Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 PM

906 posts, read 711,920 times

Advertisements

Antarctica is geographically close to Africa so Africa has a natural advantage when it comes to extracting resources off the continent. Perhaps only to my own dismay, Antarctica is currently controlled by Western powers though I imagine Africa's first step being to change that reality. The question is, how? That powers from the other side of the globe imagine themselves capable of acquiring a major resource that is in Africa's own backyard without question...well I hope Africans realize the potential Antarctica can bring to Africa and how it is well within our interests to acquire Antarctica and its resources, as much as that is possible. May I suggest when the treaty expires, or even before it, that Africa, South America, and Australia work together to ensure that profits from the eventual resource extraction remain amongst ourselves?

Again, the question is how to ensure that the resources from the continent aren't controlled by distant powers, instead by those geographically closer? Do you imagine that we should be capable of defending our interests militarily should we not be able to solve the issue on paper? Do you imagine the AU to be capable of erecting a base on Antarctica? How can Africa develop the continent? How should Africa go about protecting its interests in Antarctica?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 03:01 PM

177 posts, read 193,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Antarctica is geographically close to Africa so Africa has a natural advantage when it comes to extracting resources off the continent. Perhaps only to my own dismay, Antarctica is currently controlled by Western powers though I imagine Africa's first step being to change that reality. The question is, how? That powers from the other side of the globe imagine themselves capable of acquiring a major resource that is in Africa's own backyard without question...well I hope Africans realize the potential Antarctica can bring to Africa and how it is well within our interests to acquire Antarctica and its resources, as much as that is possible. May I suggest when the treaty expires, or even before it, that Africa, South America, and Australia work together to ensure that profits from the eventual resource extraction remain amongst ourselves?

Again, the question is how to ensure that the resources from the continent aren't controlled by distant powers, instead by those geographically closer? Do you imagine that we should be capable of defending our interests militarily should we not be able to solve the issue on paper? Do you imagine the AU to be capable of erecting a base on Antarctica? How can Africa develop the continent? How should Africa go about protecting its interests in Antarctica?

I don't know. What is your suggestion?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:30 PM

I would first suggest an effort to make people aware of the possibility. I would then invest in Antarctica specific technology, pursuing patents..registering useful patents protected elsewhere in African economies as well as creating our own. I would emphasize Antarctic critical education in our colleges and universities. I would bolster our sea force, and air force..and attempt to establish military bases in strategic places.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM

137 posts, read 142,502 times
Quote:
Antarctica is geographically close to Africa so Africa has a natural advantage when it comes to extracting resources off the continent.
Well, how far have natural advantages alone gotten Africans in general?

Without human resource advantages, none of all these natural advantages can be capitalized upon very well...

I mean, African air & sea forces? Lol, they can't even afford to maintain or often pilot their outsourced crafts...much less build any of it themselves...
Quote:
The first issue is maintenance. Traditionally, African air forces have struggled to keep their hardware in a serviceable state, owing to a lack of money to buy spares and the absence of the highly-skilled maintenance professionals.

While many countries’ finances have improved in recent decades, the old logistical problems persist.
South Africa has grounded most of its Gripens because flying them on a regular basis is prohibitively expensive. In many countries, Eastern European fly the helicopters and fighters because there aren’t enough qualified African aircrews. Again, it’s prohibitively expensive to train them up.

Even if Uganda and Angola can keep their Su-30s and other modern assets flying, they might still end up not getting their money’s worth. “You need the whole maintenance system, you need good training, an air-defense system for your airfields, radar coverage for your own air space and neighboring countries,” Wezeman explains.

So it’s possible we’re currently witnessing the slow-motion waste of hundreds of millions of dollars by African governments. That said, it’s better that all this new aerial weaponry go to waste, if the alternative is some huge war that actually puts it to use.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
Well, how far have natural advantages alone gotten Africans in general?

Without human resource advantages, none of all these natural advantages can be capitalized upon very well...

I mean, African air & sea forces? Lol, they can't even afford to maintain or often pilot their outsourced crafts...much less build any of it themselves...
You dont think its possible?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 AM

922 posts, read 805,797 times
Russia thwarts plan for Antarctic ocean sanctuary, China on board

Africans should start building submarines and nukes, because the Chinese and Russians are gonna exploit Antarctic resources.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:53 AM

45 posts, read 155,541 times
Be for real people Africans have other priorities first.

Priorities:

- Trouble feeding the people of the continent, most malnourished continent on earth.
- No proper infrastructure hence no economic development, most of the population live in rural areas and shanty towns.
- Life expectancy is below 65 in most countries.
- There's little to none domestic military complexes, just few niches here and there. African countries lack air power, sea power & intelligence gathering capabilities via networks of sophisticated satelittes.
- The dark continent with large parts without electricity, safe drinking water.
- Epidemics here and there Hiv/Aids, Ebola, Malaria, Tuberculose
- Corruption and greedy leaders who stifle innovation & funnel much needed money to foreign banks.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 AM

45 posts, read 155,541 times
Lets say somehow Africa sets it's mind towards Antartica, how will they divide it? There's a international legal agreement that until 2048 no country is allowed to exploit Antartica resources, introduce foreign species like animals or plants, no military installations of any kind. I kinda like this arrangement, i don't know how it will be after 2048 though.

According to global firepower 2015, the top 5 strongest african countries are 1. Egypt (18th) 2. Algeria (27th) 3. South-Africa (32th) 4. Nigeria (41th) 5. Ethiopia (46th). All except Egypt, has little power project outside the continent, Algeria, South-Africa, Nigeria & Ethiopia mostly have defensive armies.

Missile technology like anti-aircraft missile systems, anti-ballastic missile systems, ballistic missile systems, only a handfull countries make their own, none of them in Africa.

Almost all Warships above 1000 long ton is imported from other countries. Aircraft is imported.

If Africa(ever unites) and really wants to make a shot, it needs to fix it own major domestic problems first. Then there's the question of nukes which nobody really can use unless you want some back your own direction. Be prepared for sanctions and invasion if Africa attempts to make nukes.

I don't give it much chance. South-Africa has according to a treaty reserved the right to make a claim amongst others, whether they will get it don't know.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 AM

The date is 2048? I remember that to be generally correct. It is 2015 so we are talking 33 years into the future, though I would recommend that that date is jumped so as to ensure at least a stake. You are very right however that most military resources are imported and as of right now, I think that is overall best. I do not know the strongest militaries in Africa, however collectively..and this effort would have to be collective...it is at least a starting point. I would encourage the AU to bid a stake in Antarctica because, as of right now, it is only South Africa that has any claim to the continent and Antarctica is likely to prove itself a valuable resource. Of course they should go through the diplomatic channels as far as that is possible but I personally would not be opposed to a military option for this, after all Africa does have the natural advantage of global position and some time to strategically place itself.

Pursuing nuclear technology isn't the sole enterprise of Western powers. In global affairs if you are not a nuclear power you are hardly a power.
If the West imagines themselves to be the sole possessors of nuclear technology in perpetuity they will eventually find themselves mistaken. And beyond that, South Africa was once a nuclear power..the technology itself is not foreign to the continent.

Sanctions are only a concern, it is often that sanctions are being levied on African governments. I doubt that in and of itself would hinder the effort.

As far as invasions, may I remind you what happened the last time Africa was invaded? It was a 60 year effort of colonization and it proved unsuccessful. Though contrary to common thought, walking in and taking Africa for whatever reasons would be a war you wouldn't want to fight. Europeans came back to Africa and were welcomed back as long lost brothers and were even deified at first. That welcome was forsaken, the invaders sought to seize power, and the effort was eventually quelled. To a next invader that welcome would be less welcome and suspicions would be roused from the get go. Whereas last time it took awhile for resistance to form this time it would be from the word go.

Yes, to the astute, it is very apparent that far away powers tend to exploit resources that exist in Africa's backyard...

As for the social ills that continue to plague Africa...I am not saying Africa doesn't have more pressing concerns, but again we are talking quite some time into the future and it needs to be talked about now.

In the end the West likes to paint Africa as a bleak and desperate continent. However they fail to ask themselves, if Africa is so desperate then what is there to lose? You either do this and fail and nothing changes, or you do it and succeed and everything does. So, what is the motivation not to?

Only my wife could answer that satisfactorily. I wish I knew her such that she was able to. Any advice there?

Last edited by gumisgood; 10-30-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 AM

922 posts, read 805,797 times
Quote:
The date is 2048? I remember that to be generally correct. It is 2015 so we are talking 33 years into the future, though I would recommend that that date is jumped so as to ensure at least a stake. You are very right however that most military resources are imported and as of right now, I think that is overall best. I do not know the strongest militaries in Africa, however collectively..and this effort would have to be collective...it is at least a starting point. I would encourage the AU to bid a stake in Antarctica because, as of right now, it is only South Africa that has any claim to the continent and Antarctica is likely to prove itself a valuable resource. Of course they should go through the diplomatic channels as far as that is possible but I personally would not be opposed to a military option for this, after all Africa does have the natural advantage of global position and some time to strategically place itself.

Pursuing nuclear technology isn't the sole enterprise of Western powers. In global affairs if you are not a nuclear power you are hardly a power.
If the West imagines themselves to be the sole possessors of nuclear technology in perpetuity they will eventually find themselves mistaken. And beyond that, South Africa was once a nuclear power..the technology itself is not foreign to the continent.

Sanctions are only a concern, it is often that sanctions are being levied on African governments. I doubt that in and of itself would hinder the effort.

As far as invasions, may I remind you what happened the last time Africa was invaded? It was a 60 year effort of colonization and it proved unsuccessful. Though contrary to common thought, walking in and taking Africa for whatever reasons would be a war you wouldn't want to fight. Europeans came back to Africa and were welcomed back as long lost brothers and were even deified at first. That welcome was forsaken, the invaders sought to seize power, and the effort was eventually quelled. To a next invader that welcome would be less welcome and suspicions would be roused from the get go. Whereas last time it took awhile for resistance to form this time it would be from the word go.

Yes, to the astute, it is very apparent that far away powers tend to exploit resources that exist in Africa's backyard...

As for the social ills that continue to plague Africa...I am not saying Africa doesn't have more pressing concerns, but again we are talking quite some time into the future and it needs to be talked about now.

In the end the West likes to paint Africa as a bleak and desperate continent. However they fail to ask themselves, if Africa is so desperate then what is there to lose? You either do this and fail and nothing changes, or you do it and succeed and everything does. So, what is the motivation not to?

Only my wife could answer that satisfactorily. I wish I knew her such that she was able to. Any advice there?

All black people should unite together, that will be difficult since there is so much conflict. Africa needs to build its infrastructure and education. Lastly, can Africans build large weapons and an efficient military? The Chinese already has a foot hold in Africa, they will use it as a port or military base in the future. Indians are coming too. At this stage it doesn't look too good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa