Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Europe has been prosperous for thousands of years. That Africans had any part whatsoever in "building Europe" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And even if they did work as slaves here, it doesn't mean they built Europe. It's the brains that build things. The architects. The artists. Kings and businessmen who supply the money. Not the workers themselves, for they are always replaceable. Benjamin Franklin, Henry Ford, Andrew Carnegie, Cornelius Vanderbilt, John D Rockefeller, Andrew Mellon... those are the guys that built America, not the peasants picking the cotton (whether they'd be White or Black).

By the way, fun fact: Black men were about 10 times as likely to own black slaves in America compared to White people. White people saved black people from the terrible conditions in Africa. White people freed them from the slavery that they were already in when they bought them from African slave traders. Black people in America should thank White people for everything that they have.

Stop being such racists people. White people are not evil.
So many straw mans in this post, and this post is highly racist

1. "Europe has been prosperous for thousands of years' that statement is so abstract, Considering humans existed for 200,000 but Mesopotamia came just the 4th millennium BC, And Greece came 800 BC. There is no "thousands" of years of prosperous. The Action really just started last 2 to 3. And that just in select places What are you talking about?..... Never mind don't even answer that.

2. You took "building Europe" in a very strange defensive way Almost as if some one said Black Slaves in America exclusively build Europe and you made argument that no one was suggesting. Clearly Europeans contribute the most to their countries, the point was they greatly benefited from exploiting of Slavery, And the counter argument is?

3. And Your " fun fact" is untrue, and completely random, it's pretty much oh let me insert this cause we're talking about black people.

4. You know blandly well you know nothing about African history, You comment just showed your ignorance please let not go there.

4. Name one person in this thread that even suggested white people are evil? So you saw "Blacks + talking Slavery" ..... and you concluded "= dislike white" people cause your racist.

Last edited by chiatldal; 07-20-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:24 AM

861 posts, read 852,004 times
The individual with the username svedski is a known supremacist.

Respond to that user's posts accordingly (Ignore them)

Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,806 times
Actually I have to say free blacks in the south were actually more likely to own slaves. Only 1.5% of white Americans owned slaves. That's 6% of whites in the south, compared to 28% to free blacks in the south. The first slave to be LEGALLY owned was by Anthony Johnson, he was once a slave then owned white and black slaves. Slavery was a really common thing and socially expectable threw out the whole world. The west was the last to use large scale slavery and was the first to end it. Black Africans sold themselves to these people in need of slavery so where else would you go to Africa. Just like now when we need cheap labor we go to China. They are basically slaves there. Arabs also massively sold Africans everywhere. They the Arabs also stole Europeans occasionally too. The ottomans would frequently take white European males to be janissaries (or however you spell it). For the new world slaves TONS of Irish became slaves I don't recall the exact amount but that is forgotten. It's a pretty large number too! Do Irish lives not matter? I am not trying to make that a pun. I am serious I get so angry at the history we are not taught!

I learned too that the slavery affects on Africa basically made them practice polygamy because there weren't enough men and made the tribes go to warm with each other so the Kings could get more people. Anyways I am just trying to STREES that slavery was pretty much NEVER a racial thing Just a socially expectable thing to do. Like maybe in the future there will be an outrage that we have slaves built our products. Anyways that's the effects of the European slave trade on Africa. I don't know much about the Arab slave trade except it was MUCH longer and lasted MUCH longer. I am so upset to that most people don't know this! We need like a MAJOR memorial that commemorates all the major lives lost not just in wars but genocides and slavery! And we should use it as an educational piece so we remember the lost lives. It would be cool if it was a big popular tourist attraction like the 9/11 memorials. Their lives shouldn't be forgotten by the mainstream.

I think slavery probably helped Britain get more money which we all know the effects of that. But to what extent I have no idea. Same with America. Oh wait I just looked at your original question sorry I'm off topic! But anyways wasn't most of Europe already developed? If anything I think slavery just helped their economics for a few years. Without the slavery they wouldn't have had as much money and control. So overall they just would have been less powerful for a while. I AM ASSUMING too by just using logical thoughts for this last paragraph.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Actually I have to say free blacks in the south were actually more likely to own slaves. Only 1.5% of white Americans owned slaves. That's 6% of whites in the south, compared to 28% to free blacks in the south. The first slave to be LEGALLY owned was by Anthony Johnson, he was once a slave then owned white and black slaves. Slavery was a really common thing and socially expectable threw out the whole world. The west was the last to use large scale slavery and was the first to end it. Black Africans sold themselves to these people in need of slavery so where else would you go to Africa. Just like now when we need cheap labor we go to China. They are basically slaves there. Arabs also massively sold Africans everywhere. They the Arabs also stole Europeans occasionally too. The ottomans would frequently take white European males to be janissaries (or however you spell it). For the new world slaves TONS of Irish became slaves I don't recall the exact amount but that is forgotten. It's a pretty large number too! Do Irish lives not matter? I am not trying to make that a pun. I am serious I get so angry at the history we are not taught!

I learned too that the slavery affects on Africa basically made them practice polygamy because there weren't enough men and made the tribes go to warm with each other so the Kings could get more people. Anyways I am just trying to STREES that slavery was pretty much NEVER a racial thing Just a socially expectable thing to do. Like maybe in the future there will be an outrage that we have slaves built our products. Anyways that's the effects of the European slave trade on Africa. I don't know much about the Arab slave trade except it was MUCH longer and lasted MUCH longer. I am so upset to that most people don't know this! We need like a MAJOR memorial that commemorates all the major lives lost not just in wars but genocides and slavery! And we should use it as an educational piece so we remember the lost lives. It would be cool if it was a big popular tourist attraction like the 9/11 memorials. Their lives shouldn't be forgotten by the mainstream.

I think slavery probably helped Britain get more money which we all know the effects of that. But to what extent I have no idea. Same with America. Oh wait I just looked at your original question sorry I'm off topic! But anyways wasn't most of Europe already developed? If anything I think slavery just helped their economics for a few years. Without the slavery they wouldn't have had as much money and control. So overall they just would have been less powerful for a while. I AM ASSUMING too by just using logical thoughts for this last paragraph.

Your right slavery is not associate with race but the trans Atlantic slave trade it was. Also slavery is broad thing with different conditions. And not all slavery thought history has the same characteristics of slavery in the Americas. That because the Americas became chattel slavery base on race..... Historically slavery was war captive, in debt or indentured servitude, or criminals.

I notice a lot people mention slavery in Africa almost like, Africans Taught European slavery and European couldn't refuse the new concept to them, and Africans told them slave them, we selling people because there Black and we want yall to mistreat them and slave them for life base on their race. This did not happen.

You actually very wrong The West had "large scale slavery" no different from Africa, Asia and etc. The Roman Empire, Vikings, Germanic tribes, celtic and etc cultures practiced "large scale slavery" During the late middle age European churches ban slavery to Christians, Christians were whites in Europe, but during age of exploration double standards and racist views came forth. So even if a person color became christian they still justify it, Slavery is not associate with race but in the context of the Trans Atlantic slave from European Trading companies, and Churches it completely was. Curse of Ham was often use as a justification, that people of color are darker because they are curse therefore they are okay to slave.

Basically slavery was something nearly in every culture but color blind, White slaved Whites, Blacks Slaved Blacks, Amerindian Slaved Amerindian, Asians Slaved Asians. Race was something completely irreverent. So Ancient Ghana in Africa... or Roman Empire across Europe and the Mediterranean practice slavery. ...... People wasn't slaves because of there race, And The Americas how ever there was a racial motivation. They didn't go to Africa because Africa was unique slave market. They went Africa because they wasn't white. And Native American was dying from diseases. So they went to next place of non white people which was Africa

Which bring me to the next point...... The term slavery can be use loosely. Covers war captive, in debt or indentured servitude, or criminals. We naturally think of life, birth into Chantel Slavery in the Americas as "slavery" So when we say "Slavery in Africa" we think was the same condition as that in America that people was born into slavery for life. No in Africa there was a lot of war, Kingdoms capture and sold other kingdoms. indentured servant were sold. So people found themselves from being indentured servant because they owe someone in Africa, or their village was capture........... to suddenly they was slaves for life in the Americas and there kids was to be born into slavery. Not the same thing.

In the Early states of the American colonies there were white indentured servitude, Many European could not afford to travel the Journey and provide for themselves in the new world. So they became under contract indentured servitude they worked for the person they owed. indentured servitude was not the cruel Chantel Slavery Blacks experience antebellum. Being born into slavery because of race for life is a very different thing from working off owed debt for a few years. There was Black, White, indentured servitude in the colonies there never was Irish Chantel Slavery in the colonies. This was actually color Blind Blacks have more rights in early days in colonies, Then it shifted full blown life slavery base off race. Anthony Johnson own white and Black indentured servants not the Chantel Slavery. Later the colonies went from a color blind indentured servitude system to a racial Chantel Slavery.

PBS Doc 5:35 to 8:00 speaks on Anthony Johnson,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WiaKtc6irg

The number of freed Blacks owning slaves was dwarf, by the number of white slave holders so your statistics is hugely misleading. The percentages of freed blacks owning slaves was higher because the general raw number of free Black pales in comparison to Free whites.

Let end post like this ... Pointing out A Black person owning slaves, selling Slaves, sucking up to slave holders to Blacks are call Uncle Toms, Pointing out Blacks that did stuff like is pointless, Blacks are already aware of this and dis like them. It doesn't change the general society had racist caste system it just means, Some Blacks were uncle toms and was just as bad. The point isn't to blame whites, but to discuss history.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Aside from the fact that many "slaves" owned by free blacks were often their relatives. It became more and more difficult for newly freed slaves to remain in slave holding states over time, so in order to keep the family united often times free blacks had to buy their family members, and keep them enslaved so that they wouldn't be forced to have to leave the state.

And moving North wasn't always the answer given that kidnappings occurred there, often based on a false premise that the free black was a runaway slave. The movie "12 years a slave" dealt with this issue.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Aside from the fact that many "slaves" owned by free blacks were often their relatives. It became more and more difficult for newly freed slaves to remain in slave holding states over time, so in order to keep the family united often times free blacks had to buy their family members, and keep them enslaved so that they wouldn't be forced to have to leave the state.

And moving North wasn't always the answer given that kidnappings occurred there, often based on a false premise that the free black was a runaway slave. The movie "12 years a slave" dealt with this issue.

That is a little known fact but very true.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:00 AM

22 posts, read 15,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post

This is how you can spot a person who tries to convince people to believe a certain thing without going in depth with the reality of the situations they're speaking upon. You have to understand that African slaves were tortured out of their names, tortured out of their history, tortured out of their families and tribes, tortured out of their religions and spiritualities and tortured out of their dignity and self-respect! You failed to make that point. Slavery lasted for centuries and during this process many African slaves were already brainwashed into thinking they were inferior and the fact they were forced to worship a white Jesus didn't make things no better. African slaves were the products of white supremacy therefore of course you had what you would call "Uncle Toms", "Sambos", "coons", or race traitors who didn't know any better because they were programmed to be inferior and hate themselves since birth.

This wasn't the Holocaust that only lasted about 12 years. American slavery lasted more than 200 years! This was over 200 years of brainwashing and being dehumanized as a people from generation to generation so of course you had Blacks who had slaves because they didn't know any better, they're grandparents and great grandparents were slaves. They were born into hell. What about the Jews that sold each other into the Holocaust!? Why we never talk about that!?!? This "brainwashed" tactic is the same thing that happened to Africans in Africa before the transatlantic when the Arabs colonized and enslaved portions of Africa, which is why majority of the African slaves who were sent to the Americas were Muslims and this a FACT! Which is why dumb individuals with no knowledge of history say "Africans sold other Africans" without giving the historic details since these Africans were a products of Muslim rule and only 1.5% of Africans sold other Africans into slavery, you can look this up. Just like I said before, Jews sold out other Jews to Adolf Hitler and the Nazis, but we never bring this up!

All I'm saying is you can't just say things without stating the reality of the situation. Yea Blacks had slaves and yes you had "Black slavers." I know you seen Samuel L. Jackson in the movie Django. That is the perfect example of somebody who's been a slave all his life and doesn't know any better, it's not Africans fault they enslaved each other and it's almost like you're trying to justify American slavery by saying "Black people had slaves too!" Another perfect example would be the guy you named by the name of Anthony Johnson... Anthony Johnson is the most European name you can find and you already said he was a slave which is how he got the name "Anthony Johnson", he was already property of a white man therefore Anthony Johnson's mindset and actions were also a product of white supremacy. So no matter how you want to look at it, everything still falls on the people who brought the African slaves to the western hemisphere.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 AM

Now let me explain something. I'm no scholar on European history but I'm definitely an scholar on Kemetic/Egyptian history and by studying the history of the Kemetic people I came to the understanding that the Greeks got their knowledge from the Kemetians in ancient KMT. First you had the Mycenaeans who lived in cities, created art and established trade with foreigners but this culture failed and collapsed. Greek tribes came from the North. Trade ceased and Greece turned inward. For about 500 years Greece stood silent, in what historians calls the "Greek Dark Ages" and then a new dawn broke over Greece. Trade resumed and once separated city-states became united as a democratic republic... Greece as we know was born.

It is well documented that Greek thinker and philosophers traveled to Kemet to expand their knowledge. When the Greek scholars Thales, Hippocrates, Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato and others traveled to Kemet, they studied at the temple-university's Waset and Ipet Isut. Here, the Greeks were inducted into a wide curriclum that encompaased both the esoteric as well as the practical. Thales was the first to go to Kemet where he was introduced to the Kemetic mystery system, the knowledge that formed the basis of Kemites understanding of the world, which had been developed over the previous 4,500 years. After he returned, Thales made a name for himself by accurately predicting a solar eclipse and demonstrating how to measure the distance of a ship at sea. He also encouraged others to visit Kemet to study.

In Kemet, Hippocrates, the "father of medicine," learned of disease from the previous explorations of Imhotep, who established diagnostic medicine 2,500 years earlier. This early renaissance man, priest, astronomer and physician was described as "the first figure of a physician to stand out clearly in the mists of antiquity" by the British medical trailblazer William Osler [source: Osler]. In Kemet, Pythagoras, the "father of mathematics," learned calculus and geometry from the Kemetic priests based on a millennia-old papyrus. These men are not the father of anything, you see how Eurocentricity takes over and lies about history!!!

None of this is to say that the Greeks were without their own ideas. On the contrary, the Greeks appeared to have formed their own interpretations of what they learned in Kemet. Nor did the Greeks ever deny the credit due the Kemites for their education. "Egypt was the cradle of mathematics," Aristotle wrote [source: Van Sertima]. But one could make the case that the Greeks also felt that they were destined to build upon what they'd learned from the Kemites. The Kemetic education was meant to last 40 years, although no Greek thinker is known to have made it through the entire process. Pythagoras is believed to have made it the furthest, having studied in Kemet for 23 years [source: Person-Lynn]. The Greeks seem to have put their own spin on what knowledge they'd learned.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemetic Science View Post

Now let me explain something. I'm no scholar on European history but I'm definitely an scholar on Kemetic/Egyptian history and by studying the history of the Kemetic people I came to the understanding that the Greeks got their knowledge from the Kemetians in ancient KMT. First you had the Mycenaeans who lived in cities, created art and established trade with foreigners but this culture failed and collapsed. Greek tribes came from the North. Trade ceased and Greece turned inward. For about 500 years Greece stood silent, in what historians calls the "Greek Dark Ages" and then a new dawn broke over Greece. Trade resumed and once separated city-states became united as a democratic republic... Greece as we know was born.

It is well documented that Greek thinker and philosophers traveled to Kemet to expand their knowledge. When the Greek scholars Thales, Hippocrates, Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato and others traveled to Kemet, they studied at the temple-university's Waset and Ipet Isut. Here, the Greeks were inducted into a wide curriclum that encompaased both the esoteric as well as the practical. Thales was the first to go to Kemet where he was introduced to the Kemetic mystery system, the knowledge that formed the basis of Kemites understanding of the world, which had been developed over the previous 4,500 years. After he returned, Thales made a name for himself by accurately predicting a solar eclipse and demonstrating how to measure the distance of a ship at sea. He also encouraged others to visit Kemet to study.

In Kemet, Hippocrates, the "father of medicine," learned of disease from the previous explorations of Imhotep, who established diagnostic medicine 2,500 years earlier. This early renaissance man, priest, astronomer and physician was described as "the first figure of a physician to stand out clearly in the mists of antiquity" by the British medical trailblazer William Osler [source: Osler]. In Kemet, Pythagoras, the "father of mathematics," learned calculus and geometry from the Kemetic priests based on a millennia-old papyrus. These men are not the father of anything, you see how Eurocentricity takes over and lies about history!!!

None of this is to say that the Greeks were without their own ideas. On the contrary, the Greeks appeared to have formed their own interpretations of what they learned in Kemet. Nor did the Greeks ever deny the credit due the Kemites for their education. "Egypt was the cradle of mathematics," Aristotle wrote [source: Van Sertima]. But one could make the case that the Greeks also felt that they were destined to build upon what they'd learned from the Kemites. The Kemetic education was meant to last 40 years, although no Greek thinker is known to have made it through the entire process. Pythagoras is believed to have made it the furthest, having studied in Kemet for 23 years [source: Person-Lynn]. The Greeks seem to have put their own spin on what knowledge they'd learned.
I want to throw some things out there.

1.Do any Egyptologist support what you're saying?

2. Civilization did not start in Egypt but in Mesopotamia with the Sumerians of modern day Iraq. Egypt came second as far as civilization. Most archaeologist agree on this.

3. It is known that the Greeks did borrow various ideas from other people. The Greeks got their alphabet from the Phoenicians.

4. Mathematics wasn't invented in Egypt alone. Mathematics had contributions from various ancient people especially the Babylonians,also of Mesopotamia. The Greeks were also influenced by Babylonian mathematics.

Example:

Pythagoras, a math genius? Not by Babylonian standards - CNN.com

Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I want to throw some things out there.

1.Do any Egyptologist support what you're saying?

2. Civilization did not start in Egypt but in Mesopotamia with the Sumerians of modern day Iraq. Egypt came second as far as civilization. Most archaeologist agree on this.

3. It is known that the Greeks did borrow various ideas from other people. The Greeks got their alphabet from the Phoenicians.

4. Mathematics wasn't invented in Egypt alone. Mathematics had contributions from various ancient people especially the Babylonians,also of Mesopotamia. The Greeks were also influenced by Babylonian mathematics.

Example:

Pythagoras, a math genius? Not by Babylonian standards - CNN.com
Anybody who studies ancient Kemet would know the Greeks came to Kemet to learn. This is a well known fact that the ancient Greeks even acknowledged also, and for the record Egyptology is an off brand version of true Kemetic history. Many people including myself has debunked Egyptology for years. There is no such thing as Egyptology. Civilization did not start in Mesopotamia that is not backed up by any archeological evidence, that lie came from Bible thumpers and Jews who wanted to justify their "beliefs" of civilization starting in the Middle East and not Africa to back up the false historical claims of their religious doctrines.

I never said Kemet was the first African civilization. There were numerous of African civilizations that pre dates ancient Kemet including ancient Nubia that pre dates ancient Kemet by about 200 years, and Nubia definitely pre dates ancient Sumeria. Ancient Kemet is just the best preserved civilization that exposed the true knowledge of our African ancestors. There's numerous of African civilizations that predates ancient Kemet and ancient Sumeria. Mathematics was invented in Africa including writing, but nowhere in the Middle East. The oldest mathematical instrument is the Lebombo bone discovered in the mountains of Swaziland that dates back 35,000 BC. The Lebombo bone predates Mesopotamia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa