Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:11 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times

Advertisements

For some reason archaic admixture in Africans isn't as widely known as is denisovans and neanderthals in non-Europeans.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3174671/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
How much did this back migration of Eurasian people into North Africa affect the ancient Egyptian population?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How much did this back migration of Eurasian people into North Africa affect the ancient Egyptian population?

I'm guessing by ancient Egyptian population you are referring to prior to 2150 BCE.

A few points to consider

1. The current evidence indicates that there were multiple waves of back migration of Eurasians.

2. Scientists would need DNA samples from different regions of Egypt during the same period to establish a baseline.

3. I'm not sure you will find a period in Egypt within the last 15,000 years free of back migration and it likely precedes that period as hunter gatherers were very mobile.

4. I think the Halocene wet Phase of Northern Africa accelerated migration into North Africa especially since Mesopotamia and the Levant were experiencing an extended drought about 7,000-8,000 years BCE.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

I'm guessing by ancient Egyptian population you are referring to prior to 2150 BCE.
Yes. One reason for my question is because I've noticed that those who lean towards the view that the Egypt of the pre-dynastic and old kingdom periods was primarily made up of indigenous Africans say that with the belief that Egypt didn't start to become mixed until the coming of the Hyksos. They don't seem to take into account the earlier migration of Eurasian people before the Hyksos. So I was wondering what the impact of these earlier Eurasian migrations were on the pre-dynastic Egyptian population?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Please, please, please STOP! Just stop lumping the 22 distinct genetic groups that make up "Sub-Saharan" Africans into one fantastical group of humans.

For example, the Wodaabe a sub-group of the Fulani ethnic group who inhabit Niger, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Nigeria have the same facial features that you ascribe to Ethiopians, a nation with 80 distinct ethnic groups.

The Wodaabe of Central Africa.

Anuak of Ethiopia
The Ethiopians are a distinctive group, IMHO. I can always distinguish them from other Africans- they generally have small features, large foreheads, sharper noses and slender builds. They reflect admixture with arabic and caucasian races. In the same manner, Japanese are distinct from Koreans, Mongolians, and Vietnamese.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Yes. One reason for my question is because I've noticed that those who lean towards the view that the Egypt of the pre-dynastic and old kingdom periods was primarily made up of indigenous Africans say that with the belief that Egypt didn't start to become mixed until the coming of the Hyksos. They don't seem to take into account the earlier migration of Eurasian people before the Hyksos. So I was wondering what the impact of these earlier Eurasian migrations were on the pre-dynastic Egyptian population?
If anything new comes out from that period I'll post it.

This isn't from that period but still interesting I think it's important to look at the totality of the information and it comes out in bits usually.

Genes | Free Full-Text | Complete Mitochondrial Genome Sequencing of a Burial from a Romano

Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
All European populations carry DNA from the Neolithic Farmers that left the Middle East 7,000 - 8,000 years ago. I carry more DNA from the Mediterranean Farmers(from the same stock as the Eurasians that spread into E. Africa 3,000 YBP) than the original Europeans who were the Hunter Gatherers.

Population
Anatolian Farmer 11.50%
Baltic Hunter Gatherer 35.53%
Middle Eastern Herder 7.22%
East Asian Farmer 0.30%
South American Hunter Gatherer -
South Asian Hunter Gatherer -
North Eurasian Hunter Gatherer -
East African Pastoralist 1.83%
Oceanian Hunter Gatherer -
Mediterranean Farmer 42.23%
Pygmy Hunter Gatherer 1.09%
Bantu Farmer 0.28%
Baltic hunter gatherer? Did they give you a haplogroup for that? Do you have haplogroup N3 or N1c (same thing, different label) in your mix? That's what some call the "reindeer-herder gene", that Balts & Estonians have at a fairly high frequency.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Baltic hunter gatherer? Did they give you a haplogroup for that? Do you have haplogroup N3 or N1c (same thing, different label) in your mix? That's what some call the "reindeer-herder gene", that Balts & Estonians have at a fairly high frequency.
N1c exists in my ethnic group but less than 1%.

MtDNA and Y-DNA percentages found in specific genetic populations don't correlate percentage wise to autosomal DNA results. The "Baltic" results in my case I think could be partially picking up a significant amount of European Hunter-Gatherer and that would be mostly Y-DNA I2a and mtDNA U5a in my case.(That's what the Archaic DNA samples from my place of origin indicate).

There has been a huge amount of mobility among European populations within the last 4,000 years.(But that's not what this thread is about).

Old 10-29-2017, 01:06 PM

Just to point something out. The researchers involved had to make some changes to their findings. They found that this Eurasian DNA only touched people in east Africa and not across the continent as they originally thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/s...rs-report.html

Old 10-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Just to point something out. The researchers involved had to make some changes to their findings. They found that this Eurasian DNA only touched people in east Africa and not across the continent as they originally thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/s...rs-report.html
You are correct I pointed that out in post #55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa