concern that Jericho would kill Cecil's cubs to populate his own tribe, but Jericho was actually protecting his nieces and nephews. The whole thing is just bizarre!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,598 times
The news was reported false alarm, another lion got killed but its not Jericho. There is a whole discussion thread on this topic under current events.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
that american douchebaggish dentist though...

Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Poaching is bad. But how many millions of animals are killed for food every day? I guess the difference here is that the lion had a name. As for big game hunting - it brings in a lot of money to some very poor countries that would otherwise have little incentive to set aside areas for game parks or to otherwise preserve species and habitat.
So true. We are just brain washed by society that lions are noble creatures and sheep (or fill in the blank) are not. In India cows are worshipped. Wierd to us, normal to them.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
I hope that the death of Cecil makes people more aware of the dwindling numbers of these wild animals. I also hope that practices like canned hunts are banned. I just don't understand how anyone would look at a magnificient lion like Cecil and want to kill him instead of just appreciating his magnificence and beauty.

I'm not a meat eater but because someone is a meat eater I don't agree that it makes them a hypocrite if they are outraged about lions, elephants and rhinos being killed. I think there needs to be a worldwide effort made to save wildlife in Africa/Asia otherwise there will be very few of these magnificent animals left in the wild in the next 100 years.

Why do people bring up abortions and other issues when people comment that they are saddened and disgusted by Cecil's killing? People can be disgusted at this for its own sake. I find the whole episode extremely sad and a start would be for countries to ban trophy hunt imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa